Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay....next time I am in Ireland (perhaps for DCM :)) I challenge anyone to a dance off!!!! :D
    I would need to be very, very drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I would need to be very, very drunk.

I can make that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

and I can ensure its on youtube *forever*

Oryx...you can crash with me so you don't have to make the journey back down south. :D

interested wrote: »
    and I can ensure its on youtube *forever*

And speaking as your date for the evening, it would be unforgivable for me and Oryx to hog all the face time on film...so...I'm just sayin'....I know how to work a video camera as well. ;);)

• Advertisement

And speaking as your date for the evening, it would be unforgivable for me and Oryx to hog all the face time on film...so...I'm just sayin'....I know how to work a video camera as well. ;);)
    And Im just saying like... that if you wandered into this thread right now, you might just wonder what in the hell we were really talking about... video cameras and dates and such.

Solob, I think now would be a good time to pour cold water on all these shenanigans. :p

Ooooo....creative moment here.....how about we do a fun music video to represent the tri forum?? We pick a peppy little number we can lip synch and strut our stuff to. In my head right now I have "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day...but....you know. And BTH, this is your chance at a starring role!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ooooo....creative moment here.....how about we do a fun music video to represent the tri forum?? We pick a peppy little number we can lip synch and strut our stuff to. In my head right now I have "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day...but....you know. And BTH, this is your chance at a starring role!!! ;)

:eek::eek: I come on here to read about SB8's training and instead read about dancing smackdowns and lip syncing! Bring it on :)

:eek::eek: I come on here to read about SB8's training and instead read about dancing smackdowns and lip syncing! Bring it on :)

And alcohol.....don't foget lots of alcohol. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Woah! I go away for 24 hrs and cant recognise my log :D

I totally love the idea of a dance off! I was actually thinking of it on my way to work- getting RQ drunk and making her do some grapevines in the pub :D

• Advertisement

Back to logging some training :D

Wed 6th Feb
    Club swim session - the slow lane was packed tonight. 9 of us squashed in like sardines. Made for a very stop-starty session. Warm up consisted of bilaterial breathing practice. Even though I managed to swallow a lot of the pool, I was happy to get the chance to practice it. We then did some kick board stuff, which is torture and then some fast stuff. Main set was all front crawl, 4l, 2l, 1l, 1l x2 then 200m all out, same again with 150 all out effort.

Delighted with the session. Its the first club session I've done where I managed to do everything in the set, not missing a single prescribed length :) I also went third for the whole thing- I'm usually last. Feeling strong and faster. Loving it!!

2k total

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Woah! I go away for 24 hrs and cant recognise my log :D

I totally love the idea of a dance off! I was actually thinking of it on my way to work- getting RQ drunk and making her do some grapevines in the pub :D

Myself and metamorphisis did that in a Limerick granny pub a couple of years ago. Super cool. ;)

Thursday 7th Feb Turbo
    Inspired by Banner's turbo session the other day I decided to stop just spinning through my gears and the occasional sprint for my turbo sessions. So I finally got round to using the Friel and Hobson Indoor Cycling book and did E1 Rolling Hilly Course for endurance. I was dying, like totally dying by the second rep of the first set and was thinking there was no way I would get through the whole session. Then I realised I had read the plan wrong :o doh!! I was trying to do 100 rpm in a heavy gear when it should have been 70rpm!! No wonder I was dizzy with the effort. The rest of the session was much easier once I realised my mistake :) Finished it off with lots of easy spinning. 80 mins total

Practiced an aerobics routine for 5 minutes after. I've had no ankle pain all week but these 5 minutes brought it back with a bang. Very frustrating. I just want to run :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

[QUOTE

Practiced an aerobics routine for 5 minutes after. I've had no ankle pain all week but these 5 minutes brought it back with a bang. Very frustrating. I just want to run :mad:[/QUOTE]

Just give it more time, by the looks of it your swimming and cycling are going fantastic, run is also the easiest thing to get back into, did you go to physio?

Trig1 wrote: »

Just give it more time, by the looks of it your swimming and cycling are going fantastic, run is also the easiest thing to get back into, did you go to physio?

Ya I went 2 weeks ago and was supposed to go back last week but to be honest she is €50 a session and I cant justify spending that kind of money at the moment. So I decided to go away and do the strengthening exercises she gave me and stop running for a while. I'm just impatient I think, I want it better now. As you said I should give it time. It's just annoying that it's probably the aerobics course that's caused the injury and I have to keep doing it so I'm worried that it wont heal.

