Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anybody bought an Iphone from adverts.ie

• 03-01-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I was wondering if any has (or knows of) anybody buying an Iphone off of adverts.ie ? I'm looking for a 4 or a 4s. There's a woman selling a 16gb 10 minute drive from me for a pretty good deal but is it a risk? If the phone actually is faulty where do I stand?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831582

There's some ideas about things to do once you have then phone to make sure someone doesn't block it after you bought it.

Don't be put off though - usually someone with good feedback on Adverts is probably as safe as you'll get on the Internet (if you're in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Dades wrote: »
    Have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831582

There's some ideas about things to do once you have then phone to make sure someone doesn't block it after you bought it.

Don't be put off though - usually someone with good feedback on Adverts is probably as safe as you'll get on the Internet (if you're in Ireland).

If they do block it, what can I do? Isn't the phone finished then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

four times, twice fine, but twice i've been conned. First time I got my money back second time most recently is still ongoing. Be careful and insist on good feedback. If a price is too good its probably for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

i bought two older ones, the first worked for a month then gave up, the second i had it six weeks, i connected to itunes, then i got a blast of the 1013, this made the fone rather expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ducina

• Advertisement

If they do block it, what can I do? Isn't the phone finished then?
    Pretty much. But there'd only block it after if they were scamming you and an insurance company. Have a read of that thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Only buy off a seller with a good load of positive feedback , I have sold about 10 iPhones on adverts with no issues from the buyers and always ask them to leave feedback.
    Before anyone starts I have none for sale at the moment.
    Fairly safe to but off someone with good feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I've sold 2, a 4 and a 4S. I wouldn't buy one used, I'd rather hold out and get the cash for a new one, but if you have to then don't deal with anyone who doesn't have less than 100% positive feedback as a seller (check this, some people might be great buyers, but this could be their first sale). Ask for the IMEI, a receipt if possible, etc. Other than that you just have to go with your gut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

OP I wouldn't. Got a new 4s 16g for €325 yesterday with a trade in for an old 3G up in a shop on clanbrassil st. Guy gave me a guarantee and everything. Better get it from a shop. Somewhere you can go back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

jamesd wrote: »
    Only buy off a seller with a good load of positive feedback , I have sold about 10 iPhones on adverts with no issues from the buyers and always ask them to leave feedback.
    Before anyone starts I have none for sale at the moment.
    Fairly safe to but off someone with good feedback.

What about real, legit, people who really only have reason to sell once, because they are not dealers and just ordinary folk with an iPhone they want to get rid of ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

david75 wrote: »
    OP I wouldn't. Got a new 4s 16g for €325 yesterday with a trade in for an old 3G up in a shop on clanbrassil st. Guy gave me a guarantee and everything. Better get it from a shop. Somewhere you can go back to.

Didn't know there was an apple store on Clanbrassil St.

I think it's just as risky buying from those type shops as it is from a 100% positive seller on adverts. I've sold 4 or so for myself and friends and i wouldn't dream of screwing anyone. I've bought 2 on adverts also and had no issues. Read the feedback and collect from their house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Ive bought a 3GS, a 4, and two 4's. ALl were perfect apart from one the 4's which i believed was blacklisted due to problems with it, but the seller refunded me the next day thankfully.

Ive sold the same 3GS and 4 on it also, and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I never bought one, but I did sell one a few weeks ago. Not all of us are cashn'dash folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Have bought 4 over the years, all worked out fine. There was one occasion that seemed a bit dodgy so I bailed on it, otherwise good.

If you insist on a receipt, even if it's a phone well out of guarantee, or even a box (check the IMEI matches!), then you're fairly safe that it's not stolen/dodgy, and is a legitimate sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I've sold 2 previous iPhones on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I bought an iPhone 4 last month on adverts

Seller was genuine and I'm very happy with it

Look for good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Michael123a

david75 wrote: »

That what I agree. if you still want to buy online,you can go to amazon or bestbuy etc. that would be more safe. Actually iPhone 4S price are almost the same in one country. so becarful some cheap iPhone 4S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I followed the checklist shown above and checked the warranty etc and even brought into a meteor store to try a sim in it and checked for water damage and when it stopped working after a month they said the warranty was void because it had already been opened and had non genuine apple parts in it. The seller says he bought it like that unknown to him so I have to bite the bullet and pay for a fix adter making every effort to get as new a phone as possible. In retrospect the low feedback (4 i think) and age of the seller should have made me pull out. Paypal is also a good tool to use.

I just remembered - I sold my iPhone 4 on Adverts in October. So there's one more honest seller!

I even spoke with the buyer a week later when he rang me. (Hadn't waited long enough for Meteor to activate a SIM...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Bought an iPhone off someone on Adverts with very good feedback. Was really happy with the price and the seller.

After reading some of the horror stories about people buying a phone and then having it blocked due to insurance scams etc, it would make me think a bit more carefully next time.

As above, make sure the person you are dealing with has good feedback and if the price is too good to be true..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bought and sold a few iphones/ipods over the years, was fine.
    Check out seller's feedback and take usual precautions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I've sold a 3G and an iPhone 4 on adverts over the past couple of years with no issues at all. I tend to keep my phone in a case from day one and look after it because I know when I upgrade I can be confident I'm giving someone else a great deal. I'd hate nothing more than having to deal with an angry buyer so I make sure everything is spot on.

I've got very good feedback though so that definitely helps. I wouldn't buy such an expensive item from someone with no feedback. Generally there are loads of iPhones on adverts at any given time so you can shop around a bit anyway.

Another thing I have done in the past is actually sell on fairly cheap as I usually only look to cover the cost of my upgrade which is usually heavily discounted from o2 which is something I might be wary of in the future as the chap I sold my iPhone 4 to was very nervous about buying at the price. It was like he thought there must be something up with it. Anyway, all was fine so I didn't need to worry.

I'm actually thinking of moving on my iPhone 5 and getting a 4s. I just prefer the size of the 4s. Am I mad or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I sold a 3GS and 4 through adverts and both were priced on te bottom end of the scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I bought a 3GS and a 4 off Adverts and had no problem. I also sold my 3GS on Adverts without a problem.
    However, you really need to keep your wits about you and no matter how many checks you do and how safe you are, there is still that slight chance that it will all go wrong (getting blacklisted etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murfbrowne

Hi there
    I am looking to buy a phone from adverts or donedeal. I have a PayPal account. How does this form of payment protect me as I am prepared to deal without seeing the actual phone. Ie getting it posted to cork.
    Thanks
    Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

If you're using PayPal, it's a really secure form of payment and if you have any problems, PayPal can usually sort things out within 1 month if the seller doesn't respond. I have been scammed before on eBay, bought a phone from a seller but it was never shipped and never arrived. In general, PayPal's buyer's protection is top notch so there really is nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

I wouldn't buy from Donedeal via post, as you might not be buying what you are seeing.
    At least with Adverts, you have a bit of safety if the way they have feedback, and profiles to track them via.

I would only ever buy from Donedeal if i was meeting the person though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

As a general rule, if at all possible, have the seller call the network the iPhone is locked to while you're there with them and explain to them the change of ownership. That might at least stop them calling their network/insurance company telling a sob story about the phone being stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've sold some 4's 4S's on Adverts, all them fully legitimate phones, I always advertise at the bottom end of the scale for quick easy sales.
    ie iphone4 €180, iphone 4S €220

Advertisement