Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Unbelievable!:eek:

You may as well laugh as cry. Hope you get fixed soon. And drink lots of milk...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Seriously. Get a dexa bone scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^Yep. What they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yeah I seem to be breaking very easily. I'll say it at the fracture clinic Tuesday. I'm a big milk drinker, have always been so would have assumed I have very strong bones. Will def get it checked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If it was ever in doubt you now officially are the unluckiest person on this board.

I was actually catching up on the thread thinking, ok bad crash and mashed face, broken collar bone.....surely that saying "comes in threes" does not apply here, but obviously in your case it does apply.

Once again look after yourself or whats left of you thats not broken or bruised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

That really is just unbelievably bad luck. Best of luck with the recovery.

Thanks guys. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. Might take it easy on the booze and dancing. And might wear flats instead of heels too :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. Might take it easy on the booze and dancing. And might wear flats instead of heels too :D

nah, balls to that SB, , high heels, dancing on the tables, bottle of wine jammed in each cast, sure you've nothing left to break at this stage!!

mossym wrote: »
    nah, balls to that SB, , high heels, dancing on the tables, bottle of wine jammed in each cast, sure you've nothing left to break at this stage!!

Ha ha I like it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

.....you could just buy grapes you know

Hope you heal up quickly :)

• Advertisement

So I went to the wedding, didn't dance on any tables but did have a few scoops and partook in something resembling dancing at some point in the night :D

Then yesterday I waited 2 hours at the fracture clinic for a 2 minute consultation with the Doctor. He also slagged me for getting broken so often! Told me to keep the cast on for another week. He then looked at my X-rays from the collarbone and said he feels it's highly unlikely it will heal on its own and I will need surgery. I'll know for sure next week.

I think he is wrong, it's so much better these days, just a little painful now and then I asked him when could I drive, turbo or run. He laughed and said I can do nothing for the foreseeable future :mad:

Anyways while that's very frustrating I'm keeping positive. Whatever happens I'll be back out on the road cycling by the first weekend in October. That's the new aim.

I've stopped eating the crap and hoping to get down to a decent cycling weight over the next few weeks.

Every time I see your thread updated I think 'what has she broken now?' ;)

Boo hiss on the collarbone. Feckin doctors. Sure what do they know???

3 month x ray on the collarbone today. Bad news, it still hasn't started healing. The doctor suggested I wait another six weeks to see what happens. I told him I'm not willing to wait any longer, so now I have an appointment with a surgeon next Monday.

So disappointed. I had planned to start a new log today to chronicle my return to training :( Instead I'm going to continue with my base turbo training until I am sidelined for a few more weeks.

Did they say why it hasnt healed?

Boo hiss. I agree with Oryx, I'd want to know the possible reasons it's not healing. From what little I googled, it could be a number of things (scar tissue, immune system, too much movement, not proper alignment), including caffeine. ?? Not so sure about that one, but it did get my attention. Chin up. And make that turbo purr. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Boo hiss. I agree with Oryx, I'd want to know the possible reasons it's not healing. From what little I googled, it could be a number of things (scar tissue, immune system, too much movement, not proper alignment), including caffeine. ?? Not so sure about that one, but it did get my attention. Chin up. And make that turbo purr. :)

based on her history, and the mention of ongoing turbo sessions, i wonder what it could be?:)

that news sucks anita, i agree get someone else to look at it. that's a long time with no improvement

mossym wrote: »
    based on her history, and the mention of ongoing turbo sessions, i wonder what it could be?:)

that news sucks anita, i agree get someone else to look at it. that's a long time with no improvement

I think its a combination of a lot of things. I might have got back on the turbo too soon after the fall :cool: I think the bones are so far away from each other that maybe I might have needed surgery from the beginning but wait and see seems to be the hospital policy. My diet has been very poor recently too, definitely not nutrient enriched bone healing type stuff. I drink a lot of diet coke and have heard that its very bad for broken bones. I've always been a slow healer though. I still have marks on my knee from a small cut I got last March when I smashed my face. I bruise really easily too and then they take ages to go away. Have had all my bloods done recently and nothing showing there so maybe I'm just an incredibly slow healer.

Lovelovelove the new log title. Brilliant!!! :)

Ok so just to fill in what I've been doing in the last few weeks. After breaking the collarbone I continued to do some easy work on the turbo. Then I broke my other arm and I turned into a couch potatoe blob. I have managed to put on a ridiculous amount of weight and lost a lot of fitness. Only 7 turbo sessions in August. Then in September I went back to work and got motivated again. I have been following a base plan from trainerroad, 3 sessions per week, with one lazy week of nothing thrown in the middle :o

After seeing photos from a wedding last weekend I realised it was time to cop on so I have got back on track with the clean eating but unfortunately I now have a horrible cold/throat ache, earache thing going on so I missed today's planned session. Hope I can do it tomorrow instead.

