Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oryx wrote: »
    Hope all went ok at the clinic. Any idea what you can and cannot do?

Well I don't need surgery which is a good thing I presume. I'm in a figure of 8 splint for 6 weeks then they will see if it's rejoined. The Doctor said 4 weeks before I can turbo, 6 before I can drive and 10-12 before I can cycle on the road. So I hopped on the turbo and did a few mins last night :D I actually only got on it to see how it felt, was hard to get myself on the saddle but was fine once I was on it.

I'm planning to start with about 15 mins from next Monday and build from there. Walked a few kms earlier. I'm going to walk every day too otherwise I'll turn into a whale!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My appetite diminished with the drop in activity. You may find the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well I don't need surgery which is a good thing I presume. I'm in a figure of 8 splint for 6 weeks then they will see if it's rejoined. The Doctor said 4 weeks before I can turbo, 6 before I can drive and 10-12 before I can cycle on the road. So I hopped on the turbo and did a few mins last night :D I actually only got on it to see how it felt, was hard to get myself on the saddle but was fine once I was on it.

I'm planning to start with about 15 mins from next Monday and build from there. Walked a few kms earlier. I'm going to walk every day too otherwise I'll turn into a whale!

Good grief! I think we need to be renamed the Disobedient Dames instead of SBR Hoochies! We women must be a doctor's nightmare!!! ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good grief! I think we need to be renamed the Disobedient Dames instead of SBR Hoochies! We women must be a doctor's nightmare!!! ;):)

Ha ha but they just don't realise we NEED to keep training:D I'm going mad and it's only been 5 days :eek:

Hope you're still holding up!

• Advertisement

Hope you're still holding up!

Thanks for checking in on me! I left the house today for the first time since Wednesday! Was good to get out and about felt less like a crazy person, more like a normal human again. Shoulder too sore to do anything much all week. Going slowly stir crazy so was a good idea to get out today.

Thanks for checking in on me! I left the house today for the first time since Wednesday! Was good to get out and about felt less like a crazy person, more like a normal human again. Shoulder too sore to do anything much all week. Going slowly stir crazy so was a good idea to get out today.

Oh my god I can relate to all that. The pain was a real surprise to me as well. Youve probably been told two weeks is the first, painful stage of healing, it improves after that. Resign yourself to the lazytime and beg borrow or steal some good books.

Couldn't resist any longer so hopped on the turbo for quick spin of the legs. 30 mins of easy high cadence low hr spinning. Lovely.

So it's two weeks since I broke the collarbone. I was v pissed off for the first few days, then very accepting of the situation for about a week but now I'm back to extreme pissedoffness. It's hard to keep positive when I keep getting injured. Maybe I'm not cut out for bike racing. I'm starting to think I might go back to doing triathlons and hiding in the masses of mediocrity. At the moment it sounds like a better option than continuing on in the bike racing world where there is nowhere to hide. Lots to think about...

I'm not sure what you should do....but I want you to know that I think of you every time I'm on my bike bouncing up and down on my seat because I am spinning too fast, and that's when I employ the Solobally8 rule of thumb and shift my gears to slow the spin down. ;)

• Advertisement

So it's two weeks since I broke the collarbone. I was v pissed off for the first few days, then very accepting of the situation for about a week but now I'm back to extreme pissedoffness. It's hard to keep positive when I keep getting injured. Maybe I'm not cut out for bike racing. I'm starting to think I might go back to doing triathlons and hiding in the masses of mediocrity. At the moment it sounds like a better option than continuing on in the bike racing world where there is nowhere to hide. Lots to think about...
    I followed the same pattern of pissedoffness. Seems normal enough, if that helps.

Now is not the time to make any big decisions. Train softly, heal, start doing sessions you enjoy. Then worry about where theyll take you.

Thanks gals. Im definitely not going to make any decisions soon. It would be a bad idea to while I'm so tired of it all. I'm just fed up but I'm sure that will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hope you do stay racing the bikes Solobally8. The love and enjoyment you have of doing something challenging really comes across in your bike race reports, much more so than any time you wrote about a running race, or a Tri. But best of luck whatever, its all about challenging yourself and the exhilaration afterwards.

