Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan players walk off because of Racist Chanting

• 03-01-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

BBC reporting AC milan players have walked off the field during a friendly game because of racist chanting towards KP Boateng

BBC reporting it as;

"More on the AC Milan players walking off during a friendly against Pro Patria because of racist chanting. Kevin Prince Boateng was in possession on the left wing in the 26th minute, suddenly picked the ball up and smashed it towards the stand behind him.

The Ghana midfielder then tore off his shirt and walked off the field at the opposite end. On his way, he applauded other sections of the crowd, who then appeared to react angrily towards the corner of the ground from which the chants came.

Pro Patria's Dario Alberto Polverini attempted to talk to Boateng as he departed, but the midfielder carried on walking and the rest of the players and officials followed him off the pitch."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

jeez Italians everwhere today having hissy fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Dante

Fair play to him, only wish he could have sculled somebody in the crowd with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Leiva wrote: »
    hissy fits.

Nice downplaying of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

could he have not gone over to the bench and asked to be subbed?

Oh go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

could he have not gone over to the bench and asked to be subbed?

you're joking surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Well done to him, however it could be a dangerous precedent

Not saying this wasnt justified as it appears rather blatant by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Iang87 wrote: »
    you're joking surely?

Something like this could cause major crowd trouble

then what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't agree with racist chanting but I don't think that walking off is the right move either. I think people have to stick it out and use it as a motivational factor to play better. They should ignore these people completely as any reaction makes the perpetrator feel like they've won. These guys are idiots but they will be bragging to their friends about how they stopped a football game.

so control crowd trouble by allowing racism to that extent. The only option cannot be for him to not take part because he's getting abused by the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You couldn't be more out of touch could you?

It's not a 'hissy fit'. If you were being racially abused you have every right to react how KPB did.

It's you and your ilk passing racism off as a mere 'hissy fits' are keeping this game in the stone ages. Bravo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't agree with racist chanting but I don't think that walking off is the right move either. I think people have to stick it out and use it as a motivational factor to play better. They should ignore these people completely as any reaction makes the perpetrator feel like they've won. These guys are idiots but they will not be bragging to their friends about how they stopped a football game.

I'll disagree on the basis I hope people arent that pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,115 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Something like this could cause major crowd trouble

then what?
    I don't agree with racist chanting but I don't think that walking off is the right move either. I think people have to stick it out and use it as a motivational factor to play better. They should ignore these people completely as any reaction makes the perpetrator feel like they've won. These guys are idiots but they will not be bragging to their friends about how they stopped a football game.

ridiculous, its up to the home fans to control their own levels of scum. They arent fit to be played in front of. and the fact that it was a friendly makes it worse.

cant believe you think its acceptable to sub yourself off and make it okay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Absolutely the correct decision. Fair play and well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't agree with racist chanting but I don't think that walking off is the right move either. I think people have to stick it out and use it as a motivational factor to play better. They should ignore these people completely as any reaction makes the perpetrator feel like they've won. These guys are idiots but they will be bragging to their friends about how they stopped a football game.

Or else the rest of the non racist fans will give them stick for ****ing up the game for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

It might force UEFA/FIFA to do something about the problem if teams walk off.

The only problem is though, that they will prob fine a club walking off more than the racists

It might force UEFA/FIFA to do something about the problem if teams walk off.

The only problem is though, that they will prob fine a club walking off more than the racists

If racism is found out on the terraces then games should be played without the fans present. Very simple.

Fining does nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Oh cop the f*uck on.

listermint wrote: »
    ridiculous, its up to the home fans to control their own levels of scum. They arent fit to be played in front of. and the fact that it was a friendly makes it worse.

cant believe you think its acceptable to sub yourself off and make it okay....
    I don't think he should sub himself off. I think he should learn to be above it. The way to do that is to use it as a motivational tool to play even better. You will see other idiots doing the same thing now that a game has been stopped over it.

