Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I ate all mine too before the strike of midnight! ;)

And it does get way easier after a week or two off the "bad" stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not sure if I agree! I did a month off sweets/biscuits/cakes after our holiday in October and it was HELL ON EARTH even in the 4th week. Giving up booze is much easier for me. I'm a serious sugar addict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I came off it for the November vice challenge and now would rarely have it. Need a new vice challenge for the sugar in my tea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yikes 9 days into 2015 and I haven't posted any training yet.Fear not I have been training away though. Nice slow progression from easy spinning to my first bit of work this week. Loving being back on the turbo, loving having a plan. Very happy to have a new boss :-)

Oh and I've 4lbs lost since last Friday.

I'm now 2 weeks into training after my long lay off after the shoulder surgery. I was so lucky a few weeks back to win 2 months coaching with my wonderful new boss :D Seriously though I am much happier with this new arrangement. Last year I had a coaching relationship which took over almost every waking (and often sleeping!) minute of my life. I was micro managed to a point where I was crying getting on the bike because I was hating my training so much.

Now two weeks into my new arrangement I can say I'm definitely much happier. Its all turbo based until I get the go ahead from the doctor to get back out on the road. And unfortunately my last hospital appointment didnt go so well- the bone under the plate is still not growing :mad: I really dont know whats going to happen long term, its just a case of wait and see. So at the moment Im focused on getting back into shape, losing this tonne of flab around my belly and fingers crossed getting back on the road by the end of February.

Im enjoying the turbo sessions. I like working hard and its great for my mental health to be back doing regular training. I think working with JB will be very exciting- its a big challenge to see if I can be made into a Ras cyclist in 8 months!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nice to see an update with positive tones from you SB. Keep up the work

Ahhh....this is really, really good!!! :) Get that bone growing and you'll be flying!!!!

Week 3

Monday 19th Jan - LTHR test - woohoo! Its been a year since I did one of these tests so it was good to see how I'm doing now I'm a fatty. Happy to say I managed a consistent hard effort for the 30 minutes. God I love long hard efforts for some weird reason :cool:.

Tuesday 20th Jan - 45 minute recovery turbo. Nice easy leg spinner. I'm still suffering with DOMS from a core session I did last Saturday! My abs are in shock-they havent been used in months :)

Last post in this log :(

I found out 3 weeks ago that my collarbone ain't healing. No bone growth...zip...zilch progress. I had been training hard for 8 weeks. I felt fit and strong and eager to get back on the road, which I did. I had gone on a few spins on my own and one epic 4h+ club spin which was tooooouuugh! I was thrilled with myself and JB for getting me to a point where even though I had lost a lot of training over the winter, I was much stronger than I ever though I would be so soon after the surgery.

Then on the 23rd Feb I had a follow up appointment in the hospital where I got the news that the collarbone isn't healing. In fact it's more dangerous now than it was before the surgery. If I fall now, the metal plate will be fine, but the likelihood is I would suffer new breaks at the ends of the plate which would be catastrophic for my whole shoulder area. It's so unstable there that all I'm allowed do now is 'gentle' walks :eek:

I'm devastated of course, I had just bought a powermeter, I was back on the road, I was excited about the hard training ahead... now that's all gone. No Ras na mBan, no racing at all this year. Even if the collarbone healed I'm so far behind my training, I would be out the back of a race in 2 minutes. It's very tough. My club has a women's team now, I was the only female racer last year and I so wanted team mates. They are doing so well and I'll admit it, I'm downright jealous :mad:

I have another appointment in two weeks, where they will start sound wave therapy to stimulate bone growth. This usually works well with elderly people who break hips. If that doesn't work it will be more surgery to insert a bone graft. Fun times eh!

So for now I'm concentrating on keeping my fitness, I'm turboing away and will be doing a few gentle outside spins to keep me sane. I must lose this belly and focus on fixing the shoulder properly. I cried to JB that I'm useless without a big goal, and he calmly made me realise that this is my new goal- to heal well and to be in great shape come sept/October ready for a hard winters training and Ras na mBan 2016. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So sorry to hear about your issues solobally :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Devastating news. Wishing you all the best karma in the world Solo.

