Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend a mechanic in the midlands...

• 03-01-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, can someone recommend a good mechanic in the midlands for general service stuff, tyres, parts etc...
    I used to go to DogBox in Kinnegad but i dont think theyre open any more. Somewhere decent in the Westmeath/Offaly area would be ideal.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Two of the mechanics who worked in Dogsbox started up their own workshop in Leixlip, Co Kildare (cleverly called Mutts Nuts!) - don't know if that's too far for you?

They've got a fb page (search for Mutts Nuts Motorcycles)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

steve22 wrote: »
    Hi, can someone recommend a good mechanic in the midlands for general service stuff, tyres, parts etc...
    I used to go to DogBox in Kinnegad but i dont think theyre open any more. Somewhere decent in the Westmeath/Offaly area would be ideal.
    Thanks.

you try ccs unlimited in kells co meath 0469241743:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

gipi wrote: »
    Two of the mechanics who worked in Dogsbox started up their own workshop in Leixlip, Co Kildare (cleverly called Mutts Nuts!) - don't know if that's too far for you?

They've got a fb page (search for Mutts Nuts Motorcycles)
    you try ccs unlimited in kells co meath 0469241743:D

Thanks for the info guys - looks like a day trip is in order either way! A little distance is worth it if its a good shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ya could also try out andys bikes.
    He is in Kildare. Ive always used him and find his work and prices good.

http://www.andysbikesnbits.ie/

goodlad wrote: »
    Ya could also try out andys bikes.
    He is in Kildare. Ive always used him and find his work and prices good.

http://www.andysbikesnbits.ie/

thanks,
    Although now i have too many to choose from... flipping a coin will no longer be the decision maker.
    I'll have to check out their websites properly later when i'm not in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

haha. Sure a good few choices cant be a bad thing anyways.

Sure i'd say give em all a call and get ideas on prices n all.

yeah thats what I'll do alright. Price everything and take it from there. Like you said though, its better to have a few different options than none at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why not do it yourself if its just a small general service? Do you have any other mates into bikes that could help. When I was starting out I was shown by a fella biker how to do a small service and it stuck me good till today.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Why not do it yourself if its just a small general service? Do you have any other mates into bikes that could help. When I was starting out I was shown by a fella biker how to do a small service and it stuck me good till today.

Its one of those things i really should learn how to do. I'm sure its not overly difficult but do i trust myself?? .... probably not! I suppose if i managed it once i'd be able to do it regularly but i wouldnt be the best for troubleshooting other problems. Are there any particular tools required to change oil, filters and plugs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Its one of those things i really should learn how to do. I'm sure its not overly difficult but do i trust myself?? .... probably not! I suppose if i managed it once i'd be able to do it regularly but i wouldnt be the best for troubleshooting other problems. Are there any particular tools required to change oil, filters and plugs?

The tool kit supplied with your bike should have all the tools you require fo a simple service,(plug socket,10/12 mil spanners etc)
    you might need a oil filter strap or vice grips but should be simple enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I would have been in the same boat starting out so there is no shame in admitting it, I would have not serviced my FZ6 either for the very 1st time thats why I asked around.

Its handy to have someone around to help just in case you leave a sump plug off and re fill the oil....LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Thanks.

Yeah, Derek is long gone. The lads have a new place as already mentioned. (Mutt's Nuts) What about Chopper, he's only a kick in the arse from Kinnegad. Regardless of people's opinions of him from Biker, he's a different person in real life and a good spanner man to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Yeah, Derek is long gone. The lads have a new place as already mentioned. (Mutt's Nuts) What about Chopper, he's only a kick in the arse from Kinnegad. Regardless of people's opinions of him from Biker, he's a different person in real life and a good spanner man to boot.

I'd suggest anto (chopper) too.... lookup poleon motorcycles or whatever he's called now..he's a helpful lad too.
    I wasn't aware there was nonsense about him on a certain bicker forum-thats a lack of respect for a lad who's been a mod there since the days when it was worth looking in on.now its just too many people giving out about their neighbours.

what bike is it? I hope you don't have to spend half the day taking off fairings ha!

The tool kit supplied with your bike should have all the tools you require fo a simple service,(plug socket,10/12 mil spanners etc)
    you might need a oil filter strap or vice grips but should be simple enough

so basic enough stuff, thats not too bad. thanks for that.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well I would have been in the same boat starting out so there is no shame in admitting it, I would have not serviced my FZ6 either for the very 1st time thats why I asked around.

Its handy to have someone around to help just in case you leave a sump plug off and re fill the oil....LMFAO

Ha! thats the worry alright, you'd be a long time re-filling then!! suppose we all have to start somewhere though!!
    steveone wrote: »
    I'd suggest anto (chopper) too.... lookup poleon motorcycles or whatever he's called now..he's a helpful lad too.
    I wasn't aware there was nonsense about him on a certain bicker forum-thats a lack of respect for a lad who's been a mod there since the days when it was worth looking in on.now its just too many people giving out about their neighbours.

what bike is it? I hope you don't have to spend half the day taking off fairings ha!

Two votes for Chopper so... might be worth a go. I've heard of his place before but never made the trip. do you think he'd be willing to show me a few things too because i'd really like to learn the basics myself!
    Its an old fireblade so plenty of plastic to remove!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Two votes for Chopper so... might be worth a go. I've heard of his place before but never made the trip. do you think he'd be willing to show me a few things too because i'd really like to learn the basics myself!

Yeah, Anto is sound. He might let ya look in, depends how busy he is I suppose.

Yeah, Anto is sound. He might let ya look in, depends how busy he is I suppose.

Only one way to find out. Thanks for that.

Its an old fireblade so plenty of plastic to remove!![/QUOTE]

and it was just then that steveone remembered why he liked harleys.......:D

QUOTE]and it was just then that steveone remembered why he liked harleys.......:D[/QUOTE]

I'd almost agree with you........almost!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

steveone wrote: »

and it was just then that steveone remembered why he liked harleys.......:D[/QUOTE]

I'd have the plastics removed from a blade much quicker than I could polish all that lovely harley chrome. Although I don't know if the latter is work or therapy.

I'd have the plastics removed from a blade much quicker than I could polish all that lovely harley chrome. Although I don't know if the latter is work or therapy.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a proposal for a challenge … although it may be slightly more than the bottom/middle fairing that needs to come of this bike!!

• Advertisement

and it was just then that steveone remembered why he liked harleys.......:D

I'd have the plastics removed from a blade much quicker than I could polish all that lovely harley chrome. Although I don't know if the latter is work or therapy.[/QUOTE]

hah I wont be taking the bait there:D mines proper..lowered, smelly...homepainted..loud as the horns of jericho.

basic..not rusty but it is ....used looking....:D as for the lovely harley chrome? 'that ****'s mostly plastic..peels in an act..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

hah I wont be taking the bait there:D mines proper..lowered, smelly...homepainted..loud as the horns of jericho.

basic..not rusty but it is ....used looking....:D as for the lovely harley chrome? 'that ****'s mostly plastic..peels in an act..[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, I'd say it takes you an hour just to do the push rod covers with a can of pledge in one hand and your GF's nickers in the other.

Advertisement