Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring the seemingly uninsurable

• 03-01-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I wannt to get insured on a classic. As my only car. And I'm under 25. On a provisional license.

On the plus side I'm driving three years and am claims free.

I explained to a few companies that I am willing to pay a great deal for this privilege but to no avail. Is it just me or are phone operators a bit clueless? One asked the age of the car, 1970, and then asked when was it last NCTd :rolleyes:

The car is a 1.2 so not crazy big

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

dazey wrote: »
    I wannt to get insured on a classic. As my only car. And I'm under 25. On a provisional license.

On the plus side I'm driving three years and am claims free.

I explained to a few companies that I am willing to pay a great deal for this privilege but to no avail. Is it just me or are phone operators a bit clueless? One asked the age of the car, 1970, and then asked when was it last NCTd :rolleyes:

The car is a 1.2 so not crazy big

I suppose the real question here is... Why are you still on a provisional if you've been driving for three years? :D Pass your test, and you'll find that it's a lot easier to get insured on something out of the ordinary (and by that, i mean a Yaris) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I remember when I had my landy which was just before the nct was introduced that I couldn't get insurance either no matter how hard I tried, I thought that if I could volunteer it for a test then they couldn't refuse a it would be roadworthy but still no. So I'm very much afraid the you'll have to suck it up and forget about it for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

You have a few things going against you here I think

1. Why 3 years on a provisional licence?
    2. Classic as an only car
    3. 25
    4. You are making the classic mistake of ringing the insurance companies - call in to them, that way is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Whats the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

Not a chance of getting insurance on a learner permit, the best thing to do is get your test squared away and then approach the classic car route. You must also remember that a lot of companies will not insure anything over 15 years old now and classic car policies require a second regular policy. Some companies will insure older cars as daily runners and can be quite reasonable. The last time I checked my P1800 was about 450 to insure as a daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Firstly, insurance co. clerks ARE clueless - one kept asking me to repeat the 602cc of my Citroen before telling me it was impossible to have an engine that small :mad:

They know NOTHING about cars - even AXA ( whose boss, John O'Neill, is a bit of a petrolhead )

Solution- buy/insure Suzuki Alto / Cinquecento and THEN get Classic policy
    I explained to a few companies that I am willing to pay a great deal for this privilege

You have the money - then do the sums on my suggestion, probably cheap enough :confused:

Ya know the old loop hole where a guy gets his mother to insure a lancer evo in her name then insures a city car in his name with a policy that allows him to drive others thus availing him the use of the lancer evo.
    I don't know if this loophole was closed or if it would work on a classic but cuuldn't see why it wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

i remember wanted to get a mk1 fiesta for a first car, was only 20 with a provisional licence, i called so many insurance companys about it,i think quinn said an engineer would have to go and look at it first, i think it was liberty insurance that actually gave me a quote for insurance, it was around 3k to be insured on it, think the car i was looking at was a 79 on old reg plates, the main thing to do is ring every insurance company in ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A 21 year old friend of mine is insured on a 73 Beetle with Axa as his only car for 800eur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Try first Ireland brokers, solved a few previous boardsies probs on my suggestion before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

It seems my age is the biggest problem. I asked several would they be more inclined to insure me with the full license - still a flat no. What is nedded is a minimum of five years driving experience or to be 25 or over.

Last year I found one broker that would insure me, contacted them again 8 months later to discover that their criteria has changed.

Also I don't want to go the route of becoming a named driver on a parent's policy, if anything did happen I don't want to be reponsible for an increase in their premium.

Don't have the space for two cars :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

is there not a rule that if you've been refused insurance by "X" amount of brokers then the "X+1" broker HAS to offer you a quote? Or did I dream that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Its four IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

is there not a rule that if you've been refused insurance by "X" amount of brokers then the "X+1" broker HAS to offer you a quote? Or did I dream that?

I don't follow you ...but would love if there was a loophole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

dazey wrote: »
    I don't follow you ...but would love if there was a loophole

There's a law that says that if you've been refused insurance a certain number of times (apparently 4), the next insurance company you try to get a quote from, legally HAVE to insure you, no matter what your age is or what car you drive. Of course, they can charge you a ridiculous premium, but at least you'll get insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

PM sent to Dazey

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Lads, how about we look for some evidence rather than half-remembered makey-uppy stuff. :rolleyes:

National Consumer Agency
    Refused motor insurance

An insurance company can refuse to sell you motor insurance as long as they are not in breach of equality law. However, if you ask for an explanation, they must write and tell you why.
    If you are refused cover by three or more companies you can contact the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation. They will get an insurance quote for you (usually the first company you approached will be asked to quote) unless there are good public policy reasons why you should not be given motor insurance. It is important that you keep note of the order in which you looked for quotes.
    Before the committee considers your case, you must first have been refused a quote in writing from at least three insurance companies. You can also contact the Declined Cases Committee in cases where you feel a quote is too high or the conditions attached are so severe that it amounts to a refusal to give you insurance.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Lads, how about we look for some evidence rather than half-remembered makey-uppy stuff. :rolleyes:

National Consumer Agency
    You'd look like some fool insisting that the fourth company are legally bound to insure you now! Goes to show that you should take everything you read in an internet chat room with a pinch of salt, but at least you've found a route to you're quote.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Probably worth sticking this link in here:

Dealing with Difficult to Place Motor Risks - Joe McPartlan, Motor Underwriting Manager, QBE Ireland (PDF)

as it explains how the Declined Cases Agreement works in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Is there any insurance company or broker in Ireland offering specific insurance for modified classic cars or is it accepted that modifications are automatically allowed.
    The reason I ask is that Irish Vintage are able to fill a couple of magazines a year with such cars, but who insures them?

Many UK classic car insurance policies allow younger drivers from about 19 up, although on smaller engined cars usually, so have Irish insurance companies discovered a fundamental difference between between young Irish men and young British men:rolleyes:
    And aren't Most Irish insurance companies British owned anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Why don't ye PM me your classic /something different cars that need quotes - i work in both areas here in ireland as some of the boardies here know...

now i mightnt be able help all but happy to try

Advertisement