I firmly believe that the way to stamp out racial chants and slurs is to completely ignore it and dismiss it as something that people who lack intelligence lower themselves to.

Any and all publicity for those idiots is a bad thing imo as it will only attract more of the same fools.

I don't think he should sub himself off. I think he should learn to be above it. The way to do that is to use it as a motivational tool to play even better. You will see other idiots doing the same thing now that a game has been stopped over it.

I firmly believe that the way to stamp out racial chants and slurs is to completely ignore it and dismiss it as something that people who lack intelligence lower themselves to.

Any and all publicity for those idiots is a bad thing imo as it will only attract more of the same fools.

Life doesnt work like that im afraid.

Close up the terraces. Then have their own fans police this sort of behaviour. See how long it lasts then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Fair play to Boateng, that was the right decision in unfortunate circumstances. Nobody should have to play in front of sustained racist abuse. If there was any cheer to be had here then it was the rest of the crowd (apparently) turning on the racists
    eagle eye wrote:
    I firmly believe that the way to stamp out racial chants and slurs is to completely ignore it and dismiss it as something that people who lack intelligence lower themselves to
    So the best way to tackle racism is to establish an environment in which it's tolerated? No, just no. That's unbelievable moral cowardice: asking players to ignore racial slurs and taunts just because you don't feel they're worth responding to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

You've obviously never been racially abused if you deem it so easy to just shrug off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

listermint wrote: »
    If racism is found out on the terraces then games should be played without the fans present. Very simple.

Fining does nothing.

I agree with that, Im just stating what I think UEFA & FIFA will actually do rather than what they should be doing

He should have stayed on the pitch cause its only playing into the hands of the scum by walking off. beat the opposition and hoepfully the club/fans get banned for a couple games. maybe behind closed doors etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Right, everyone's entitled to an opinion on the matter and by the looks of things most people have missed Leiva's obvious joke regarding Balotelli.

ffs KPB isnt even Italian :rolleyes:

Nobody is condoning Racism but ye're all allowed have an opinion on what KBP should have or have not done.

Now lets keep it on topic, please.

Reekwind wrote: »

So the best way to tackle racism is to establish an environment in which it's tolerated? No, just no. That's unbelievable moral cowardice: asking players to ignore racial slurs and taunts just because you don't feel they're worth responding to
    I always look long term at these things. I don't believe that moral outrage will get rid of it because younger people like to rebel.

I firmly believe that teaching people that its something that only dysfunctional, less intelligent people lower themselves to is the way to stamp it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If a player feels like the best thing to do is walk off when the racism is so blatant he should IMO.

UEFA/FIFA have to be a lot tougher on nations that have in the past shown to be racist but the fines and punishments they hand out are nothing but tiny slaps on the wrist to national FA's.

Totally irridacting racism from the game will be near impossible as they're will always be sections or minorities that house idiots and thugs that will look to cause trouble.

Supporter bans and heavy fines and possible points sanctions should be recommended if it continues to happen at national or international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I always look long term at these things. I don't believe that moral outrage will get rid of it because younger people like to rebel
    The long-term picture is that racist gestures/chanting are increasingly deemed unacceptable in football grounds because people have stood up and declared it so, not by appeasing the racists. The assumption that KPB should have let this abuse wash over him would not be out of place in 1970s England. That attitude didn't go away (if not far enough) because of some silent disapproval but due to legislation, fines, better stewarding, CCTV, increasing awareness, etc, etc. It's in countries where these anti-racism measures were not effectively deployed (such as Spain) that mass racist chants still marr the stands

The only way to make racism unacceptable is to declare it unacceptable and act to enforce this. I dispute the notion that this suddenly makes the next generation more likely to hurl racial abuse at players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Racism is not something a player "should rise above". It shouldn't be part of the game AT ALL. I fully agree with KPB doing what he did. No player should have to put up with this **** from other players, staff, or fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think the real issue here is why he feels the need to wear a sports bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He was right to walk off. FIFA/UEFA should be ashamed for their pussy footing around the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Right thing was done. More should follow if same situation arises.

