Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Need.To.Cop.On!

I seem to be unable to find a middle ground. I've become a person of extremes over the past few years (or maybe I've always been but didnt recognise it!) Anyways I'm either training well and eating well or I'm not training at all and eating crap. I'm finding it very hard to adjust to life without a goal race. Since I started running in 2006 I've always had a race to aim for no matter how lowly the goal. But now I'm just doing what I can while my shoulder heals and I'm still all over the shop.

Take for example last week, compared to this week so far:

Tuesday 17th March
    -1hr 45 min turbo (Epic Mt. Baldy)
    I'm using my power meter now but I'm actually working off the virtual power readings from Trainer road not what the PM is saying. I keep saying I must do a 20 minute FTP test but I havent motivated myself to do it yet. So for the moment I'm just enjoying messing around with it, seeing what kind of power I'm producing in my sessions.

Wed 18th March - hopped on the turbo straight after work, a miracle these days :o This time I did an hour and 5 minutes of a session called Peavine.
    Which has 3x9-minute sets of ascending force intervals ranging from 80-90%FTP. Each set consists of 3x3-minute repeats with 1 minute of recovery between intervals & 5 minutes of recovery between sets of intervals. (Copied and pasted that bit from the website :D) Really enjoyed this one and was very happy with myself for getting on the turbo when it was so sunny outside and all I wanted to do was throw caution to the wind and head off into the sunset with the wind in my hair :D

I was working extra days this week so all I did on Thursday was walk the dog. I don't know what came over me after walking him on Friday but I quickly hopped on the treadmill and did a short 15 minute jog. Its been sooooo long since I attempted a run. I felt great! Loved it. I totally shouldnt be doing it but I held my arm in such a way that the shoulder wasnt moving so I think it was fine.:cool:

Then on Saturday I was even bolder! I took part in a 50km charity cycle OUTDOORS!! The weather was so beautiful and I had promised a friend months ago that I would do it with her so how could I not do it? So with the warnings from my sister ringing in my ears I cycled slowly and controlled for the 2 hours and loved every minute of it.

Sunday 22nd March With the lovely weather continuing and after Saturday's success I went on a solo easy spin :p:o 37 glorious Kms. Nice an easy, enjoying the bright sky and the freedom. I was like a bold child and I reveled in it :D

Then it comes to this week- its now Wednesday night and I have done nothing since that Sunday spin. And I've eaten like a crazed chocolate and crisp addict! I cannot motivate myself to train after work anymore. I keep making stupid excuses like work is very stressful at the moment. But the ridiculous thing is- I know that hopping on the turbo or running for 20 minutes is the best thing for me when I'm stressed!! Aaagghh!

So I suppose now I've put it out there, I'll have to do something about it. Tomorrow is the day! Back on the straight and narrow. I can do this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there!! I'm curious - how does your shoulder feel? Does it ever hurt? Are you constantly aware that it's not right? Can you sleep at night with it? What percent of the time would you say you don't even think of it?

And regarding not being motivated to train - you might be shocked to hear this, but there have been many times very recently that I have not been motivated to do anything training-wise...but every single time I have forced myself on that bike or thrown myself into the pool and gotten moving, all that lack of motivation dissolved in the dust and bubbles behind me. And I find the less I think about it, the quicker I get going (and the quicker I get it done!), and the less painful the entire process is. Don't think, just do it! ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey there!! I'm curious - how does your shoulder feel? Does it ever hurt? Are you constantly aware that it's not right? Can you sleep at night with it? What percent of the time would you say you don't even think of it?

And regarding not being motivated to train - you might be shocked to hear this, but there have been many times very recently that I have not been motivated to do anything training-wise...but every single time I have forced myself on that bike or thrown myself into the pool and gotten moving, all that lack of motivation dissolved in the dust and bubbles behind me. And I find the less I think about it, the quicker I get going (and the quicker I get it done!), and the less painful the entire process is. Don't think, just do it! ;):)

Hey Dory,
    The shoulder feels weird, I'm aware of it most of the time but I would rarely have pain. Just strange sensations and of course lots of numbness in the area from damaged nerves. Most days though I get shooting pain along the plate and often down my arm. Like a quick electric shock. Not nice but no big deal really. I can sleep but only in one specific position. I can't lie on it and can only turn so far the other way before it starts to feel like it's collapsing in on itself and begins to hurt. I get reoccurring bruising in the middle of the plate every week, it's like the bone ends damage the tissue if I do anything much, I can't wear a sports bra or carry a bag on it or it hurts and bruises a lot. I probably don't think of it a lot actually, until I do something that causes a niggle or go to lift something. Maybe
    I go 70 % of the day without thinking of it.

And you're right of course about the less thinking more doing attitude. I used to be like that, I just need to do it again :)

Turbo session done. Ate well all day too. Back on track, woohoo :)

Outdoor spin today. I'm being very sensible, no outdoor cycling in the rain, no high speeds just one or two easy spins a week and I'll be happy. Although once or twice I thought I would have been much safer at home on my turbo because of the downright dangerous overtaking manovers by some drivers.
    Anyways overall it was a lovely spin. 49.65kms, avg speed 23.4 kph, 100w AP, 115w NP. Max power 405 for a split second :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Good to see your getting to go out a bit on the roads solo! Can stop you getting cabin fever on the turbo. What power meter are you using??

joey100 wrote: »
    Good to see your getting to go out a bit on the roads solo! Can stop you getting cabin fever on the turbo. What power meter are you using??

It's a power tap. Old technology I know but pmaldini set me up with an offer I couldn't refuse. I'm very happy with it. I'm a numbers person so it's great to have more data to work with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Outdoor spin today. I'm being very sensible, no outdoor cycling in the rain, no high speeds just one or two easy spins a week and I'll be happy. Although once or twice I thought I would have been much safer at home on my turbo because of the downright dangerous overtaking manovers by some drivers.
    Anyways overall it was a lovely spin. 49.65kms, avg speed 23.4 kph, 100w AP, 115w NP. Max power 405 for a split second :D

Great to see this Solobally. You're up and moving on the horse again. Max 405W, thats TdF territory ;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great to see this Solobally. You're up and moving on the horse again. Max 405W, thats TdF territory ;)

Ha ha thanks Kurt. TdF...that's next on my list after Ras na mBan ;):D

Saturday 28th - had planned to cycle into Junior training and go with the smallies but the weather was awful so I did an hour on the turbo. Trainer road 8 day California, it was tough and my heart wasn't in it so I bailed after 40 mins and just spun easy to make up the hour.

Sunday 29th - Finally started to follow a plan. I'm going to do the traditional base plan from Trainerroad. So this was Day 1. A session called Fletcher. Easy one.

So what started out a very bad week was salvaged in the end with a few good sessions to keep me ticking over (thanks Dory for the words of wisdom)

Hospital this afternoon. Fingers crossed for a miracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Well I suppose miracles do happen! :eek:

I'm still trying to digest what the consultant told me yesterday as opposed to what his Junior Doctor told me 5 weeks ago. After a few initial questions about pain and some prodding and poking while I moved my arm all over the place, the conversation went something like this:

Consultant: Yes, I'm very happy with that. I would consider it a perfectly healing collarbone.
    Me: :eek: What?... But?...Slow bone growth...dangerously unstable...sound wave therapy...bone graft...What? What?
    Consultant: Nope, you're fine. Get back on your bike!

Well that was the gist of it. He says its healing as well as he would expect any collarbone to be 4 months after surgery. He commented that if I was a professional cyclist I would have been back racing two months ago.

However I should be cautious. Take my time getting back into training. No running, swimming etc until May. And to cycle as much as I like as long as I dont fall :D

Is this good news? YES! How do I feel about it? Very confused.

Maybe I'm so used to hearing bad news that I cant believe good news anymore...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Two words: fcuking doctors.

How awful that the last one caused so much disress, so much so that you don't trust this one.

But glad the news is good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

. And to cycle as much as I like as long as I dont fall :D

of all the advice you got would you ever listen to this bit???:D

great news though. what's the plan now? target a late season couple of races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Delighted to read this good news, if anyone deserves a turn in their luck its you solobally.

(now I bet you'll puncture on your first spin...:))

mossym wrote: »
    of all the advice you got would you ever listen to this bit???:D

great news though. what's the plan now? target a late season couple of races?

No plan yet mossy, just going to keep taking it easy enough for now. I've lost all my confidence so I'll slowly work on getting that back. The thoughts of racing scare the bejesus out of me so I doubt I'll do an open race this season. We'll see though :cool:
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Delighted to read this good news, if anyone deserves a turn in their luck its you solobally.

(now I bet you'll puncture on your first spin...:))

Ha thanks! That made me laugh out loud :D Knowing my luck!

No plan yet mossy, just going to keep taking it easy enough for now. I've lost all my confidence so I'll slowly work on getting that back. The thoughts of racing scare the bejesus out of me so I doubt I'll do an open race this season. We'll see though :cool:

right so, we'll plan a round of the lake with bennymul trig and pmaldini once you've some miles in the legs

right so, we'll plan a round of the lake with bennymul trig and pmaldini once you've some miles in the legs

Excellent you're on (give me a couple weeks though!)

Are you not afraid? I might fall over and take ye all out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hey Anita,

just catching up, bloody great news, you must be thrilled, you wont have to sell that new PT wheel after all!!! as Mossym mentioned above, we should all meet up for a spin around the lake soon, I owe you a few fresh cream buns:D

Excellent you're on (give me a couple weeks though!)

Are you not afraid? I might fall over and take ye all out :D

I think I match you for the amount of falls/breaks, so if we stay behind the lads they will be safe:)

Pmaldini wrote: »
    I think I match you for the amount of falls/breaks, so if we stay behind the lads they will be safe:)

Ha ha well I think I'll have no problem staying behind :D I've been eating too many cream buns!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was going to set up a spin around the lake with her before she got the last news. I'm totes in for this (inviting myself along)

Excellent! We will have a nice gang going so.

Need to start training! :eek:

Were you out today with someone from wheelers?

Were you out today with someone from wheelers?

I was out with the club but turned off by myself and ended up bumping into pmaldini's boss! He was in a red DMG jacket that looks very like a wheelers jacket. On the N7 before the yellow bridge?

Yup. Think I wend past ye in opposite direction. Was in the middle of an interval so didn't register with me who it was for a while. Mind was focused on the effort:)

Cool. I just wave to everyone when I'm out but I don't recognise anyone unless they wear the same gear all the time :-)

I was out with the club but turned off by myself and ended up bumping into pmaldini's boss! He was in a red DMG jacket that looks very like a wheelers jacket. On the N7 before the yellow bridge?

this statement has given me a shock:eek: I didn't realise i'd been demoted

this statement has given me a shock:eek: I didn't realise i'd been demoted

Ha ha I'm so sorry, I just assumed he was the boss the way he seemed to take control of the shop! Hee hee, I should have guessed you were important in your office out back!! :D

Ha ha I'm so sorry, I just assumed he was the boss the way he seemed to take control of the shop! Hee hee, I should have guessed you were important in your office out back!! :D

Ahh Gerry I take it, great guy, the key to a good business is having a great front of house man and Gerry is the best, I bet you didnt get a word in with him and he now knows your life story:D

• Advertisement

Ahh Gerry I take it, great guy, the key to a good business is having a great front of house man and Gerry is the best, I bet you didnt get a word in with him and he now knows your life story:D

Ha ha yeah, we were together for about 5 mins and boy did he fit a lot of talking into those few minutes! Lovely guy, made my day!

Advertisement