Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan players walk off because of Racist Chanting

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Liverpool fan.

Stop. Now.
    Corholio wrote: »
    If a game is stopped for a player walking off, then it will make much bigger news, and FIFA will almost certainly have to take action against it, they wouldn't want their beloved image tarnished any more than it already is.

It's a friendly during a winter break, it'll be forgotten about by a significant number very quickly as the competitive fixtures restart. Even talk of it as a precedent...Eto'o threatened to walk off at la Romareda several years ago which is often forgotten about and that was a competitive fixture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

AC Milan star Kevin-Prince Boateng has vowed to walk off the pitch again if he suffers more racist abuse no matter what the significance of the match.

Boateng was subjected to racist taunts by Pro Patria fans during a friendly on Thursday and the German-born Ghanaian forward responded by storming off the pitch in protest followed by his Milan team-mates.

The 25-year-old has been backed by Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi and he is adamant the racists must not be allowed to win.

Boateng's zero tolerance policy means the former Tottenham player is even willing to leave the pitch in a big Champions League or Serie A match if it helps draw attention to racist abuse.

"I don't care what game it is -- a friendly, Serie A or Champions League match, I'd walk off the pitch again and I think everyone would support me," Boateng told CNN.

"I saw massive support from England and massive players like Rio Ferdinand and Patrick Vieira, and I want to say thank you. I'm sad and angry that I'm the one that has to take action."

Boateng had complained to the referee three times about the abuse in the Pro Patria match and he finally reacted when no action was taken by the officials and the taunts continued.

"I said to him if it happens again I'm not going to play any more. The referee said 'don't worry' but I said I do worry, it's not very nice," he said.

"I was angry and I was sad, but it all came together and I said I didn't want to play any more. There were so many negative emotions that came up in me.

"I'm surprised we're still hearing these things in 2013. It's not the first time in my life I've had to hear or see things like this but I'm 25 and don't want to take this any more."

Berlusconi has claimed his players will always walk off the pitch in future in protest at racist abuse.

That could put Milan at loggerheads with FIFA and UEFA, who have previously warned against players taking such action and some, including former Milan players Gennaro Gattuso and Clarence Seedorf, questioned Boateng's approach.

But Boateng said FIFA, the sport's governing body, should do more to stamp out racism and also hit back at his critics.

"So many people in FIFA can do something and they should wake up and do it. They should not tolerate it," Boateng said.

"They should ban people forever from the stadiums. That's the first thing you can do.

"I think if someone wasn't there they can't say there were no racist people there.

"It was nothing to do with football or any rivalry, it was a racist act and that's why I acted like that."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fair play to him. It's a big pledge to make. I hope this makes the authorities actually start doing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Feel sorry for the ref that books him and possibly sends him off if he does it in a league match.

Fairly sure next set of fans he plays against will abuse him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20926787
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter says that players should not leave the field of play if they are faced with racism.
    AC Milan players walked off during a friendly on Thursday after Ghana international Kevin-Prince Boateng was subjected to racist abuse from fans of fellow Italian side Pro Patria.
    But Fifa president Sepp Blatter said: "Walk off? That's not the solution."
    AC Milan's players carried anti-racism messages on their shirts prior to Sunday's match against Siena.
    Blatter continued: "I don't think you can run away, because eventually you can run away if you lose a match."
    "This is a very touchy subject, but there is zero tolerance of racism in the stadium," Blatter was reported to have said in the Abu Dhabi-based publication The National.

Once again Blatter does himself proud. 15 years now at the top of the game, and as each year goes by it seems less and less likely that we'll get rid of this ancient dinosaur of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The weak Blatter lets out a constant stream of piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he has a point there though. It could start to become a thing thats used when a team is losing a game. There are players that would do that. Never thought of it until I read that quote but its a real possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Blatter tries to deflect the issue as usual...

efb wrote: »
    Blatter tries to deflect the issue as usual...

Yep, and with the bonus of describing what Boateng did as "running away" as opposed to what he actually did. What a contemptible human being Blatter is.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he has a point there though. It could start to become a thing thats used when a team is losing a game. There are players that would do that. Never thought of it until I read that quote but its a real possibility.

The footballing authorities and police monitor the chanting so it would be obvious if somebody tried to do a walk off when they weren't being racially abused. Those players could be punished.

There might be debate in some particular incidents, like with Adebayor and the song about his family. But those would be rare cases and they could be discussed. It's not perfect but it would be a million times better than your suggestion of just allowing racist chants and abuse in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

While he puts it in a horrible way, he has a very valid point. If people start to walk off, it gets very hard to police.

What happens when a team walks off? What happens if no racism is reported by an independent part? Are the alleged offending team punished for what could be 20 fans in a stadium of 50,000? Is all racism equal? what happens if a player chooses to play on instead of walk off...when someone else might walk off and gain an advantage from it?

I think FIFA's stance is correct. It's a police matter, clubs should be footing the bill for greater crowd control if problems are in place.

And again, whats to say abusing someones family isnt just as bad. Where can the line be drawn, surely FIFA cant say you can walk off because of racism but not X, Y, and Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ebbs wrote: »
    While he puts it in a horrible way, he has a very valid point. If people start to walk off, it gets very hard to police.

