Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thanks guys, not sure if I'm foolish or brave right now. Either way I'm a happy bunny getting ready for bed now after 2 chocolate ice creams! Super pre-race nutrition!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

You poor thing- fair play for getting back into it so quick. Hope today goes/ has gone well.

Am...ok I really shouldn't have raced today :(

I have to say well done to lanesboro tri club for a great day. So well organised, lovely course and I especially loved the support - and the hose - on the run.

It all started well enough for me. After a bit of a queue for registration I was in transition with plenty of time to spare. Happy the sun was hiding at this stage. When I got in the water I couldn't believe how warm it was. I've never swam in such toasty water before. Anyway I took my usual position to the rear and we were off. My left shoulder was moaning at me all the time but I ignored it and carried on. I liked the swim course, nice having such big buoys, and the water was almost flat calm. Out in 19 something, my usual time I suppose and was happy enough with it as I just wanted to get round in one piece today no matter how long it took.

T1 was fine except for a guy at the mount line who swerved out in front of me, nearly knocking me and a few others. My bike went really well, no adverse effects from the fall, I wasn't scared at any stage. Slow out to the turn around, hampered by pelatons. It's hard to overtake groups of 8 people spread 3 abreast! I was flying on the way back in and was happy to see I had done the 20k in under 40 mins.

My fastest ever T2 in 1:02. I was thrilled when I looked at my watch and realised that if I could keep it together I would not only beat my time from Athlone last week, I was probably on for my fastest sprint yet!

However the minute I ran out of transition I knew I had a problem. The pain in my ass was excruciating. I was near tears and thought about stopping but I was still going at a half decent pace so I ploughed on. Then with less than 2 k to go I got an almighty cramp,spasm I actually don't know what it was, across my glute, into my groin and through my lady area. It nearly floored me. All I could think of was I was sooooo close to the finish and a pb! A Marshall came over and helped me stretch and soon I tried to jog on but had to give up and walk a bit. With 1k to go I managed to break into a trot and finally a sprint to the line. A very disappointing 1:32:13.

At the finish line I knew I was in serious trouble, I couldn't put any weight on my left leg, pain was unbearable. Had to be lifted to the car! Straight to shannondoc when we got back to Nenagh. I have a torn hamstring at the insertion to my ischium. He also thinks I might have a hairline fracture in my pelvis which was missed in a+e last week.

So I can't walk, I'm in lots of pain and I can't train for at least 3 weeks. Sooooo wasn't worth it!! Should have stayed at home :o

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Oh my gosh solobally, it sounds excruciating. I'm über impressed at your determination but also horrified at the fact that there's possibly a fracture there missed by a&e. Hope the pain eases soon and whatever you do, take docs advice re the rest.

Thanks c07. I have learnt my lesson I'll definitely take my time recovering this time. Annoyed with myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

****e Solobally8. Sorry to hear that.
    The rest will do you no harm. Well done on finishing today it cant have been easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done solo, never mind the run, can't have been easy to swim and cycle like that. That story about V.fenton from a few weekends ago doesn't seem so impressive now. To even finish when you feel like that is great, next time u get to the run it will feel very easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ouch! Sorry to have missed you today (that was me in the Tinahely suit alright), and sorry that your day ended like it did. Your desire to turn up and compete here is fully understandable, well done on getting through the swim and bike. Look after that injury and hopefully you'll be back at it ASAP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

How did you even finish SoloB8?! It a real shame and I feel for ya big time. I hope you are at least comfortable tonight and not in pain. Good luck with the recovery, take your time and don't rush it and you will be grand. Well done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sb8!!! Holy crap, girl! What a time you've had - but well done on the bike and swim today :D- jeez, you are one tough cookie to have endured what you have endured. It's not all that out of the question to have originally undetectable fractures show up on x-rays days after an injury....I suppose it has to do with things shifting through subsequent movement....but I feel so bad the fracture (and pain) had to rear its ugly head this way. Rest up, my dear, and mind your doctors and your hubby so you can be back better than every lickity split!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

thats it..you ARE actually the most unlucky and injury prone person I know (and I dont even know you :D)...so sorry to hear about your race but fair play for finishing especially carrying a torn hamstring...your some woman :cool:...hope you heal well and might see you at worlds end or Brian Boru??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive about you racing...but I didn't think you'd end up like that :eek:

Fair play, don't think I'd have raced!

Oh no, did you find out if its a hairline fracture? I hope you are doing ok.

It's been a while since I update here. I have been around, reading everyone else's logs as usual but haven't been interested in updating my own.

Im still not right from the fall. Luckily enough there was no pelvic fracture but after visiting a couple physios I finally found out that apparently my left hip flexor was damaged as I came down on it like a sack of spuds in the crash. Because of this my hamstring and adductor have been working overtime and that is why I'm feeling so much pain in them. So I've been doing my strengthening exercises for them and have slowly returned to a bit of training. My season is over though so I had to pull out of Dublin Tri and Lough Key. I've lost nearly €200 from missed races this year. Very annoying. Next year I wont be signing up to races so early. I don't know how that will work when aiming for NS points as they tend to sell out so fast. Ah well, next year is very far off and the way I'm feeling about triathlon at the moment I don't even know if I'll bother at all.

I cant run and that's very frustrating. It's the first year since I started running 7 years ago that I haven't competed in a single road race all year. I miss them.

Anyways while I haven't been training I have discovered a life outside triathlon which I really like. I have other things to talk to people about besides training! I bet they are very relieved :)

So since I last updated I've managed to cover 275kms on the bike between the turbo and 3 cycles out on the road. Ive been swimming with the pull buoy as it hurts to kick (12,725m) and I've started rowing again once a week. Im 4 weeks into a new strength training programme too. I've copped on with the diet and have lost 7.8lbs in 5 weeks.

The new plan is to get in shape, lose another 9 - 10 lbs and get over this injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good to see you back and being positive about your situation. The injury will pass and the turbo and the swimming will keep you in good shape.

Glad to see you back at it SoloBally8

My money's on you to beat this injury and make it a distant memory in due time. Honestly, it sounds like you are making the best of a bad situation and are probably gaining strength in areas that perhaps you wouldn't have gained had you not been forced to alter your training. In true Solobally8 style, your positive attitude is shining through. :)

Thanks guys by just posting on here I've actually found a new found motivation. The next 6 weeks will be focused on recovery and then hopefully I'll be ready to start winter training from the first week of October.

This weeks training:
    Monday 19th Aug
    1800m swim. I'm trying to do more and more without the pull buoy. Little by little.
    Physio has asked me to try run 15 minutes today. I have been a little bold (not doing my leg exercises every day) so I knew I really wasn't ready to run on it yet. Decided to head out and see how it felt. Bad news - it hurt a lot. Ah well a few more days of consistent hip flexor exercises might bring about an improvement. Hopped on the rowing machine for 15 mins after.

Wed 21st Aug
    60 minute turbo. Hooked up my new garmin cadence sensor to the bike so now I have info on everything. Im really into my stats so am now happy to have hr, cadence, distance, pace etc info woohoo :D Someday I might just figure out how to use that info to actually get faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Delighted to hear you're getting ur mojo back SB!! :D

Thurs 22nd - Swim 1725 m. Did this in 250m segments. Managed 30 lengths total without pull buoy. I can definitely feel an improvement in the leg :)

Friday 23rd - Turbo twice! A quick half hour session in the morning as I was getting a little procedure done at doctors and wasn't sure how long I might be unable to train for after.

Answer was...training not affected at all! Did another hour on the turbo later. Still loving the heart rate and cadence info. It's really making my sessions interesting.

Saturday 24th - Long swim (well long for me anyway :D) 2075m. The pool was busy when I got in first so I thought I wouldn't get much of a session in. It got much quieter though after the first 1000m and I decided to keep going. Delighted with this weeks swimming. I'm doing more and more without the pull buoy and also hit the most metres in a week since I learned to swim 2 years ago!

Sunday 25th - I had planned to do a nice long road cycle to see how the leg was progressing on the bike but as the morning went on I found excuse after excuse to put it off. In all honesty I'm gone a bit scared of being out on the road on my own. The fall and a few near misses with cars have knocked my confidence and I just wasn't in the form to be harassed by cars today. Ended up doing a one hour turbo while trying to watch the brownlees on one channel and the vuelta on another. Thrilled for Nico roche!

• Advertisement

Monday 26th Aug
    Just a swim today. Took it nice and easy as I was tired after the weekend. 1525m total. Would have done more except I was caught for time.

Good news: Down 2.4lbs this week.
    Bad news: Back to work tomorrow after 7.5 weeks off.

Fair play misses- I thought you were taking things easy but your log is fairly active! I know how you feel about the roads they are all narrow and twisty where I'm from, some days I can't face the whole stress around crossing at blind corners and jumping into ditches and I haven't had as close an encounter as yourself. (Thank god for the beach beside me). Enjoy work:p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89843583@N00/9837227813/

Woohoo, my new bike!!!! I love her!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/89843583@N00/9837227813/

Woohoo, my new bike!!!! I love her!

She's GORGEOUS!!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    She's GORGEOUS!!! :D

Thanks Dory. I spent a good bit of my day today just looking at her :D

Haven't updated this at all in September. I haven't been doing much really. September is always a tough month for me. I go back to work after 7 weeks off and I end up being exhausted every evening. Then finally after a few weeks I get back into my routine and find the energy levels coming back. I think I'm just about getting there now. Just in time for the tri club winter training to resume next Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting back into regular structured training.

I still cant run. I'm in pain every day. I'm going to see a different physical therapist tomorrow so hopefully he will beat the crap out of my hamstring and make it get better because all this stretching is doing nothing for my injury. I haven't swam a metre since August so getting back in the pool this week will be interesting to say the least.

I have been cycling though. A little, not as much as I should be but still I've been doing a bit. 410kms for the month so far and I intend to add to that this evening with a quick turbo session. My new bike has been a major motivator with 250kms of that cycling taking place in the last 9 days since I got her :D I'm trying to get as many miles in as possible before I retire her for the winter.

Hi Solobally- hows the hamstring? New bike? Hope alls well.

madon wrote: »
    Hi Solobally- hows the hamstring? New bike? Hope alls well.

Hey madon thanks for checking in :)

New bike is fantastic. So much so I have decided to bike race next year so am spending all my time cycling these days. I have a coach and a new diet (have lost 9.2 lbs in 6 weeks whoo). My hamstring still isn't better so no running for me. It's a bit frustrating but I'm loving the cycling so I don't mind too much.

I didn't realise you boxed! You should tell us more about it in your log.

Hey you...some amount of cycling going on here...are you gonna update you log this year...:p SBR's number 1 cyclist!!!:)

• Advertisement

It would be very boring Trig1, cycling, cycling and more cycling. I might do a summary of my training every now and then and will definitely write up race reports. I plan on doing a triathlon or two later this year but for the moment it's all cycling

Advertisement