Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Rita1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm giving everyone about 3 and half years to think about this one.

Going to do this on the year of my 40th. La Mormotte 2016

These are a few links to it:

picture.php?albumid=1998&pictureid=14326

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/epreuve2.php?langue=1&trophee=128

http://www.swissretreat.com/cycling-sportives/la-marmotte

Not for the faint hearted, maybe we could enter an Irish team(just to complete it, not to win).

Come on if you think your hard enough. :D

Did the etape last year which took in the col du glandon, amongst others - this looks like a beast and finishing on the Alp D'huez should be fun! I'll be 45 by then! Maybe one for that milestone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

Did the etape last year which took in the col du glandon, amongst others - this looks like a beast and finishing on the Alp D'huez should be fun! I'll be 45 by then! Maybe one for that milestone

I've started cycling about 18 months ago and done a few 160km here but now abroad......and yes its a breast all-right.

That's why I'm giving myself a few years to get ready for it :)

It would be perfect for your 45th. I'm sure someone on here has done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Marmotte. You'll find a lot more if you search with the correct spelling.

A few of us did it in 2010 and I'm sure there are dozens of posters here who know those climbs well - it's an absolutely savage event in perhaps the most beautiful part of the world I've ever been in. I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Hi all,

I'm giving everyone about 3 and half years to think about this one.

Going to do this on the year of my 40th. La Marmotte 2016

These are a few links to it:

picture.php?albumid=1998&pictureid=14326

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/epreuve2.php?langue=1&trophee=128

http://www.swissretreat.com/cycling-sportives/la-marmotte

Not for the faint hearted, maybe we could enter an Irish team(just to complete it, not to win).

Come on if you think your hard enough. :D

I might have a run at it, worst case i'll drive the support car.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Marmotte. You'll find a lot more if you search with the correct spelling.

A few of us did it in 2010 and I'm sure there are dozens of posters here who know those climbs well - it's an absolutely savage event in perhaps the most beautiful part of the world I've ever been in. I highly recommend it.

Cheers for the heads up on the spelling, when you savage event do you mean SAVAGE !!!!

What kind of time did you do(I just want to complete).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I can't remember the time off the top of my head TBH. Eight hours something maybe? It was just good enough for a "Gold" certificate for my age category in the Grande Trophée - that's a series of events that week including the Marmotte, a couple of other events that are very nearly as hard, the Vaujany and Pris de Rousses and a final TT up the l'Alpe d'Huez the morning after the Marmotte (that was slightly hard). If you're going to go to the alps and you've got the fitness I think it's worth it to do a few events if you can.

When I say savage I mean it in every way. You'll pray for death and thank god you're alive in equal measure as the day progresses.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I can't remember the time off the top of my head TBH. Eight hours something maybe? It was just good enough for a "Gold" certificate for my age category in the Grande Trophée - that's a series of events that week including the Marmotte, a couple of other events that are very nearly as hard, the Vaujany and Pris de Rousses and a final TT up the l'Alpe d'Huez the morning after the Marmotte (that was slightly hard). If you're going to go to the alps and you've got the fitness I think it's worth it to do a few events if you can.

When I say savage I mean it in every way. You'll pray for death and thank god you're alive in equal measure as the day progresses.

Yeah I heard about the TT up the d'Huez, not the best the morning after a few drinks. Your last paragraph really scares me.... But by 2016 I should be ready and that goes for you to talkabout.

Thanks for the posts niceonetom, I may be back on to you regarding training and how you got over there for the event.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Thanks for the posts niceonetom, I may be back on to you regarding training and how you got over there for the event.

Careful. His consulting service ain't cheap.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Careful. His consulting service ain't cheap.

Sure we're all friends on here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Sure we're all friends on here :D

Beasty is more of an acquaintance! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This looks very interesting. Especially if there are other events during that week.

That TT just sounds mental. As it stands now I'm in.

Now to get some of that racing under my belt and improve my climbing (might come in handy there maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Rita1, firstly, fair play for looking to take this challenge on: it's friggin' awesome and when you're sitting in your rocking chair when you're old and grey, it'll make you smile. It's certainly up there with the best things I've ever done.

I'm all about having long and short-term goals, so can understand your 2016 target, but just want to throw another perspective at you: this challenge is as hard as it gets in cycling, but if you forget a time target (think 9:30hrs door-to-door is about gold medal time for 30s), it is doable. That said, out of 8 mates that went last year, with most being decent sportive riders (respectable times for W200, ROK, Etpae Hibernia etc.) but not club riders, only 4 finished. It was 37 degrees the day we did it, and that had a huge effect - one lad got severely disoriented at the top of the Galibier. I'm of the bigger frame myself, was 88Kg when I did it, and found when I went above 2000metres, the heat and altitude had a big effect on me, almost packed it in, but was grand as soon as I descended. Electrolyte tablets are a necessity to avoid dehydration throughout the day.

But the point I was making is that, tough and all as it is, it is achievable. I did the Wicklow 200 in June 2009 after only getting into cycling as part of rehab for major leg surgery I had. I struggled through the W200 but crossing the line set myself the goal of doing the Marmotte route that September. I trained my ass off for 3 months and did it, without needing to stop on any of the 4 climbs. My point is, there's nothing particularly special about my ability, so with the right approach, you may find it a lot more achievable than it seems now. So you might think about doing it this year or next, and then for the 40th, aim for the gold medal time? Just food for thought, cos I can't recommend giving this a shot enough.

I've done it twice now but wouldn't even consider doing it as part of the organised event - the descents are dangerous enough without throwing thousands of continental lunatics into the mix: if even a few Italians descend like they drive, frankly I don't want to be worrying about that as I'm trying to brake from the 90km/h I was hitting into a hairpin. And reports on here and elsewhere suggest the food stops can be mayhem and cause unnecessary delays.

So, self-organised is very much what I'd recommend personally. I flew into Grenoble, home from Lyon. We rented an 8-seater that could hold 4 or 5 bike boxes and it was brilliant - had one lad come with us to do support driver on the day. I wouldn't do it without a support driver - great for food/water and reassurance that if there was an accident we could get someone picked up. We used walkie talkies (with the obligatory call sign banter of course!) to keep in touch as there were 11 of us so we got quite spread out. We stayed in the campsite chalets 'La Piscine' in Bourg D'Oisans and it was grand and cheap. I stayed in the absolutely excellent http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/ first time when it was just my wife and I (she kindly did support car). There are very decent bikes to be rented in a place at the top of Alpe D'Huez, an option if you don't want to lug your bike with you (though I'd want my own bike with me). The emails with the lads have started today about getting it sorted for end of this August -I literally cannot wait!

Anyway, hope that gives you and anyone else considering it some food for thought and here's a couple of my favourite pics to whet the appetite. If you search for my username and Marmotte you should find plenty of info on here - I was clueless when I first thought about it and could not of done it without the incredibly useful info and help I got on here. Let me know if you need details, contact info of anything that's not on those threads and I'll try dig it out.

I'm all about having long and short-term goals, so can understand your 2016 target, but just want to throw another perspective at you: this challenge is as hard as it gets in cycling, but if you forget a time target (think 9:30hrs door-to-door is about gold medal time for 30s), it is doable. That said, out of 8 mates that went last year, with most being decent sportive riders (respectable times for W200, ROK, Etpae Hibernia etc.) but not club riders, only 4 finished. It was 37 degrees the day we did it, and that had a huge effect - one lad got severely disoriented at the top of the Galibier. I'm of the bigger frame myself, was 88Kg when I did it, and found when I went above 2000metres, the heat and altitude had a big effect on me, almost packed it in, but was grand as soon as I descended. Electrolyte tablets are a necessity to avoid dehydration throughout the day.

Hi there, sorry for the delay on replying, this is a very comprehensive account of your experience and for me has giving me extra food for thought with regards La Marmotte. I does scare me a bit when you say 50% of your group didn't finish.
    But the point I was making is that, tough and all as it is, it is achievable. I did the Wicklow 200 in June 2009 after only getting into cycling as part of rehab for major leg surgery I had. I struggled through the W200 but crossing the line set myself the goal of doing the Marmotte route that September. I trained my ass off for 3 months and did it, without needing to stop on any of the 4 climbs. My point is, there's nothing particularly special about my ability, so with the right approach, you may find it a lot more achievable than it seems now. So you might think about doing it this year or next, and then for the 40th, aim for the gold medal time? Just food for thought, cos I can't recommend giving this a shot enough.
    Having said that this paragraph gives me a lot of encouragement and reinforces to me that you cant go over there without a substantial amount of work done months/year in advance(hence 2016 [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif[/IMG]).
    I've done it twice now but wouldn't even consider doing it as part of the organised event - the descents are dangerous enough without throwing thousands of continental lunatics into the mix: if even a few Italians descend like they drive, frankly I don't want to be worrying about that as I'm trying to brake from the 90km/h I was hitting into a hairpin. And reports on here and elsewhere suggest the food stops can be mayhem and cause unnecessary delays.