The plan now is to get as much turbo in before I have my surgery. I will take my time recovering though this time! No rushing back into things.

Oh also I've been doing a very small bit of running, I'm enjoying it even though its so incredibly slow you cant really call it running. Might even go back swimming in the New year too!

2hr easy turbo today. Still have this cold/cough/throat thing so I wasn't able to do the planned session. Just spun easily and got through 3 more episodes of The Good Wife. Netflix is my newest addiction :o

• Advertisement

Great news from the consultant today - I don't need surgery after all. He did a lot of prodding and poking of my collarbone and came to the conclusion that it has formed a union! Its not visible on the xray but he just thinks I'm just a slow healer but that it is healing and he would be doing me a disservice if he operated on me. He is the top orthopedic surgeon in this area so I'll take his word for it. So I have to take it easy for another 3 months at least BUT I CAN CYCLE!! Woohoo!!

I must take Una to the bike mechanic, she has been relegated to the spare room since the fall 3 months ago. Hopefully I will get her back by next week and I'll chance going out on the road. Terrified doesnt half describe how I feel but very excited too!

4.9km treadmill run after work. Slow as a snail but I enjoyed it.

3.5 lbs lost after my first week of diet improvement. Happy with that. Only another 20 odd to go :D

Whoop whoop!! Good news all around!!! :)

So I had my bike insured under our house insurance stating it's value as €2500. It's actually worth €4000 with it's racing wheels on. We got the renewal quote today and they had removed the bike saying they don't insure them separately. Instead it would just go under household contents with a max replacement value of €1500. Hubby rang the insurance company and the girl said their computer says no bike is worth more than €1500! We tried another company and they say the same. Gas!

Lots of turbo this week. Delighted to be back at it.

Thursday - Trainer road Petit, 1 hr easy enough spinning
    Friday - Trainer road something else, 1:50 easy with some efforts. The only really taxing thing was the discomfort in my arse :)
    Saturday - Trainer road Petit again. That's week 4 of base training done. Moving on to Traditional Base Mid Volume II next week.
    Sunday- 2 hr turbo, trainer road beehive.

So I'm hoping to get back out on the road by Thursday. I'll continue to follow the trainer road plan with short road spins until I get my confidence and fitness back.

First road spin in 15 weeks :D I was pretty scared heading out. I wasnt even sure if I would remember how to clip in. Well at least that bit went off without a hitch! The first 100m were a bit strange though- it was like I had forgot how to cycle, the bike was wobbling all over the road! After stopping at the T-junction (even though there were no cars!) I managed to calm down and settle into the cycle. I was crawling along but getting more relaxed with every minute that passed. I had planned to go out for about 20 minutes and then hop on the turbo but I was enjoying it so much I ended up doing just under an hour!

My collarbone didnt bother me one bit but my radius was very sore throughout with the pain spreading to my wrist after about 30 mins. It will probably take a few weeks yet to be ok on the road. I'm so incredibly unfit. The hills killed me- I managed to hit a new max heart rate! But my god I was sooo happy to be back on the road again. I forgot how much I love it.

Great progress. And brave. I know it will take time to build your nerve again. And my break still hurts a lot of the time. Suppose that is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Welcome back to the road, are you working with that coach?
    if how are you finding it; is it working

BennyMul wrote: »
    Welcome back to the road, are you working with that coach?
    if how are you finding it; is it working

Thanks Benny, we put the coaching on hold because of all my broken bones but I'm going to contact him over the weekend to see if we can get a plan going. I think a coach is necessary for me as I tend to skip sessions a lot if I don't have someone to answer to.

It's quite amazing how things can change so quickly. A few weeks ago I wasn't sure if I would ever bike race again. My year of falls and injuries have left me a bit scared of it all. I had been considering taking a step back from training, try to find other interests and spend more time with my family. However with one phone call all that has changed!

Our club is planning on putting a team into Ras na mBan next year and I've been invited to try out for the team! Woohoo. You have no idea how exciting this is for me :D:D When I first heard of this race a few years ago I would never have imagined that some day I might get the chance to do it. It's such a privilege to be involved in this. Aagh, eek, I'm so excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Deadly. Congrats :D

Advertisement