Maybe just get your regular bike EPO-doctor to prescribe some happy drugs for a while?;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hope you do stay racing the bikes Solobally8. The love and enjoyment you have of doing something challenging really comes across in your bike race reports, much more so than any time you wrote about a running race, or a Tri. But best of luck whatever, its all about challenging yourself and the exhilaration afterwards.

Maybe just get your regular bike EPO-doctor to prescribe some happy drugs for a while?;)

Thanks Kurt, I had decided to give the bike racing at least three years and I would find it hard to give up now and not at least give it a proper go. I do love racing, I think I'm just embarrassed at how many times I've fell off and how slow my progress has been. However I've decided to stop comparing myself to others and focus on myself. So what if I get dropped by the bunch, this time next year I bet I won't be!

While I recover I'm continuing to turbo and walk. When I get the all clear my intention for Sept/October is to swim and run as well as cycle, just to have variety for a while. Then hopefully return to coached cycle training for the winter.

One of my absolute favorite quotes in the whole wide world is this little gem...

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't beleive I need to explain my point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Glad your sticking with the racing, Keep with the turbo over the next few weeks (dont go wild) and heel properly.

once you get on the road again train in groups more time on the bike the better, go mountain biking learn not to hit trees, stones, and buy or borrow a set of rollers (fantastic for balance and confidence)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BennyMul wrote: »
    go mountain biking learn not to hit trees, stones,

this is excellent advice. i am 110% convinced having started mountain biking first has saved me numerous times on the road. all those spins around ballyhoura tune the reactions and the bike handling skills, learn how to control a bike really fast.:) have almost lost the back wheel on the road bike a few times and reactions alone got it back for me, i've said to my wife a few times that i reckon if i had gone straight to road biking she would have collected a bloody mess from the side of the road at least once by now.

Ya the mountain biking is definitely going to happen. I think it's vital for my progression. As of now I'm on the lookout for a bike :D
    Should be interesting, I've only done it once before and the trees seemed to be drawn to me! Maybe I should get a full face helmet :D
    Rollers scare the bejesus out of me- therefore I'm going to have to use them aren't I.
    Fun times ahead. The great thing is now that I have decided to stick with the cycling I'm excited about working on my weaknesses and seeing what next year brings!

How are ya this week? Hows the collarbone one month in?

How are ya this week? Hows the collarbone one month in?

Nothing much to report. Collarbone still the same, mostly fine but once and a while a nerve hits the broken bits and I'm brought to my knees with pain. I'm on the turbo only 2 times a week. I've gone all lazy and fat :(

• Advertisement

^^^^ :( But you'll be back in the action sooner than you think! I'm sure running is out....however is there anything you can do in the pool?? Kick? Aqua-jog?? Swim-nastics? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ^^^^ :( But you'll be back in the action sooner than you think! I'm sure running is out....however is there anything you can do in the pool?? Kick? Aqua-jog?? Swim-nastics? ;)

Unfortunately my local pool is still closed and I'm still not driving. I took the dog on a nice long walk last night and decided that I should do it every day and not leave it to Stephen.

Also I got an email from my possibly-new-coach/advice giver laying out a good session for me on the turbo. I'm excited to be back doing proper sessions not just easy spinning:)

Ok so that renewed enthusiasm has to wait a bit. Broke my other arm last night!! The dog knocked me over!! It's a hairline fracture and I'm in a cast :o Should heal very fast they think.
    When it rains it pours eh!

Huh?
    Huh?
    Huh?

You have got to be kidding me.

I can only laugh at this point. It's beyond ridiculous but yes my right arm is now in a cast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I can only laugh at this point. It's beyond ridiculous but yes my right arm is now in a cast.

They'll be hauling S into the local Garda station if you're not careful :p

They'll be hauling S into the local Garda station if you're not careful :p

Ha ha I know! The Dr in A&E was a bit concerned, 4th time in hospital in 12 months. Stephen is getting some slagging at work today :D

O.
    M.
    F.
    G.
    !!!!!!!!!

fc,550x550,black.jpg

• Advertisement

Ha ha As I said on Facebook, the level of concern has dropped and the level of slagging has risen subsequent to each injury! :D

Advertisement