So, self-organised is very much what I'd recommend personally. I flew into Grenoble, home from Lyon. We rented an 8-seater that could hold 4 or 5 bike boxes and it was brilliant - had one lad come with us to do support driver on the day. I wouldn't do it without a support driver - great for food/water and reassurance that if there was an accident we could get someone picked up. We used walkie talkies (with the obligatory call sign banter of course!) to keep in touch as there were 11 of us so we got quite spread out. We stayed in the campsite chalets 'La Piscine' in Bourg D'Oisans and it was grand and cheap. I stayed in the absolutely excellent http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/ first time when it was just my wife and I (she kindly did support car). There are very decent bikes to be rented in a place at the top of Alpe D'Huez, an option if you don't want to lug your bike with you (though I'd want my own bike with me). The emails with the lads have started today about getting it sorted for end of this August -I literally cannot wait!
    I didn't think of doing it this way put you are making a lot of sense regarding the Italians, hitting hairpins at 90km/h and the food stops, I may be in contact nearer the time to sus out your travel arrangements.
    Anyway, hope that gives you and anyone else considering it some food for thought and here's a couple of my favourite pics to whet the appetite. If you search for my username and Marmotte you should find plenty of info on here - I was clueless when I first thought about it and could not of done it without the incredibly useful info and help I got on here. Let me know if you need details, contact info of anything that's not on those threads and I'll try dig it out.
    I really appreciate you taking the time out to share this information with us dreamers and your pictures are only giving me more drive to do this. Many thanks again. Shane.

Hey, glad it was of some help. Good luck with it all and do shout if you need any more info.
    I does scare me a bit when you say 50% of your group didn't finish.

It's worth pointing out that of the 4 who didn't finish, one was under-prepared so was unlikely to finish; one lost interest when he popped into the chalet in the campsite for water, which is literally at the foot of Alpe D'Huez so was too tempting to sit down - he could have finished, though La Marmotte is the kinda route that'll test your commitment for sure; one was highly disoriented on the Galibier but recovered after a long rest (advantages of having a support car for him to rest up in for a bit and get fluids and energy into him) and actually did remarkably well to make it halfway up the Alpe, so wasn't a million miles off, and I can't remember about the other one. It was confirmed 37 degrees, but in some places, particularly on the Galibier, it felt noticeably hotter so may have been even higher.

So, it's very tough, and the weather can be a factor (it can be extremely cold up at that height also - sometimes both hot and cold in one day), but it is definitely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

That was great advice from Frank....it something I have on my own list for the next 2-3 years. My 2c....have don a bit of cycling on my own in Europe and done the etape 3 years ago. Yeah, descents were a bit crazy on the etape, but not all that bad. BUT the atmosphere and overall experience from doing something like this, as part of an event, amkes it more than worth it. For me at least, I would definately do it as part of an event.

For the etape, I think I overtrained if anything.....8 months of solid prep off a pretty good background. Never felt at any point like I couldnt do it, and am a similar build to Frankgrimes. Duration, 9hrs was not a problem.....the only think I would have done differently is more 20min interval pieces, because hills in Ireland are nowhere long enough to stress you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I disagree, doing the route on the day along with everyone else is a must. Its a fantastic day on the bike and I really enjoyed being part of it. Decending the Galibier with everyone else is a real buzz. Go for it!

Hi folks,

I'm getting very excited reading all your experiences from cycling out foreign, hope to god the weather gets a bit better for me to train up here in Donegal whenever I knuckle down to the hard stuff.

Thanks for all the input folks, now to get a few more victims....sorry cyclists to maybe take the plunge and do this ....It would be a great feeling to complete this, whatever time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When you see this sort of curly road in that short a distance you know you're looking at some serious climbing!
    It was confirmed 37 degrees, but in some places, particularly on the Galibier, it felt noticeably hotter so may have been even higher.
    That 37 degrees would have been in the shade so you could expect it to be a good deal hotter out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Throw my 2c in and say that while the event itself does have it problems due to numbers of riders, it really is what makes the day.

The waiting around at the start lie is eerly quiet,given that you are surrounded by other cyclists. there is a bit of banter but mostly the nervous chatter type.

Once it officially start and everybody starts to inch forward, trying to get onto the pedals but it is moving so slowly. he start is on the town, up through quite a narrow street so funneling all the riders out the start takes a bot of time (nothing crazy or anything) and then you pass the official start and the band are playing and the crowds are cheering. It really set it off nicely. Then get into a group and fly out the main round. i feel its a big like lemmings, everybody flying along to what is certain to be pain and misery!