Aaaghh! Rant over :)

Friday 8th Feb
    Time just seemed to get away from me today so I didnt achieve much in the end. Had a Dr's appointment in Nenagh in the morning so planned to swim after. Of course when I got there I realised there was a school in as usual at that time. How many times does this have to happen me before I cop it before I get to the pool ?:) It's funny now that I think a journey to Nenagh (12 mins away) is a waste unless I swim while I'm there:D

Anyway walked the horse/dog when I got home. Little battard nearly dislocated my shoulder trying to chase a trailer. Still sore :mad:

Could only squeeze in a 40 min turbo session before heading to college for the evening.

Saturday 9th Feb
    Great day in college today. 3 hrs of body conditioning before lunch. I really enjoy this stuff. Lots of ab curls, shoulder bridges, planks and push ups with plenty of sweating and laughing thrown in. If I ever teach my own classes it will definitely be a combo of the aerobic stuff and body conditioning.

After lunch was aerobic class practice for 3 hours. The tutor is so considerate. She knows its all the lateral movement that's causing my ankle injury so she came up with a routine for everyone to do that suits me best. Very kind of her.

Tired and achy now after such a long day of exercise. Delighted to say no ankle pain from it though.

Sunday 10th Feb Club cycle and v short swim
    I cant get over how sore my legs are from yesterday. I was awake a lot last night with it. What do you call DOMS that happens immediately?

Because of this I was super nervous before the club cycle today. Dosed up on painkillers and anti-inflamatories before heading off. For the first half hour I kept thinking I should just turn back. Then I said to myself I'll turn at 20k, then 30k and finally I decided it would be better to just try stay with the group as I had no idea where we were and I knew that they wouldnt let me go anyway. They are a great bunch really and at this time of year they dont mind waiting if someone is stuggling. And boy was I struggling today!! I was in pain the whole way round and I realised it was a probably a bad idea to cycle in the first place. But there was no way I was going to miss this because of college. It's intefering with my tri training enough as it is.

So in the end I held on, convinced myself I could do it, just keep peddling and finally made it back to Nenagh in one piece three hours later:)

One of the girls and I cycled around the carpark 3 times to bring the mileage up to 50:D A special kind of madness I think!

Went to the pool after. I was so wrecked I headed into the sauna. Nearly roasted me alive, I cant remember if I was ever actually in one before!! I'm not too good in the heat:o 350m swim in the pool was all I could manage after. I just had no energy left. Pretty crappy eh.

Wrecked all afternoon. Fell asleep watching the rugby.

Weekly summary: 10hrs total, 2 and a bit swims, 1 long cycle, 2 turbo sessions and 3 hrs of conditioning and aerobics. Wrecked but happy.

You are one tough rockin' cookie!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

One of the girls and I cycled around the carpark 3 times to bring the mileage up to 50:D A special kind of madness I think!
    QUOTE]

And I thought I was crazy for running around carparks - now, cycling that's a whole new kind of crazy!
    Super stuff yesterday - I was tired just reading your log! ;)

jcsmum wrote: »

And I thought I was crazy for running around carparks - now, cycling that's a whole new kind of crazy!

Ha ha I know. Although I often used to run round my house or up and down the road a few times to get a round number, it's not surprising I'm starting to do it with cycles now :D

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

Super stuff yesterday - I was tired just reading your log! ;)

What she said; you nutter SB8 :D Running I totally get, biking nope...apart from the turbo...
    Hope the ankle is improving

This weeks training:

Mon 11th Feb: Off work cant remember what I did all day but all I ended up doing was some body conditioning work and resistance training practice for my next exam

Tue 12th Feb: Didnt go to work as I was too sick- some weird sinus/allergic reaction thing. Felt better as the day went on so did a 70 minute turbo session. Did a spin up session from the Friel book. Very tough. I'm loving these sessions- finally getting a good workout on my own on the turbo. I'll def do at least one of these per week from now on.

Wed 13th Feb: Finally back to work. Went to evening club swim session. Cant remember the set. I managed to do all of it again so I'm delighted with that. Ended up doing 95 lengths- my longest distance ever. Happy days :D

Thur 14th Feb: Met up with some of the girls from the tri club for some hill repeats in the dark up Port hill. I warmed up on the turbo for 10 minutes beforehand then cycled round the corner to meet the girls. We had planned to take it easy for our first night and do it 2 times. In the end we did it 3 times. Short and sweet but totally necessary.

