Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry about this, but at least all the plates will have you unbreakable :D

but seriously, better to get it sorted now and once fully healed you can resume proper training, the Ras is still possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hope the operation went well and you heal up quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Best of luck with the recovery S8. Sounds like the right option for the long term and don't let go of the Rás dream.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with recovery missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thanks everyone for all the messages. Im home now relaxing on the couch. It all went very well. I have a plate and screws in. Slightly painful but mostly tired as it was impossible to sleep there! I'm in a sling that immobilised my left arm totally and as I'm left handed I could be a bit of a challenge :pac:

I am a bit worried that the Ras is going to be beyond me but as ye said I won't let that dream go yet. I'm going to make sure I heal properly first then worry about training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You're due some good luck at this stage! Hope the recovery goes well, and the Ras target gets met and bet.

Day 1 at home after surgery. Things I've learned
    - I have no patience, i feel guilty already for sitting around doing nothing.
    - being allowed to eat crap all day isn't as much fun as eating crap all day when you're not supposed to
    - being one handed is very difficult when you can't cheat by using the broken one to help
    - this is going to be one smelly recovery
    - I love downton abbey, two episodes watched today
    - I miss my bike :-(
    - oh also I can't take a screen shot on my iPad with one hand.
    - this world is not designed for onehandedness (I didn't learn this when I broke the collarbone initially or when I broke my radius cos I kept sneakily using my two hands, this is impossible now as my sling is to be worn under my clothes)

Maybe with the new stricter enforcement it will heal properly this time :)

Are you cleared to do any turbo work as a one-handed person btw? Bit of assistance to get up and moving but keeping it going with the resistance cable?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Maybe with the new stricter enforcement it will heal properly this time :)

Are you cleared to do any turbo work as a one-handed person btw? Bit of assistance to get up and moving but keeping it going with the resistance cable?

Nothing allowed for the first week anyway MojoMaker. I think I'll start with walking then move on to the turbo in a week or two. I'm going to do my best to be good

Absolutely.

9 months is ages away, you'll be back stronger than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

One week of nothing now will save you extra weeks of recovery later. Be strong!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »
    - oh also I can't take a screen shot on my iPad with one hand.

Use your chin for one of the buttons and your other hand for the second. ;)

Otherwise, tell S to make himself more useful :p

Hope the recovery goes well...let me know as soon as you're back on the bike...you can take me around the lake...only way I'll be able to stick with you is if you're unfit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I feel a little guilty typing this while on my trainer listening to Christmas music...:o....but, glad you are doing well post-surgery. Now, HEAL!! And behave yourself. :)

Woohoo major progress today - I got dressed!

Hey...speaking of new bras ;) , when might you be cleared to go mountain biking? :)

Mountain biking postponed for ever I'd say Dory :-) did u see my shoulder on Facebook!

Day 12 after surgery. The days are crawling by, blurring into each other. Ive mostly been sleeping, eating, reading and watching day time tv. getting a bit repetitive now, starting to have cabin fever :-)

On the other hand I've had my stitches out, the collarbone is healing well and I've been very good about minding myself. I really want to get back into training in January. Im very excited about next year, hopefully all my bad luck is behind me.

Excellent news.

Awesome news!! :D

Mountain biking may be on my radar while I'm over there in February...Ballyhoura, anyone?? But, if you're not able, maybe we can still hookup!!

Oh cool I wont be able for mountain biking but I will do everything I can to meet up if ur down around ballyhoura. Woohoo!

So excited, Im allowed do 20 mins on the turbo tomorrow. Woohoo! Can't wait :D

• Advertisement

20 minutes done. Would have loved to do more but I'm gonna be good and ease back into it. Took the sling off and was happy to be able to have the use of both hands without much discomfort. My HR was much higher than the effort or time on the turbo should elicit but the fact I'm now 2 stone :o overweight might have something to do with that. Bought my racing license at the weekend so I'm now definitely committed to trying to make this Ras na mBan team :)

In the coming months, when youre doing the hard hateful sessions, youll remember this, and how good it felt. Its great motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

A familiar face just popped up in my FB feed; lead photo of Stickybottle pics of the year. If you can smile through that you'll have no problem reaching your 2015 goals! :)

Basster wrote: »
    A familiar face just popped up in my FB feed; lead photo of Stickybottle pics of the year. If you can smile through that you'll have no problem reaching your 2015 goals! :)

Oh god, I really thought that unibrow was long forgotten by everyone. Now it's back for everyone to see again :D

30 min turbo yesterday. I'm happy for every minute! Nothing like an enforced lay off to make you appreciate the little things like being able to hop on a turbo and spin the legs for 30 mins.

A summary of my 2014 is easy- it was crap. Injuries, crashes and huge personal upheavals blighted almost every month of the year. But it wasn't all bad. I learned A LOT! I have so much support, family, friends, club mates, you guys on here, I'm blessed. People have been so kind and helpful to me all year. And thank god for my very understanding boss!

Ye all know my main aim for 2015 is to make my clubs team for Ras na mBan. I'm not sure how realistic a goal that is but I'm going to give it all I've got. Apart from that I just want to stay on my bike and not break any bones :-) Oh an I would like to get back swimming and running at some stage but only as recovery/ occasional cross training till September. Who knows I might even do a triathlon!

I didn't eat chocolate today :eek: I've eaten chocolate every day for so long now I can't remember the last day I went without. Summer beach body here I come! :cool:

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I didn't eat chocolate today :eek: I've eaten chocolate every day for so long now I can't remember the last day I went without. Summer beach body here I come! :cool:

I'm off it too! I haven't had any since New Year's Eve. I already feel better. I think. ;)

I'm not off chocolate. Can I have yours?

I'll probably have major cravings but I think if I survive the first week, I'll be fine. fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm not off chocolate. Can I have yours?
    I ate it all yesterday! Probably put on 5 lbs! My hubby took any remaining Christmas crap to work with him tonight. It was all the leftover roses and heros I don't like but will end up eating if I'm desperate! :P

Advertisement