Well, you get the collarbone fixed, then you come back stronger than ever!!! And you can start a new log! :) Kind of exciting! Sort of like getting a brand-new killer outfit...or fresh paint in your favorite room.....or fitting into your sexiest black dress with your hair swooped up. (is the positive spin working for you??) ;)

Heal quickly!!! Keep us posted on your progress!!!! Sept/Oct will come faster than you think...and then you are going to destroy it on the bike in 2016 in that Ras thingy. You're Soloballly 8...we've seen your mettle....and we know what you are capable of. :)

Thanks guys, I was so upset I couldn't post about it till now but I'll be back dont you worry! Lots of years cycling/triathloning ahead for me yet :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well, you get the collarbone fixed, then you come back stronger than ever!!! And you can start a new log! :) Kind of exciting! Sort of like getting a brand-new killer outfit...or fresh paint in your favorite room.....or fitting into your sexiest black dress with your hair swooped up. (is the positive spin working for you??) ;)

Heal quickly!!! Keep us posted on your progress!!!! Sept/Oct will come faster than you think...and then you are going to destroy it on the bike in 2016 in that Ras thingy. You're Soloballly 8...we've seen your mettle....and we know what you are capable of. :)

Thanks Dory it is ok to say though your post brought a tear to my eye:P

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oh sweet jesus *insert multiple expletives here*. Dory does positive spin, I do swearing. You know what? That just isn't fair. It isn't. You don't deserve such bad luck, you work hard, you're tough, you don't complain, you train through issues. I'm upset just reading it today, I can only imagine how it has made you feel. So. Ok. Ranting hissy fit out of the way.

Moving on. You deal with what you have in front of you. You need to get that shoulder to heal. You already know your current strategy hasn't worked, so you take on a new one. Take the sound wave therapy, change your diet, use voodoo, pray. Do everything and anything you can, and prioritise that injury over everything else. Fitness will wait in the wings for you, it will always come back! As JB said, this is your mission this year. The main thing is you HAVEN'T re-broken it or made it worse, if you were out training, that was always a risk.

Take each day as it comes, as a day to get all the things you CAN do, right. Never ever dwell on what might have been, look to what will be. Its a setback, a big one, but youll get there.

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh sweet jesus *insert multiple expletives here*. Dory does positive spin, I do swearing. You know what? That just isn't fair. It isn't. You don't deserve such bad luck, you work hard, you're tough, you don't complain, you train through issues. I'm upset just reading it today, I can only imagine how it has made you feel. So. Ok. Ranting hissy fit out of the way.

Moving on. You deal with what you have in front of you. You need to get that shoulder to heal. You already know your current strategy hasn't worked, so you take on a new one. Take the sound wave therapy, change your diet, use voodoo, pray. Do everything and anything you can, and prioritise that injury over everything else. Fitness will wait in the wings for you, it will always come back! As JB said, this is your mission this year. The main thing is you HAVEN'T re-broken it or made it worse, if you were out training, that was always a risk.

Take each day as it comes, as a day to get all the things you CAN do, right. Never ever dwell on what might have been, look to what will be. Its a setback, a big one, but youll get there.

Ok now you've done it Oryx you brought the tears :o:p Thank you for the post, I think you have said how I feel in a nutshell. I most definitely had a few rants hissy fits over the last three weeks:-). I'm determined now though to do everything I can to fix this. I'm going to get a second opinion too as my care so far has been nothing but a bit of a shambles.

I'm donning my wise old lady hat from here on in...Ras na mBan wasn't supposed to happen for me this year, maybe this year is about focusing on my job, my friends and my family, getting the brownie points in so that when I do come back training I will have all my ducks lined up for whatever epic cycling/triathlon journey awaits :D

read this the other day but only getting to respond now. really sorry to hear it anita, if anyone deserves a break(non bone related) at this stage it's you. hoping you come out the other side of this ready to rock.

one thins, i'm guessing here, but i imagine something like ras na mban has a fair amount of learning. first year is probably about gaining experience anyway. Are Nenagh putting in a team anyway? could you go as a helper? i'm sure what you would pick up even just being around the race would stand to you when you get there next year in a big way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Positives. You can turbo, you can focus on 2016 goals, you have recovery options and time to recover. Sounds like you are in good hands with JB steadying the focus. Its a long lead in to 2016. Use that teammate jealousy as a spur for your turbo work, and keep logging your sessions here.

Thanks guys the support really helps.
    mossym wrote: »
    read this the other day but only getting to respond now. really sorry to hear it anita, if anyone deserves a break(non bone related) at this stage it's you. hoping you come out the other side of this ready to rock.

one thins, i'm guessing here, but i imagine something like ras na mban has a fair amount of learning. first year is probably about gaining experience anyway. Are Nenagh putting in a team anyway? could you go as a helper? i'm sure what you would pick up even just being around the race would stand to you when you get there next year in a big way

They are definitely putting in a team. I hadn't consider going as a helper. Right now I would just be sick watching them, sick with jealousy :mad: but I think I'll eventually get over that feeling in the weeks ahead. So yeah that's probably a good idea. Nice one!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Positives. You can turbo, you can focus on 2016 goals, you have recovery options and time to recover. Sounds like you are in good hands with JB steadying the focus. Its a long lead in to 2016. Use that teammate jealousy as a spur for your turbo work, and keep logging your sessions here.

Thanks Kurt, I'm usually a very positive person but the last few weeks have tested that positivity. I'm not sure if there is much interest in hearing about my endless turbo sessions but sur I'll put something up every now and then :)

We would LOVE to hear about your endless turbo sessions!! And you can toss in a few other tidbits about what's going on around you for fun too!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Very very sorry to read this! I cant even imagine the frustration you must be feeling. I hope you heal well and quick and can get back to things asap!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    We would LOVE to hear about your endless turbo sessions!! And you can toss in a few other tidbits about what's going on around you for fun too!!! :)

Ha well in that case, how could I not keep ye up to date :)
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Very very sorry to read this! I cant even imagine the frustration you must be feeling. I hope you heal well and quick and can get back to things asap!

Its funny, after the initial freak out, I became very accepting of the whole thing and was fine for a week or two but I have been upset about it again these past few days. I think reality is finally setting in. Its been 8 months since I broke the stupid thing and there is no sign of a return to proper training any time soon. Aaarrrggghh...phew! Rant over :mad::eek::D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Its funny, after the initial freak out, I became very accepting of the whole thing and was fine for a week or two but I have been upset about it again these past few days. I think reality is finally setting in. Its been 8 months since I broke the stupid thing and there is no sign of a return to proper training any time soon. Aaarrrggghh...phew! Rant over :mad::eek::D

Lord knows I've not had to deal with the magnitude of challenges that you've had to deal with, but based on my torn hip flexor from last year and now my broken femur, the waxing and waning of emotions is totally normal, as is the frustration of not being able to train in the way you want to be training. But, try and stay creative (and safe) in what you do to keep fit, and let this time solidify your resolve in achieving your goals. !!!

:cool: So I just ran 2.25kon the treadmill. Probably not good for the shoulder but great for my spirits :D. I haven't ran in months. Delighted to see how easy this sneaky little tester run was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Haven't posted since you put up your news. Sorry to hear it's dragging out for you A :( Such bad luck, think of how strong you'll be after all your turbo sessions once you do get back out on the bike!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

:cool: So I just ran 2.25kon the treadmill. Probably not good for the shoulder but great for my spirits :D. I haven't ran in months. Delighted to see how easy this sneaky little tester run was.

You've still got it, baby!! :)

are you cooking for the north Tipp sprint? jsut signed up for the two races so i'm expecting a good feed...:)

are you cooking for the north Tipp sprint? jsut signed up for the two races so i'm expecting a good feed...:)

Ha ha yes of course I will be. We are very proud of our food here in Nenagh, no one will go home without at least a hang sandwich and a bun :D

Ha ha yes of course I will be. We are very proud of our food here in Nenagh, no one will go home without at least a hang sandwich and a bun :D

hang on hang on. what do you mean here in nenagh? :) that's some serious stretching of the boundaries, given where you live..:)

• Advertisement

hang on hang on. what do you mean here in nenagh? :) that's some serious stretching of the boundaries, given where you live..:)

Ha ha dont worry I'm a proud Clare woman! I meant Nenagh Tri Club :D

Advertisement