Friday 15th Feb: Quick swim while my daughter waited in the car. 1250m alternating pull and swim.

Sat 16th Feb: Resistance training exam in college. Feicked it up royally but I was allowed time to calm down and start again. Got an A in the end. Happy to get that on my worst day :) A few hours learning new lifts and teaching them to each other for the afternoon.

Sun 17th Feb: 2 hour turbo session. Just made it up as I went along, working up and down through the gears. I had planned to swim too but got lazy and stayed at home all evening.

Weekly summary: 6.5 hrs training, 2 turbos, 1 road cycle, 2 swims and 1 cross training session. Not a great week volume-wise but family comittments and college got in the way. Still no running.

Monday 18th Feb
    1550m swim. Started off as an easy swim, nothing special planned but I got a bit bored so I added in some sprints and then practiced my bilateral breathing. I'm still brutal at it but I think I might be improving.

Came home to an empty house so I decided to hop on the treadmill to see how the ankle is holding up. I had decided not to run for the full month of February to give it time to heal but I thought a short tester run wouldnt do any harm :) (I miss running so much!)

Anyway I just did 10 minutes nice and easy. A little dart of pain after about 8 mins made me cut it short- didnt want to push it. Happy to be back running even if it was only 10 mins.

Hopped on the turbo for 20 mins just cos it was there :D

Thursday 7th Feb Turbo
    Inspired by Banner's turbo session the other day I decided to stop just spinning through my gears and the occasional sprint for my turbo sessions. So I finally got round to using the Friel and Hobson Indoor Cycling book and did E1 Rolling Hilly Course for endurance.
    I read this here and ended up getting a copy of this. Its got some great sets in it. Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    I read this here and ended up getting a copy of this. Its got some great sets in it. Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. :)

Oh cool, there are some tough sets in there alright. Cant take the credit for discovering it though- RQ sent it to me about a year ago. Great addition to my training.

Oh cool, there are some tough sets in there alright. Cant take the credit for discovering it though- RQ sent it to me about a year ago. Great addition to my training.

RQ will be on looking for commission soon from all of us :D. But yes some good sets in there for whatever durations you need.

Had planned to do hill repeats on the bike on Tuesday but after a tough day at work, I rang the hubby on the way home to say no way I was cooking dinner so get your glad rags on we are going on a date :D Had a lovely indulgent evening of food and laughter.

I was gone away all day yesterday, not home till 11 last night so no training for the second day in a row :eek: It's amazing how missing 2 days can make you feel fat and lazy.

I had planned to swim today but the pool was taken over by school kids so I had to give it a miss. Managed to get my turbo session in though. Another endurance session from the indoor cycling book. I used training zones for the first time. It was a weird session. The warm up nearly killed me, I havent been doing enough out of the saddle or one legged stuff so it really brought my heart rate up. Then I found it difficult to get it back down to Z1 for the main set. After about 5 mins I was there though but when I had to push to Z3 I found it impossible to get my HR up that high. Got there eventually though but nearly killing myself with effort. Obviously I havent been pushing myself hard enough at all! What I thought was a hard effort was most definitely not when you bring heart rates into it.

Anyways I happily survived 81 mins.

11 minute run on the treadmill after. Happy to report no real ankle pain.

Date night, ah how cute :D. Life just needs to take priority at times doesn't it.
    I have to say I really like those turbo sessions, it's nice to be able to pick and choose. Great to see you back running, hope the ankle holds up.

God it's been a while since I updated. I have been training, but not as much as I would like. Life, work and college getting in the way hugely. A family member has a mental illness. I spend each day worrying about her, waiting to see what she will do next and how much longer can I cope with it all. Training is my release from it all. Especially training with other people. Last Sunday on the club spin I realised I hadnt thought about her in over an hour. It was great. I know this post should belong over in the personal issues forum but they wouldnt understand how important my training is. My friends think I should spend more time focusing on my family life and not planning my life trying to fit a swim or bike session in. They just dont understand that those sessions are what keep me sane.

Anyways pity party over. I'll log my recent training when I get home this evening.

• Advertisement

They just dont understand that those sessions are what keep me sane.

You are not alone. I'm right there with ya! ;):)

Advertisement