What happens when a team walks off? What happens if no racism is reported by an independent part? Are the alleged offending team punished for what could be 20 fans in a stadium of 50,000? Is all racism equal? what happens if a player chooses to play on instead of walk off...when someone else might walk off and gain an advantage from it?

I think FIFA's stance is correct. It's a police matter, clubs should be footing the bill for greater crowd control if problems are in place.

And again, whats to say abusing someones family isnt just as bad. Where can the line be drawn, surely FIFA cant say you can walk off because of racism but not X, Y, and Z.
    This is all manageable without players/teams feeling the need to walk off the pitch, if FIFA/UEFA get their act together and deal with the racism issue appropriately.

But when Fifa, UEFA and certain national authorities don't do nearly enough to fix the problem then the players are doing the right thing by walking off. It would be great if all teams started doing this. The authorities would get the racists banned pretty quick then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

CSF wrote: »
    This is all manageable without players/teams feeling the need to walk off the pitch, if FIFA/UEFA get their act together and deal with the racism issue appropriately.

Which is what Blatter is alluding to. It wont be fixed over night and walking off wont help.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    But when Fifa, UEFA and certain national authorities don't do nearly enough to fix the problem then the players are doing the right thing by walking off. It would be great if all teams started doing this. The authorities would get the racists banned pretty quick then.

What happens if fans slagged a dead family member, chants about players children, etc, do they have the right to walk off too?

Its a dangerous precedent to set, allowing teams to walk off. Also how many people need to be chanting to allow them to walk off? Ive been in huge stadiums and you often hear a player shout something on the pitch, Surely they could hear just one person shouting from time to time?

Theres also the huge danger of the safety of the people within the ground. Tensions would be high within the ground if the teams walked off. People are also saying it would encourage people to police their own, well that doesnt always happen with calm words.

What happens if fans slagged a dead family member, chants about players children, etc, do they have the right to walk off too?

That's disgusting too, but it is not a society defining problem like racism.
    Its a dangerous precedent to set, allowing teams to walk off. Also how many people need to be chanting to allow them to walk off? Ive been in huge stadiums and you often hear a player shout something on the pitch, Surely they could hear just one person shouting from time to time?

I don't have an answer for this. But the fact is FIFA, UEFA and many national associations are doing fúck all about racism. Nobody should have to put up with that shít. The players making a stand and walking off is a good thing.
    Theres also the huge danger of the safety of the people within the ground. Tensions would be high within the ground if the teams walked off. People are also saying it would encourage people to police their own, well that doesnt always happen with calm words.

Thugs should not be allowed to rule the grounds. If there is too much of a threat of violence then call off all big games in the country until adequate policing is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I can't believe in 2013 racism in football is still hugely prevalent.

Nobody should look at skin colour..

Cut yourself see all blood is red!!! We are all brothers...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Interesting point.

Say the away teams walk off 2-0 down in any local derby or intense rivals.

Olympiakos v Panathinaikos, Wisla v Cracovia, Roma v Lazio, Boca v River Plate, PSG v Marseille, Partizan v Red Star, Fenerbahce v Galatasaray, Ajax v Feyenoord (if away fans were ever allowed) etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It should be down to the referee to bring the players off if he deems it appropriate. The players shouldn't the power to do it. Things would get messy if it was left in their hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Except for tipperary people, they are a different breed.

dfx- wrote: »
    Interesting point.

Say the away teams walk off 2-0 down in any local derby or intense rivals.

Olympiakos v Panathinaikos, Wisla v Cracovia, Roma v Lazio, Boca v River Plate, PSG v Marseille, Partizan v Red Star, Fenerbahce v Galatasaray etc. etc.

Dundalk vs drogheda hai lol

monkey9 wrote: »
    It should be down to the referee to bring the players off if he deems it appropriate. The players shouldn't the power to do it. Things would get messy if it was left in their hands!

How often do referees call off games because of racial chants?

Edit: I do agree with you that it would be best if the refs handled these situations properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Edit: I do agree with you that it would be best if the refs handled these situations properly.

I think his point is they should be give the power to do it.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think his point is they should be give the power to do it.

Ah yeah I would completely agree with that.

Any player has right to walk away from racism. Guys ainthere to be called monkey or have **** like bananas thrown at them..

I personally think victims of racism are too calm in general if it was me I would be climbing up into the stand..

Always had a dream I was cantona!! Kick some dude after a run up lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah it doesn't happen. In fact, how often do players do it.

But referees are the ones who have the power in games. Nothing would change by giving them this option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Am I missing something)? Is that meant to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Football is the perfect medium for racists to target their victims for abuse, this is just another example of why Sepp Blatter needs to consider his position. How can you fix racism in football if the president of FIFA is of this opinion?

Given the importance of football in the world I'm surprised political leaders havent gotten involved and called for his head. Its just another episode in a string of evidence on why this man is not the right person in his seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Absolutely but the players need to keep walking off till FIFA get their acts together and tell the refs to do it.

Advertisement