Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are almost all landlords against rent allowance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It would flood the rental market and cause the BLT loans to default.

Would the banks charge you interest for the mayo on one of those I wonder :o

IMO NAMA should release some of the currently empty properties that are on its books to ensure a balanced playing field in the rental market. The trouble is working out how much this some is. Too much and we'll see a swathe of BTL loans defaulting, not enough and they may as well not have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

NAMA doesn't have property evenly scattered around the country with "even" access to schools (for example). My tenants have a son of school going age. Wherever they live, must be within reach of a school with a place for that boy. I would be extremely surprised if ready to move into NAMA properties are not concentrated in particular areas (I don't know of any great supply of ready to move into NAMA properties in D15, certainly not enough that could take all the D15 RS tenants anyway) and if most of those properties were not outside major urban centres (ie, centres more likely to be able to provide at least a school place, somewhere reachable from the home).

In any case, NAMA's job is to make the smallest loss possible for the taxpayer. It is not there to make renting cheaper for renters or make house prices cheaper for first time buyers. It should never have been established IMO but now that we have it, let it make the smallest loss possible for the taxpayer (who will be expected to foot any loss NAMA makes of course).

As a landlord, we need rent controls to make long term renting attractive to decent tenants and we also need a system whereby bad tenants can be removed quickly and efficiently by the landlord so he is not ruined by them. We need a bond system with blacklists to protect both parties. We need all these things and we can have them, as other countries do. The constitution can be changed if it is presenting a problem. The constitution shouldn't be making life more difficult for the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN many areas ra limit is below average rent ,therefore
    many landlords can,t afford to take on ra client,many bought in the boom, in negative equity .The rent hardly covers the mortgage.IF you are single you should be allowed to sign a form, let rent be paid to landlord if you wish.Landlords are running a business.
    I think nama, owns loads of apartment blocks in dublin,they are not going to rent them out,to ra clients,for various technical ,reasons .They may sell some blocks maybe to local councils or housing charitys,if it makes
    financial sense.

ON current rates only a single mother can afford an apartment on rent allowance.
    They have alot of empty buildings,which they are not renting out
    OR buildings which are 90 per cent complete.
    Namas job is not to fix the social housing problem,
    i think its there to complete building projects, and sell or rent buildings at a profit,providing a return to the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

murphaph wrote: »
    NAMA doesn't have property evenly scattered around the country with "even" access to schools (for example). My tenants have a son of school going age. Wherever they live, must be within reach of a school with a place for that boy. I would be extremely surprised if ready to move into NAMA properties are not concentrated in particular areas (I don't know of any great supply of ready to move into NAMA properties in D15, certainly not enough that could take all the D15 RS tenants anyway) and if most of those properties were not outside major urban centres (ie, centres more likely to be able to provide at least a school place, somewhere reachable from the home)...

Why D.15? there isn't enough school places there to begin with. Nama could even out the unbalanced Development and urban crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BostonB wrote: »
    Why D.15? there isn't enough school places there to begin with. Nama could even out the unbalanced Development and urban crawl.
    Sorry I don't get you BostonB. Could you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

riclad wrote: »
    They may sell some blocks maybe to local councils or housing charitys,if it makes financial sense.

I think they're starting to do that now, I read somewhere, not sure where, possibly askaboutmoney.com or thepropertypin.com , that NAMA had sold a block in the Herbeton development in D8 to Clúid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

murphaph wrote: »
    Sorry I don't get you BostonB. Could you elaborate?

Make no sense to keep feeding the Over development of D.15.

Advertisement