Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URL redirecting & browser search results

Options
  • 03-01-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I currently have a website (X) and just bought a new domain (Y).

I want to send people from Y to X.
    My two options are
    1. redirect/forwarding
    2. have content on Y homepage and a link to X. If I go with option 2 people mightn't click on the link at all.

If I go with option 1 the advantage is people are redirected automatically. The disadvantage (can anyone confirm?) would be that the Y url won't come up in any search engine results if someone types in 'Y'. Is this correct, even if I register the Y with search engines?

If this is the case and i go with frame forwarding instead (forward a user to the site you desire, but the original URL will remain in the address bar) can I then register the domain with search engines?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i have it set up now but if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.
    http://www.10reasonstoexist.com is the url I bought, it's the working title of U2's new album.

In my photo website I give all my blog posts related music titles. 10reasons... now redirects to a blog post on my site that's about U2, hopefully I'll get some more traffic & followers from it

Advertisement