Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

compaq presario cq60 laptop black screen.

• 03-01-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A mate had a problem with the screen going black on him a while back.
    Powered on with the power led on etc but no display.
    He brought it to a place, paid 160 or 180 euro to get it fixed.
    They didnt say exactly what they did but mentioned motherboard.
    He got a 3 month warranty on it and it went 4 days after the warranty expired.
    Brought it back to the place who said they would only charge him 100 this time as he was a valued customer.

He gave it to me to have a look at it, given my knowledge is quite basic I tried the usual things:

Took the battery out, pressed the power for 30 seconds and put it back and tried to boot it.
    Again led for power comes on but nothing for HDD led.
    I put a dvd in the drive and it spins up and sounds like it is reading it?
    I tried reseating the ram, tried hooking up an external display both HDMI and VGA but couldnt seem to get it to switch.
    Took the Hard drive out and hooked it up to my mac and could see the folders etc (have a windows VM)

Not sure what to tell him , I read about GPU issues and that a reflow could fix it?
    Is there anyway I can determine if it is a motherboard issue or GPU issue or is it the same thing?
    Also not sure if its a graphics card or chipset on the mobo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am at a loss to know how the repair shop fixed it in the first place unless they reballed it and it went again.

Cheers.
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Connect it to an external monitor if it displays then its not the GPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I tried that...
    It doesnt seem to switch to external display so not sure if its GPU or not.
    Sorry I did say that in my post..
    Cheers for the reply though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

sham69 wrote: »
    Hi,
    A mate had a problem with the screen going black on him a while back.
    Powered on with the power led on etc but no display.
    He brought it to a place, paid 160 or 180 euro to get it fixed.
    They didnt say exactly what they did but mentioned motherboard.
    He got a 3 month warranty on it and it went 4 days after the warranty expired.
    Brought it back to the place who said they would only charge him 100 this time as he was a valued customer.

He gave it to me to have a look at it, given my knowledge is quite basic I tried the usual things:

Took the battery out, pressed the power for 30 seconds and put it back and tried to boot it.
    Again led for power comes on but nothing for HDD led.
    I put a dvd in the drive and it spins up and sounds like it is reading it?
    I tried reseating the ram, tried hooking up an external display both HDMI and VGA but couldnt seem to get it to switch.
    Took the Hard drive out and hooked it up to my mac and could see the folders etc (have a windows VM)

Not sure what to tell him , I read about GPU issues and that a reflow could fix it?
    Is there anyway I can determine if it is a motherboard issue or GPU issue or is it the same thing?
    Also not sure if its a graphics card or chipset on the mobo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am at a loss to know how the repair shop fixed it in the first place unless they reballed it and it went again.

Cheers.
    Sham.

The screen going black could be the inverter cable the connections to the motherboard broken or unplugged or faulty LCD panel..

For not detecting the HDD if's it's working on other comps. The could be a bios issue or faulty Sata port on the mobo.. Or the motherboard could be just fudged.. Hard to tell without seeing the laptop..

I have a cq60 it cost like €350 like 3 years ago.. Spending over half if that on repair is stupidity just recycle it and get a new one would be my advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Same issue here now with a 5+ year old machine, Compaq Presario CQ60.
    Any cheap solutions found, I'll do some debugging this evening.
    Definitely not worth fixing if more than 50euro in my opinion.

Advertisement