Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did my first one this mng in Naas, just under 70 runners and ideal conditions. Have to say it was really well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good turn out in kilkenny for the first Park run, I'd say maybe 200? Shame about the fog.[/url]

Fog made it great I thought. There were four of us down from Belfast, five if you count one of the volunteers.
    They changed the route at the last minute though which caused at least one runner to be sent the wrong way on the final lap. He ended up running an extra 400 metres, when he had been on for a top 5 finish.
    Three times up the hill to the start/finish line made it tougher than I thought it would be, but I'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Quite a few Parkrun's on the horizon and I know they are hopefully expanding around the country. Once word spread they start springing up in clusters. I think there is one in the pipeline for Sligo and a few more areas have expressed an interest

Sligo would be nice. Not too bad a trip from Belfast.

A couple other Dublin venues are being talked about in addition to Hartstown and Poppintree, which are both coming on board in November. Shanganagh is one and Bushy Park in Rathfarnham is another. I think the idea there is to take some of the crowds away from Marlay.

On FB, parkrun Ireland said they also had agreement with JFK in Wexford and funding in place - all they need is a start-up team. Tralee is coming along nicely as well.

And just when it appears the south is overtaking the north, a couple new events in Derry are apparently going to start up next year, one in Limavady - I'm guessing at Roe Valley, which is beautiful.

I'm looking forward to both Laois and Clare now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Tralee Park Run, that's just lovely now (down there a good bit as my wife is from that part of the world)....any idea of the route/location?

• Advertisement

Hartstown now starting on Nov 15 so no clash with Ballina on Nov 22 if running inaugurals is your thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

is there any park run scheduled for either cork or limerick city?

who_ru wrote: »

There are three in Co Cork - Macroom, Clonakilty and Bere Island. I think the issue in the city is finding a suitable park.

Clarisford in Killaloe, which starts on Oct 25, will be the closest to Limerick city to date. It's only about half an hour from the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

I got in touch with Matt previously about one in Cork city but for some reason only a few people were interested. Lack of a location is one of the problems, the park out where the old dump was has been just about to open for over three years now and is still nowhere to be seen! Anyone remember the 5k race there back in '11?

As well the rep from the HSE seems to be looking for someone to provide funding so I wasn't too much use as I'm only representing myself instead of a company or body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

opus wrote: »
    I got in touch with Matt previously about one in Cork city but for some reason only a few people were interested. Lack of a location is one of the problems, the park out where the old dump was has been just about to open for over three years now and is still nowhere to be seen! Anyone remember the 5k race there back in '11?

As well the rep from the HSE seems to be looking for someone to provide funding so I wasn't too much use as I'm only representing myself instead of a company or body.

The regional park in Ballincollig would be an option but i spose it was take from Macroom a bit which is a small enough parkrun already.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    The regional park in Ballincollig would be an option but i spose it was take from Macroom a bit which is a small enough parkrun already.

Ormeau, Victoria and Queen's are all within a couple of miles of each other in Belfast and they all have healthy numbers. Many runners alternate for a change of course and scenery or a different challenge.

Same with Falls and Waterworks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It probably takes a while to get a good core group of people running parkruns in an area. But there are now four in and around Bristol, with two of them having started up only a week apart I think as well. For some unknown reason though the toughest course is still the busiest, runners are weird, but each is slightly different and I have different reasons for picking which one I'll go to each week. The addition of each new course hasn't really made much of a difference to the other events though, there may be a slight drop off in the first week as people go to claim a first event, but there are always new parkrunners appearing to run in the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Ormeau, Victoria and Queen's are all within a couple of miles of each other in Belfast and they all have healthy numbers. Many runners alternate for a change of course and scenery or a different challenge.

Same with Falls and Waterworks.

Fair enough but I would imagine there is a larger population base there than in the surrounding areas of Macroom/Ballincollig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Fair enough but I would imagine there is a larger population base there than in the surrounding areas of Macroom/Ballincollig

Just slightly:D

opus wrote: »

It's kind of incedible that there isn't a suitable location or park within cork city limits to hold a 5k run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm really looking forward to my first taste of parkrun in Cootehill in a few weeks. I'm just coming back from yet another injury so I'll be taking it handy but there should be a good buzz about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Hey two quick questions.

does the same barcode work for differnt Parkruns or would i need a differnt one for each?

and planning on running Marley or Tymon tommorrow? would people have a prefrence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

aodea wrote: »
    Hey two quick questions.

does the same barcode work for differnt Parkruns or would i need a differnt one for each?

and planning on running Marley or Tymon tommorrow? would people have a prefrence?

Same one, it's like your ID for the runs, gathers all your info.

Do you have to print it out and wear it like a race number or could you get it laminated on a little card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Do you have to print it out and wear it like a race number or could you get it laminated on a little card?

you can get it laminated. there are also companies that will print it onto a keyring fob, or a wristband, for you.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    you can get it laminated. there are also companies that will print it onto a keyring fob, or a wristband, for you.

That's great, I can get it laminated at work next week and see how that works out. I can see about getting a wristband after a while, cheers.

Hey two quick questions.

Tymon isn't as busy as Marlay, which gets about 500 runners every week. Tymon's course is quite quick as well.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to my first taste of parkrun in Cootehill in a few weeks. I'm just coming back from yet another injury so I'll be taking it handy but there should be a good buzz about it.

I miss the Cootehill inaugural but hope to get along to the 2nd one. It looks like it'll be a picturesque course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

It would be very good I'd say, went through there recently & it's really been done up well. Location would be ok as well as I probably wouldn't bother with a parkrun that I had to drive to, Ballincollig is within cycling distance.
    It's kind of incedible that there isn't a suitable location or park within cork city limits to hold a 5k run.

Open to suggestions :)

If anyone is interested in trying to get one off the ground fire me a pm & I'll send round another email & add you to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd recommend that people go to Tymon, because Marlay is getting ridiculously big (500?) while Tymon I think maxes out at 100, it would make sense to spread the runners more evenly between the races

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

let me also extend an invite to Griffeen ( the Friendly parkrun :-) ) just a hop skip and a jump down the M50 and N4 , or indeed Waterstown same directions just turn right instead of Left at the N4 :-)

Is Griffeen before or after the toll?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Is Griffeen before or after the toll?

Depends where you are starting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

http://goo.gl/maps/UG5s1

if you are going north on the M50 the turn off for the N4 west is BEFORE the tolls keep going west - Exit 4 is the Newcastle road ,turn left at top of off ramp - through the first roundabout to set of lights , turn left at lights 200m to roundabout turn right , 50 m to lynches lane entrance of Griffeen park - car parking available ( although it does fill up ) I'll be doing stopwatch ...drop over and say Hi :-)

• Advertisement

Amigaman wrote: »
    let me also extend an invite to Griffeen ( the Friendly parkrun :-) ) just a hop skip and a jump down the M50 and N4 , or indeed Waterstown same directions just turn right instead of Left at the N4 :-)

I'd 2nd waterstown, lovely route and looking to attract more runners. Take a left at the lights in palmerstown (coming from n4 or m50), then left again and right after the Palmerstown house pub, entrance is into Stewart's leisure complex car park, there's a gate on the left there that leads down into the park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement