Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installed a Loobman (chain oiler)

• 03-01-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I installed this chain oiler yesterday. But I have a slight problem. The oil is collecting in some parts of the tubes.

Should I move the oil bottle down towards where the oil comes out, so that the tube is much shorter?

Made a video of it.

Skip to 1:33 for the stuck oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Looks like there is an air bubble in the tube.

I remember on my bandit i had a scotoiler which needed a vacuum on the tube to stop that kinda thing happening. There was some type of valve on the tube i had.

No idea how it worked tbh but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I can see why you put it were you did. However I feel it would work much better if you located it under you seat/around the rear suspension. It will work best if the run from the bottle to the chain is vertical. In your video it looks like the tube is very horizontal due to the fact it is mounted at your handle bars for easy access.I think this is your problem.

Yeah i agree with Leppla.
    Looking at the site they say "Foolproof simplicity, push button operation, gravity feed"

You might need it more vertical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Okay so I shortened the pipe and made it a little more verticle. I fitted it to the back of the bike. It's still easy to access and refill. Works just fine now.

This time I added a little bit of ATF (transmission oil) but I added too much. It seems to be fine with just oil in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

been toying with a scottoiler for a while, but i'm gonna order one of these now! thanks for the link!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Okay so I shortened the pipe and made it a little more verticle. I fitted it to the back of the bike. It's still easy to access and refill. Works just fine now.

This time I added a little bit of brakefluid but I added too much. It seems to be fine with just oil in it.

cant see the videos (in work), but did you say brakefluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have a loobman sitting at home for months. Never got round to fitting it. Let me know how you get on with it as I would be very interested. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

leppla wrote: »
    I have a loobman sitting at home for months. Never got round to fitting it. Let me know how you get on with it as I would be very interested. :D
    Glad to hear I ain't the only one...! :D

Wossack wrote: »
    cant see the videos (in work), but did you say brakefluid?

Sorry meant ATF! Well caught. I don't think brake fluid is a lubricant?

Well I cleaned the bike + chain yesterday and adjusted the chain. In two weeks I'm installing a new chain and sockets so it will be interesting to see if it works or extends the lifetime of my chain.

Ill post back at the end of next week letting ya know if the chain is decently lubricated. I'll press it once every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good stuff....anything is better then nothing, and cleaning and lubing the chain constantly is a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

How useful are these as I clean the chain quite a bit and then re-loob?

So may chain loob jokes so little time......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Have one of these fitted for about 2 years or so now.Can't say I have any complaint's about it.
    When I first fitted it,it did air lock for a while,until I re-routed the hose and brought it down a more direct way.
    Not bad for €20 delivered.

They are well worth it TBH, I have the scottoiler but both do the same job. Only thing I hate about SOME of the cheaper options is that you have to turn them on and off manually, I would totally forget about that and **** it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How useful are these as I clean the chain quite a bit and then re-loob?

So may chain loob jokes so little time......:rolleyes:

They basically just offer a more constant level of lube.
    Rather than being well lubed when ypu first do it and the drying out before you do it again.

But even with these chain oilers I thought I would still have to clean the chain every now and then?

I clean it maybe twice a year :o

But even with these chain oilers I thought I would still have to clean the chain every now and then?

Erm i just lash mine out of it with silkolene chain lube every few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ATF is great for cleaning as well as lubing, it has very strong detergent properties and the constant feed keeps the chain clean.

You do still have to clean them alright just not oil them. I clean the chain on mine when I am giving it a service, and keep an eye on it every time I am out have a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How are you getting on with this BW, does it still do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

"loobman" :D

(sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just ordered one. 27 Euro incl del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Can't stand the fookn things...made shoite of the belt on the Harley :mad: :D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How are you getting on with this BW, does it still do the job?

Unfortunately a few weeks after I installed it I was rear ended by a car and hurt my back and damaged the bike. But I would definitely install one again.

I'm doing a lot of mileage right now so my chain is going dry very quickly. The last few months has been bad for weather. I just can't motivate myself to get home, take off my wet gear and go back out into the cold/wet/dark and oil my chain. I would love this loobman back on my bike again.

My loobman arrived today. Ill chance fitting it after work tomorrow.

Ok so I fitted it today & then removed it straight away. IMO it looks untidy. I didnt have confidence in the delivery mechanism ( to end pieces of cable tie ). It could be a good system if your doing high mileage & out in all weathers. A chain clean and oiling once a week does me so its no big deal or hassle. Glad I didnt spend 90 quid on a more expensive brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ok so I fitted it today & then removed it straight away. IMO it looks untidy. I didnt have confidence in the delivery mechanism ( to end pieces of cable tie ). It could be a good system if your doing high mileage & out in all weathers. A chain clean and oiling once a week does me so its no big deal or hassle. Glad I didnt spend 90 quid on a more expensive brand.
    I wouldn't be at all worried about cable tie ends being the delivery, they actually work well as double sided oilers, and being plastic if they get caught or ripped out its no biggie to replace them.
    I have also seen copper wire used as well.
    If you are happy to clean and oil once a week its OK too.
    Tutoro oilers are also available but not sure about pricing.

Tutoro are meant to be very good but iirc you have to turn them on and off manually (unless they changed the design) which would be a big no no for me personally. So remembering to turn them off when you get home or to your destination is a hassle or its a pool of oil when you go back to the bike :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Tutoro are meant to be very good but iirc you have to turn them on and off manually (unless they changed the design) which would be a big no no for me personally. So remembering to turn them off when you get home or to your destination is a hassle or its a pool of oil when you go back to the bike :mad:
    I e just had a look on ebay and tutoro have a new oiler that if fully automatic. Thryre about 80€.

szatan84 wrote: »
    I e just had a look on ebay and tutoro have a new oiler that if fully automatic. Thryre about 80€.

So in the same price range as Scottoiler and the rest now. The other manual one was about €25 they prolly still do that one aswell.

I had the scottoiler and the dual applicator on my FZ6 (oiled both sides of the sprocket instead of one side) it worked really well. But the oilers can be an awful pain in the ass if not installed and setup correctly.

The one only my sprint 1050st cam pre-installed and not a bother with it at all.

• Advertisement

Im not sure if other brands are designed they same way but the loobman is basically a piece of wire coat hanger that you must bend into shape in order to fit it to the sprocket allowing oil delivery. Some sort of screw in or screw out mechanism would be ideal to fit the oiling parts to the 9 O'Clock position on the sprocket. Another pet hate of mine was the instruction sheet that came with it. Alot of it was very faded and unreadable. First impressions and all that lark. I dont want to put people off the loobman because with time and patience it can be installed & work properly but it just wasnt for me.

Advertisement