Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

This weeks training has gone very well. Three rest days which is much more than I would usually like but I'm trying to find a balance between life stuff and training and this week life won to a certain extent.

Monday 31st March -Rest day
    Tuesday 1st April -
    Finally got my Una back from the bike mechanic. She is better but a bit battered looking (like myself!). Lovely bright evening so I rushed home and headed straight out for a ride. 25.2 kms in 57 mins
    Wednesday 2nd April - Tri club Duathlon
    Again another lovely evening, so weird! I headed down to Dromineer to do the short bike course while the duathlon was going on. I did a very short warm up with one of the junior boys and then let him off with a five minute head start. I have done the longer version of this route a good few times but tonight I just wanted to get used to riding my race bike at speed. Felt great. Strong and fit. Weird eh? 15ish kms in 27 mins.
    Thursday 3rd April - Junior training followed by a training session for the seniors on the route for the Nenagh Summer League. This was my first time cycling in a fast group since the crash and I was delighted to find I wasnt too nervy in the bunch. Managed to hang on much longer than I expected. A great confidence booster.
    Friday 4th April - Solo spin into the wilderness of Clare. Very windy day but the sun was out too. Passed by some beautiful countryside. Lots of hills and drags and descents. I was trying to be more confident in my riding corners and descents. Felt good throughout. Lovely spin. 80kms in 3 hrs

Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th April - Rest days
    Was at a Cycling Ireland coaching day on Saturday. Then had a visitor come stay for the rest of the weekend. We were in Cork all day today so no time for training.

Very happy with my progress this week. I have a big week of training planned for next week. Looking forward to it :)

I've been training hard for the last few weeks, trying to get my confidence and fitness back on the bike. Had a good week leading up to this race. Got my arse kicked at the Limerick League Tuesday night but happily finished in the bunch on Thursday night at the Nenagh League. I'm starting to feel strong again and figured it was time to race again and face my fears.

This race was Round 2 of the Women's National League, held in Rathdowney less than an hour from home. I went alone, as I didn't want to make arrangements with someone and then possibly pull out at the last minute. I was sick with nerves as I got ready to leave but I don't think there really was ever a chance I wouldn't go.

Met people I know as soon as I got there so I didn't have much time to think about being scared with all the chatting. After a quick warm up we were off. It was a small bunch of women so it didn't feel as nervy as Boyne. I hung out right at the back and was just focused on finishing the race in one piece. Of course I wanted to finish in the bunch but just finishing would be my major aim.

The first few kms were very weird. I have so much to learn about the tactics in women's races. There was a lot of game playing going on, with the bunch stalling then sprinting, then stalling again. If you weren't paying attention you were dropped when the sprint came. I was very relieved when I got to 9kms, at least I was now further than my first race :D

Got about 3/4 way round the first lap and there was a big surge, I was out the back and couldn't make it back on. It was tough going round the second lap on my own, the headwind was ferocious. Luckily I had a girl from DID to work with for a while. It's hard being dropped like that, not good for your ego but I just told myself to keep pushing and get to the finish.

Happy to be back racing. Lots of work to be done but I'm willing to do it. Looking forward to the next one :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

never mind the result. Fair play for getting out there again so soon. Spirit like that the results will come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congrats on getting back in the bunch so soon, its not easy after a crash.

hope you don't mind a suggestion.
    I would suggest looking at your position in the bunch, always try to be near the front, ideally inside the top 10 riders (out of the wind of course), this allows you to see whats happening at the front, so when someone jumps you see it happening and respond sooner,
    Also if you are struggling to hold wheels on drags or surges, you have a bunch to fall back through so by the time you are at the back the surge\hill should be over, allowing you time to recover, if this happens when you are at the back then its bye bye time, and it take more out of you getting back on after been dropped than it does hanging in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I was going to say exactly what BennyMul said. From my vast experience of bike racing (1 race) I found it much easier when I put myself up near the front. The group was slowing up to corners and then pushing out of them, up the front this push isn't too bad but when I was down the back at every push I was at risk of being dropped. Everything seems to be exagerated down the back, was much more enjoyable and easier up near the front, I'd also say a bit safer too.

Fair play for getting back on the bike so soon, seemed like a good womens group out too, I wouldn't say yous finished too long after us.