Something has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

My only regret on this situation would be that KPB and Milan didnt walk of in a more high profile match UEFa as its a friendly will do there best to sweep this quietly under the carpet.

If it happened in a more high profile game it might finally once and for all force them to act beyond the usual paltry fines they hand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Fair play to him, agree that this needs to happen in high profile games as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Were they Milan fans or Pro Patria fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Have to applaud the guy (ex-Spurs as well!), a real Rosa Parks moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I firmly believe that the way to stamp out racial chants and slurs is to completely ignore it
    Jesus wept.

Yes because ignorance is a perfectly valid response and has been for oh, a few hundred years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

on the first part. Wow. i really dont know what you can say to that.

on the second part. Well it hasnt worked so far, ignoring it like uefa has. So perhaps its time for something to be done.

event wrote: »
    on the first part. Wow. i really dont know what you can say to that.

on the second part. Well it hasnt worked so far, ignoring it like uefa has. So perhaps its time for something to be done.
    I'd love to see a player that has been racially abused during a game get interviewed afterwards say something like 'Its sad to see people like this who are less intelligent than the average person, I actually pity them.'

There are studies which have shown that younger people with lower IQs are more likely to be racist. They just find it difficult to deal with society and as long as there is a reaction to it they get their satisfaction and feel smarter because they were able to emotionally upset somebody else.

The incident in Limerick with the banana where Gael Clichy tweeted
    How sad to see "bananas thrown on the pitch" tonight... Knowing people around the world need food. #nowordsforthis

Thats putting yourself on a higher plain than the fool who did that. Gael Clichy won with his intelligent comment imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'd love to see a player that has been racially abused during a game get interviewed afterwards say something like 'Its sad to see people like this who are less intelligent than the average person, I actually pity them.'

There are studies which have shown that younger people with lower IQs are more likely to be racist. They just find it difficult to deal with society and as long as there is a reaction to it they get their satisfaction and feel smarter because they were able to emotionally upset somebody else.

Are you actually trying to imply that racists are less intelligent than non-racists? And then your 'proof' is that people with low IQs are more likely to be racist, which is irrelevant. You should be 'proving' that people who are racists have low IQs.

If a player actually said the bolded part it wouldn't solve anything bar make that player look like a massive twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I applaud them for walking off. It's time these racists realised they don't have the right to strip a man of his dignity as part of their tribal machismo.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

KPB has done more to highlight racism in 5 minutes than UFEA has done in 10 years. a chitty 65000 fine for the serbian FA??? WTF?
    I can understand the people talking about crowd violence here, but he had to do it IMO. asking to be subbed would not gain the worldwide response it has gotten. who in the world has the right to jeer anyone over the colour of their skin, 100% justified here.
    If Platini the useless coward was brave enough to do his job, incidents like these would not happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lucky Van Persie wasn't in the crowd he could have killed him.

I'm here all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    Lucky Van Persie wasn't in the crowd he could have killed him.

I'm here all week.

You colour blind?;)

Highlights the issue for sure and fair fcuks to him for doing it.

I wonder if someone walked off for being called a paedophile/gay slurs/rapist whatever would it have the same support?

Where is the line is probably what I'm asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Savman wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Yes because ignorance is a perfectly valid response and has been for oh, a few hundred years now.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with 'sticking it out' and playing on until the end, and FIFA doing something about it after is it doesn't affect the flow of football, a game gets played and there's some minor fine afterwards, with the incident forgotten after about 2 days, we've seen it all before many times. None of the authorities will lose sleep over it

If a game is stopped for a player walking off, then it will make much bigger news, and FIFA will almost certainly have to take action against it, they wouldn't want their beloved image tarnished any more than it already is.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I say fair play to him, doesn't have to take that sort of abuse.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

He was completely correct to walk off and fair play to him. Nobody should be expected to suffer racisim in their workplace - professional sports is no different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement