Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Tuesday 31st March Late home from work and very caught for time. I could have done nothing but decided to hop on the turbo for half an hour. Better than nothing I suppose.

Thursday 2nd April I'm following a base training plan from Trainerroad, this week is the same session 4 times. Fletcher, a 1:30 easy session. Better avg power today then Sunday. My hamstrings were very sore towards the end though.

Friday 3rd April Trainerroad Fletcher again. 3rd time doing this session in 6 days. Not sure if I like the lack of variety.

Saturday 4th April Met a girl from the club at 8:30 and we cycled into Nenagh together. Great to meet up with all the gang. The route for these spins is usually put up on the club site a day or two before so I had looked at it and decided to stay with them for about 20k then take a short cut home. Ended up being with them much less than that! All was going well, nice easy pace when all of a sudden the racing group turned one way and the rest another. I kind of panicked and kept going straight on my own! Happy I did though. Ended up enjoying the spin on my own and went further than I originally planned. Felt so good towards the end I decided to add in some climbs and went home via Coum and then turned up Portroe hill to add a bit of oomph to the end of the spin :D 60km in 2:38 slow! I blame the hills :D

Sunday 5th April Had to get out and make the most of the fine weather so I went out for a 2 HR spin. I took a usual route, Portroe to Ballina, to Birdhill to Nenagh and round to Portroe. Bumped into a wheeler between Ballina and Birdhill so my easy spin became a bit tougher :) Lovely company but I was glad when we parted ways and I could relax a bit. However as luck would have it, I had the wind at my back along the N7 so it turned into a bit of a speed session where I managed to hold 30kph+ for over 10 mins. Love how that bit of road can make you feel like a superstar when the wind is right. 53km total.

Good week, happy to be back training regularly and even happier to be out on the road :)

Monday 6th April Decided to take advantage of the good weather and my week off work. What's the best thing to do on a bike on a fine day? Hills!! I started off easy with the ramp out of Birdhill, pushed it on the descent- I'm trying my best to be brave at fast speeds! Then the next port of call was gonna be the big one- STEP! I have only heard tales of horror about this climb, I'd never even seen it before but I decided why not and headed for it. Had a quick emergency pit stop in some poor farmers field- we both got a fright when he came along :o:eek: Pretty embarrassing! Anyways off I went to the Silvermines and started to make my way up Step. 600m later I was fecked! I wanted to clip out and walk but I was going so slowly I couldnt clip out without falling over! So I crawled on a bit till it leveled out and came to a stop. That was enough for my first attempt I thought. It's 2.4km to the top and I really hadnt hit the climb at all at that stage! Decided to take the easy route home. 71.3 kms in over 3 hours. So yeah I'm a snail and yes hills are very tough but hey I enjoyed it and I got this years bike tan started :D

Tuesday 7th April The club were having a spin of the Nenagh Summer League route so I decided to tag along. I thought it would be a nice sociable spin. Well I was a bit wrong about that! Firstly there were only about 15 of us there which meant I couldnt hide out the back and then we split into two groups to do roll overs as if it was the actual league!! I was thrilled to make it out to Gooig still with the group if I'm honest and that was before the tough stuff started. So our group went off first and I rolled through a couple times before having to just hang on at the back. Lasted a few kms more then I was out the back on my tod! Ah well a much tougher session than I had thought it would be with some good work done. 47.3 kms with an average speed of 30.1kph

Wednesday 8th April Managed to fit a quick turbo session in before heading to Spanish Point with the hubby for the night. 46 mins before breakfast.

Thursday 9th April Back from a lovely night away I managed to squeeze another quick turbo session in before I went off to marshal the first night of the summer league. Man everyone was sooo fast!! I tried my best moto pacing about 10 guys who had fallen off the back at various points. Great fun!

Friday 10th April Still taking advantage of the week off work I decided to go on a long spin today. Weather colder and very windy today. I did a nice bit of climbing again. Up Templederry, then over Shallee into Newport. I had planned to come home over Coum but took the easier option back into Nenagh and out to Portroe. 106kms in total 24.1kph with 830m of climbing.

Saturday 11th AprilTrip to IKEA followed by IKeano in the Olympia meant a well earned rest day

Sunday 12th AprilI had planned to do a charity cycle with others from the club but one look out the window changed that! I'm still very scared in groups and even more so in the rain so it was a day in front of the tv for me instead. Formula 1 then Paris-Roubaix. Great way to spend a Sunday. Of course I was on the turbo for a lot of it :D Trainerroad Tenaya. 3hrs 20 mins. Fun times!