• Advertisement

BennyMul wrote: »
    hope you don't mind a suggestion.
    I would suggest looking at your position in the bunch, always try to be near the front, ideally inside the tvop 10 riders (out of the wind of course), this allows you to see whats happening at the front, so when someone jumps you see it happening and respond sooner,
    Also if you are struggling to hold wheels on drags or surges, you have a bunch to fall back through so by the time you are at the back the surge\hill should be over, allowing you time to recover, if this happens when you are at the back then its bye bye time, and it take more out of you getting back on after been dropped than it does hanging in there.
    joey100 wrote: »
    I was going to say exactly what BennyMul said. From my vast experience of bike racing (1 race) I found it much easier when I put myself up near the front. The group was slowing up to corners and then pushing out of them, up the front this push isn't too bad but when I was down the back at every push I was at risk of being dropped. Everything seems to be exagerated down the back, was much more enjoyable and easier up near the front, I'd also say a bit safer too.

Thanks lads. I will definitely try this in future. I was just so nervous about crashing again that I made a conscious decision to hang at the back and just complete the race. Now that I've done that I'll definitely take that advice on board and try get in the thick of it next time :)

Keep the suggestions coming, I need all the help I can get :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I will definitely try this in future. I was just so nervous about crashing again that I made a conscious decision to hang at the back and just complete the race. Now that I've done that I'll definitely take that advice on board and try get in the thick of it next time :)

Keep the suggestions coming, I need all the help I can get :D

just remember its safer at the front, but well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Exactly what Benny and Joey have said - try to get up near the front. It's great advice but I'm terrible at getting good position and always seem to end up at the back (I think it's because I don't like going on the wrong side of the road to move up). It does make it much harder - I was only 4s slower than Joey up the climb yesterday (according to strava) but I was out the back - luckily got back on after 8-9 hard kms but being further up would have meant I stayed in the bunch and might have had a chance at the finish.

I reckon nearly half the A4's were dropped and the majority of them didn't do the second lap. So fair play for continuing round and completing the race when it was easier to turn off and get back to the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The hardest part is the first race back after a serious crash so kudos for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done for getting back in the bike so soon.

• Advertisement

I decided to head to Kilmihil in Clare to do this A4 race as it's been a month since I raced. My training has been going very well. Some very tough league racing in the Limerick and Nenagh Summer leagues and a good ish TT on Wednesday make me feel like I'm getting stronger so it was time to test it out.

There were only 21 signed on for the A4 race. The course was three laps of 13.5 kms which was undulating with one big dig towards the end of the lap. I was the only woman in all the races but my appeals for a head start were ignored :D The race started near the top of a hill! I asked could I at least start at the top! My hill starts aren't usually the best, but that appeal was laughed off too. I positioned myself right at the front but off to the right side so I would be out of the way if I couldn't clip in or fell over at the start. Luckily when the race started I clipped in straight away and had no problem taking off on the hill. The first ten minutes were very civilised and I hung around the front but then slowly went towards the back and of course as we hit a bit of a dig on the main road I was in the red trying to keep up. There was a burst of speed as we reached the top and went down the descent and that was it, I was goosed and shot out the back. I really pushed myself, I had planned to suffer and suffer I did but the gap grew as we turned the corner towards Kilmihil and I watched the bunch ride off into the distance.

Lucky for me there were a few more off the back too and I caught up with a Newcastlewest lad who kindly dragged me around for two more laps, protecting me from awful winds. Without him I might have given up or slowed to a snails pace. As we came through the village each time I got so many shouts of encouragement. It was lovely. Maybe they felt sorry for me being the only girl hanging on a few mins down or maybe they were impressed to see a woman out there. I like to think it was the latter.

The A1-3 race were catching us on our last km into town and my kind friend pulled back and told me to hop in with them as they passed and push to the finish. I thought they might be annoyed if I got in the way of their race as they still had a lap to do but they were all telling me to hop on and stay with them. I got a great cheer as I finished. Some women at the finish line called me over to say they were thrilled to see a woman in the race.

Great spread afterwards, I have always enjoyed races where the food is plentiful afterwards. Got a nice message from the organisers later to say in inspired some of the young girls which was lovely to hear.

All in all a good day. Of course I would love to have finished in the bunch, but that will come. I'm loving my training at the moment so I'll keep plugging away and maybe by the end of the summer i might be finishing with the boys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You. Inspire. Many. :)

Including me. ;)

Well done! And so nice of your fellow cyclists to embrace, encourage and support you. I applaud you for so many reasons - not the least of which is your consistent bravery, determination and passion in challenging situations. You are among the group of boardsies I carry with me when I train and race. Thank you. :)

Wow thanks Dory :) What a lovely thing to read first thing on a Monday morning. My ability comes in so short compared to the rest if ye on here, I'm glad I bring something else to the table.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

fair play SB, that's the kind of report you want to read on a dreary monday morning. Not sure i;d give racing a4 a shot, and you're in there not even in the womens race but duking it out with the fellas.

i consider myself well and truly "chicked" this morning :)

hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fantastic stuff! Well done. I don't know if I'd have the guts myself to give a cycling race a shot!
    R

Fair play SB, with such a small bunch it was always going to be hard no where to hide, and a nice drag at the start to stretch the legs not easy so early on.

believe me it gets easier,

BennyMul wrote: »
    believe me it gets easier,

I really hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Solobally8. I've been cycling with you and looking at your strava data for the last few weeks and you are definitely flying it. Tuesday and Thursday sessions are great for bringing us on. You are going to have your day soon enough!!! And I hope I'm around to celebrate with you when you do. You are am inspiration to us all. Keep up the hard work! See you tomorrow night?

Trig1 wrote: »
    Solobally8. I've been cycling with you and looking at your strava data for the last few weeks and you are definitely flying it. Tuesday and Thursday sessions are great for bringing us on. You are going to have your day soon enough!!! And I hope I'm around to celebrate with you when you do. You are am inspiration to us all. Keep up the hard work! See you tomorrow night?

Thanks Trig
    I'm going for a spin with the wheelers tomorrow night, still avoiding the limerick league a bit :o Next week I swear!

Broke my collar bone this evening. Beginning to think I might need stablizers on the bike :o

• Advertisement

Broke my collar bone this evening. Beginning to think I might need stablizers on the bike :o

WTF??? Are you serious??? Good grief...hope you're okay otherwise - but how the heck did that happen???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    WTF??? Are you serious??? Good grief...hope you're okay otherwise - but how the heck did that happen???

Ya I'm grand really. I was practising my cornering on a closed circuit. Got a little too wide on one of the corners and hit the ditch. Ended up over the handlebars yet again :eek: Nice bit of road rash and a broken clavicle. My season is pretty much over. Just as I was getting really into it! Sucks!

Ya I'm grand really. I was practising my cornering on a closed circuit. Got a little too wide on one of the corners and hit the ditch. Ended up over the handlebars yet again :eek: Nice bit of road rash and a broken clavicle. My season is pretty much over. Just as I was getting really into it! Sucks!

Oh no. I am so sorry!! I hope the bike is okay!!!! This makes me wonder if you do everything in life with such wild abandon!!??? :eek:;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oh good god. I am so sorry to hear that. I just don't know what else to say. Such rotten, rotten luck. I got lots of good advice about doing things and staying positive after my accident, and while it didn't help with my deep pissedoffness, active recovery and planning did keep me from going totally nuts. I hope you can keep yourself going and looking ahead in some way as you heal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Poor Stephen!!

Glad you're OK. I'm going to point people to this log the next time I get the piss taken for my bike handling skills. :D

Did you do Kilkee last week btw?

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh good god. I am so sorry to hear that. I just don't know what else to say. Such rotten, rotten luck. I got lots of good advice about doing things and staying positive after my accident, and while it didn't help with my deep pissedoffness, active recovery and planning did keep me from going totally nuts. I hope you can keep yourself going and looking ahead in some way as you heal.

Thanks Oryx I'm definitely in deep pissedoffness mode at the moment. Its not even the fact my season is over, its the fact i cant drive and therefore have lost my independence that frustrates me most. I'll be living on the turbo for the next few weeks :D

Poor Stephen!!

I'm going to point people to this log the next time I get the piss taken for my bike handling skills. :D

Did you do Kilkee last week btw?

Oi! All my other accidents have been someone elses fault! This is the only one caused by my bike handling skills!!!!

Poor Stephen is right- he was working so got the pleasure of responding to the call :cool: They are all getting used to seeing me there in Limerick hospital. Luckily I got the VIP treatment and skipped the 12 hour queue and was in and out in less than an hour :D

I sure was down in Kilkee. Great weekend. I did the bike for a relay. I saw you just before the start but you were looking very serious, thought I might see you after but got a bit tipsy and didnt see much after the fourth or fifth drink :D:D

I hear ya. I didn't drive for five weeks and felt like a child being ferried around. All I can advise is that if you're ever at risk of being overwhelmed by the unfairness of it all, go somewhere, do something, or call someone. The days I let myself wallow were the worst days of all.

And again, fate is a complete b'stard. So unfair for this to happen. But youre a hoochie. You'll train through, broken or not!

Thanks Oryx. I'm hoping to be back on the turbo after I go to fracture clinic on Tuesday. Would go mad if I couldn't train.

• Advertisement

Hope all went ok at the clinic. Any idea what you can and cannot do?

Advertisement