Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hand Iphone activation??

• 03-01-2013 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm having some issues getting a second hand iPhone 4 activated. Could someone tell me if this is something I need to contact Apple for or Three?

The phone was unlocked (supposedly) and currently has a Three sim in it. (even if it's not unlocked, it was previously used on Three).

I've restored it numerous times now and every time it comes up saying there's a problem reaching the activation server. It does this both connected to iTunes and over Wifi.

I can't activate the sim as obviously I can't dial 1744 from the phone.

Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did you get the micro sim activated in the shop yet? it takes about 48 hours with three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ehm.....the sim was bought before Christmas and topped up in the shop.
    Would that mean it's been activated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is it a brand new sim? I had awful trouble when I was changing from a normal sim to a micro sim (and more trouble recently when switching to a nano sim). In the carphone warehouse they had to transfer my number from one sim to the other and it took 2 days each time. go in and ask them to sort it out for you would be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Have you tried wiping the phone and starting again? Go to Settings > General > Erase all content and settings (only do this if there's nothing on the phone you don't want deleted). After that cycles start the phone up again and attempt to activate as normal. If that doesn't work it must be something to do with the new sim. You'll need to borrow a phone and call your network to see what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Try someone else's 3 sim in it or try your 3 sim in a different phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

If it's unlocked then try someone else's O2 or Meteor or 3 SIM.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

It could be blacklisted bu previous owner who did insurance scam on you call three and see what they say about phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

brophs wrote: »
    Have you tried wiping the phone and starting again? Go to Settings > General > Erase all content and settings (only do this if there's nothing on the phone you don't want deleted). After that cycles start the phone up again and attempt to activate as normal. If that doesn't work it must be something to do with the new sim. You'll need to borrow a phone and call your network to see what's going on.

It needs to be already activated to do that, and he's restored it numerous times so there shouldn't be much on it....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. I'm selling my iPhone 4. I bought this with O2 and O2 unlocked the phone for me. The phone is currently with 3 so when I restore this phone will it be locked again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

wexie wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having some issues getting a second hand iPhone 4 activated. Could someone tell me if this is something I need to contact Apple for or Three?

The phone was unlocked (supposedly) and currently has a Three sim in it. (even if it's not unlocked, it was previously used on Three).

I've restored it numerous times now and every time it comes up saying there's a problem reaching the activation server. It does this both connected to iTunes and over Wifi.

I can't activate the sim as obviously I can't dial 1744 from the phone.

Any info much appreciated.

Any update?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. I'm selling my iPhone 4. I bought this with O2 and O2 unlocked the phone for me. The phone is currently with 3 so when I restore this phone will it be locked again?

If it's officially unlocked it will stay unlocked and can be restored no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

naasrd wrote: »
    Any update?

Hi,

sorry busy weekend, I've dropped it with a friend who's going to try it with his sim (no other microsim available).

hopefully I'll know more soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

wexie wrote: »
    Hi,

sorry busy weekend, I've dropped it with a friend who's going to try it with his sim (no other microsim available).

hopefully I'll know more soon.

If you get no luck you could drop into me I'm based in new ross

Advertisement