Good week again this week.
    Monday - turbo after work
    Tuesday - easy spin Shannon to Ennis and back.
    Wednesday - 6am turbo before work!!
    Thursday - Nenagh Summer League. I haven't done this race since June last year so I was very nervous at the start. I go with the first group (somehow called the Leisure group!). I rolled over a bit at the start but decided to have a bit of sense and sat on at the back. That helped a lot and I managed to stay with the bunch till the turnaround. Avg speed to here was 37kph. Dropped on the drag past the nursing home, that extra weight I've put on definitely held me back there. Worked with a guy till the end. Very happy with my night, lasted much longer than I ever thought I would.
    Friday - easy spin
    Saturday - Club spin. Its been a while since I was on one of these with the aim of doing the whole thing. Thankfully the terrible headwind slowed the lads down and so I had an easy reintroduction to the session. We split into two groups for the interval session over to Birr. They were very good making sure I didnt fall off the back and so I managed to stick on the whole way to Birr. After a 60 second stop we all regrouped and headed back to Nenagh. I finally got dropped about a kilometer away from the town when the lads started the wind up home. Took my time getting back home. 105ish kms total. Very happy with that.
    Sunday - Lovely sunny cycle on my own. Went out towards Parteen from Ballina. Horrible headwind when I turned back in. Stopped a few times along the road to watch my clubmates in their different races in the Visit Nenagh Classic. Really jealous of the girls in the women's bunch. (Until I heard there was a big crash!)

Week total: 16hours, 425.8 kms

Oh I forgot- I also went to Junior training for the first time in months on Saturday. Wow they have come on so much! Great to see progression like that. I really like these sessions. Glad to be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It's like you never crashed! Great week there Solobally, you've been very patient with the injuries and comeback, hope you are well rewarded this year and beyond.

• Advertisement

April Summary
    It's all about the bike :D
    58 hours training, 1545 kms.
    6.5lb weight loss

Biggest month of training for me ever. Yeah I've kind of gone all gung ho, training at every opportunity. I've been making good progress but have been frustrated at times. I'm still so slow in comparison to everyone else. I have to keep reminding myself that I was out injured while they were doing a hard winters training.

I did a 156km spin with the club yesterday. They had to steady for me on nearly every drag but I was thrilled with myself for getting to the end. 28.7kph average speed. Not too shabby :D I'm busted today. I hurt all over!

I had 3 wisdom teeth taken out yesterday under general anaesthetic. Wonderful to have a reason to chug down ice cream :D I miss my bike already. Might chance a quick turbo later. I'm looking quite fetching btw, like a bruised chipmunk :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I had 3 wisdom teeth taken out yesterday under general anaesthetic. Wonderful to have a reason to chug down ice cream :D I miss my bike already. Might chance a quick turbo later. I'm looking quite fetching btw, like a bruised chipmunk :p

Bruised? Gosh, we might not recognize you if you weren't! ;):D

Oh dear god it's never ending! I have a stomach bug now! Just back at work yesterday after getting the teeth out, still bruised, swollen and delicate, I was feeling weird all morning. Decided to go home at lunch, boy that was an interesting drive home (think slow drunk snail), slept for 3 hours then spent the rest of the evening emptying the entire contents of my body into the toilet! Nice :D

Had planned to get back training with a club cycle this evening and a TT tomorrow evening. Looks like I'll have to give them a miss.

Good god....rest up!! And if the old adage, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger" is true, then you'll never need to eat spinach again! Ever! :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How are you doing now, ya tough yoke? :)

I'm great thanks Oryx, fully recovered and back training since Monday. More importantly, how are you doing?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I'm great thanks Oryx, fully recovered and back training since Monday. More importantly, how are you doing?

That's good to hear! I wont be fully recovered for a while yet, but miles better than i was :)

I swam! First swim in 18 months! Can't believe its been so long. I've been doing one to one pilates/strength/shoulder rehab sessions for three weeks now and with my instructors encouragement I decided to head back to the pool. After a few minutes of the swishing arm stuff she had recommended to see how the shoulder might feel against resistance, I did 100 m breastroke. She had suggested maybe 100m front crawl would be enough to just test it out. So I did 400m 😄😄😄

I'm amazed I remember how to swim. Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Brilliant news S8.

So....what's the SB8 report?? What's going on with Ms. Crash-Test-Dummy?? (But you are NO dummy!!!) I've seen you lurking about.....so, dish, girl, dish! Catch us up on all things Solobally8! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So....what's the SB8 report?? What's going on with Ms. Crash-Test-Dummy?? (But you are NO dummy!!!) I've seen you lurking about.....so, dish, girl, dish! Catch us up on all things Solobally8! :)

Hey Dory, thanks for checking up on me :)

Nothing much to report on unfortunately. I've been cycling away, long slow rambling spins not an ounce of speed - I've lost it all! Im doing a charity event this Saturday called Kms4kids. It's a 12 cycling relay around a 6.5 km loop. I'm going as a team of 1! So while I'm going to cycle from 7 am to 7 pm, I expect to take many, many breaks throughout the day to eat, stretch etc. Its for the neonatal unit in the Rotunda hospital, a great cause.

Bike racing dreams are over. Life is too busy to put in the proper effort needed to survive the ever growing womens racing scene here. And to be honest the thoughts of it were stressing me out too much.

However I am back swimming and running occasionally. I've joined a fab running group called Durty Mudders where the emphasis is fun and laughter rather than speed and PBs. I need that kind of thing right now. No pressure, just training for the social aspect and stress relief.

Who knows I might do a triathlon or two next year!!

Honestly, what you've written above sounds incredible! I think you've got a healthy and constructive attitude/approach to what you are doing....and I applaud you. I hope you pop in with posts/reports from time to time as your enthusiasm and adventures are a pleasure to read. :)

Thanks Dory you're a sweetheart :)

Advertisement