Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITV Channels - Poor Picture Quality

• 03-01-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

Have the UPC HD DVR Box . I have noticed that all the ITV 1,2,3 etc Channels are of very "Poor Picture Quality" . Is this standard ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Mine too.

They have a section on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Same via Sky so unlikely to be a UPC issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

DominoDub wrote: »
    Have the UPC HD DVR Box . I have noticed that all the ITV 1,2,3 etc Channels are of very "Poor Picture Quality" . Is this standard ?

I've been on to them for a number of years about this. Seemingly it's an issue with the quality of the signal / the compression of the signal they get from UTV. It's just massively compressed compared to other channels.

Take for example, TV3, it shows most of what UTV shows (Xfactor for example), but the compression on TV3 is far less than that on UTV. It's just a dirty smudgy mess in comparison.
    Keep at UPC though... I know I do. Maybe they'll get the finger out and actually get UTV to decrease the compression on their systems feeding UPC!

Maybe they'll get the finger out and actually get UTV to decrease the compression on their systems feeding UPC!

UTV (and the other ITVs) are also crap on Sky so I can't see how UPC can be blamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've been on to them for a number of years about this. Seemingly it's an issue with the quality of the signal / the compression of the signal they get from UTV. It's just massively compressed compared to other channels.

That's quite evident when you look at the X-Factor (purely for research of course ;) ). When contestants come on to sing and do their acts, there are lots of laser beams flashing all over the place and the aggressive video compression makes them all jagged.

But even basic stuff like the ITV weather forecast is poor quality, I was watching a pretty lady waving her hands over a map the other night and couldn't believe how poor the picture was, even her face showed signs of too much video compression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Why would UTV/ITV compress their signal so much and leave customers so pissed off? Surely their advertisers wouldn't like their commercials to appear distorted, or potential customers to avoid the station because of the poor picture quality.
    Havn't watched the channel in years because of this.

There are many different variants of the ITV channels, for the many different regions. The problem is that for any one satellite transponder, there may be several instances of ITV (of different regions) with the exact same content playing out. A certain scene may call for more bandwidth due to a lot of movement/detail on screen, however as there are several instances of the same content playing out at once on the one frequency, they all need extra bandwidth at the same time. Bandwidth is very limited so the result is that the picture degrades.

The core reason is money. Satellite transponder space is very very expensive and ITVs available funds are very much finite. I have just counted 8 satellite transponders being used for the various ITV channels. The costs for this would be massive. If more money was available, I'm sure ITV would rent more transponder space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

highdef wrote: »
    UTV (and the other ITVs) are also crap on Sky so I can't see how UPC can be blamed.

I have done a comparison of UTV (FA Cup match) on UPC (HD Box/Scart connection) Vs Sky(HD box/Scart connection) and the quality is better on Sky.

UTV however is heavily compressed on both.I have read before that UPC further compresses a lot of the source signals especially the music channels.

I only watch ITV HD (through a HDMI connection) such is the poor quality though ITV HD also suffers issues eg syncing

Advertisement