Having so many others around means that you never feel totally isolated. No matter how bad you feel there is someone else close by going through the same. Yes the food stops can be hectic, particularly at the top of Glandon, but just focus on what you need (water etc) and get moving again. The descent is +25 minutes so plenty of time to recuperate.

While there are of course plenty of nutjobs flying down he descents, just hold your line, focus on being steady and it won't be a problem. Don't weave around and be constantly looking around. Those guys will get past you if they are faster so let them at it.

The climb up Alpe, I really can't imagine having to do this on my own after the previous 160k. There are so many people out on the side of the road, you almost have to keep going to avoid letting them down!! And when you, eventually, make it to Alpe D'Huez itself, there are hundreds of people lined behind he barriers and in the bars cheering you on (even if they are their for their own Dad, brother, team-mate etc everybody is cheered home) You finaly come down toward the roundabout and swing in to the finish with the announcer talking away on the mic and then the crows of other cyclists at the finish line getting their pasta etc. thats what makes the event.

Yes of course you can do it at any time, the roads are open, but I just can't see it being the same. The the sense that you participated in a group event (although al on your own!) and you can look back on all the blogs and photos etc that come out in the few weeks after and know exactly what they are talking about (the heat, the cold etc etc).

Does having that many people of such varying levels of fitness and ability make it dangerous, well I guess it does, but no more dangerous than most sportives you go on. In fact, I would be of the opinion that te majority of the people taking part have done a fair bit of cycling and are focused on making it to the finish line, so are pretty aware of what they are doing and if you take care not to do anything stupid then it shouldn't be a problem.

Seeing as you are planning it as a big B'day, I would definitely do the event itself. As has been said before, it will be the worst day you ever experience on the bike, the climbing is relentless, even the downhills are so long that you hands and neck will hurt. But it is also the best day you will ever have on the bike. And once you do it, well, you can always remember you did it. In my opinion, every cyclist should aim to do this, or similar, at least once.

Well there ya have it Rita01, both perspectives in detail to consider, 'tis wonderfully helpful this boards.ie place! Leroy42's account is actually getting me thinking doing the organised event does sound pretty thrilling for sure.

Looking back, I did it on my own first time as none of my mates were then into cycling. It had an almost spiritual feel to it, one long day of pure isolated suffering. But strangely, I loved it - I had gone through 5 years of pain with both my legs and gone through 4 operations which had horrific recovery experiences and doing La Marmotte route was my big goal to make it all worthwhile. So it was almost like a pilgrimage which I'm sure are great to do, but if there's a better craic option, I'll have some of that! I find it hard not to go fast on the descents as I'm a big guy - for me descending fast (on the straights, braking hard for corners) actually feels safer than descending slowly by braking the whole time as that feels jumpy. So I wanted to avoid having to overtake people the whole time and also wanted to have a clear line of sight in and out of every corner. While people mightn't agree that the descents are dangerous (as with the right technique and approach all descents are manageable), you only have to look at the photos to know it's both the fastest you're ever likely to go on a bike and also the tightest hairpins so you go from extreme speed to sharp turns. I was quite a bit freaked out by the thought of the descents before I went as I knew no one who'd ever done it and bar the great advice received on here, it was a totally unknown world to me. In hindsight, I was being overly cautious, but it is something to consider in trading off against the buzz of the group event.

And getting a gang of mates together to do it was unreal craic - having it be just us on the roads made for more banter than you'd have with your mates with others around (though am sure there's great craic talking to the other riders along the way too); walkie talkies in the ear radioing back and forth to the support car taking the p1ss, ya know yourself.

Anyway, you can see that many of us who have done it are only too happy to talk about it which itself tells you it's well worth doing, so whatever approach you decide to take, enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭086Jazzy

Well Rita / Shane. This is something that I would be really interested in so I suppose I will put my hand up as a potential victim albeit nearly three years away. Like you I'llbe hitting the big 4 0 that year as well and sure what better way to celebrate than having a bit of suffering.

Hi folks,

I'm getting very excited reading all your experiences from cycling out foreign, hope to god the weather gets a bit better for me to train up here in Donegal whenever I knuckle down to the hard stuff.

You have until 2016!! Even Donegal should get good weather before then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Don't over-estimate how difficult events like La Marmotte are. I did the Etape a few years ago that finished on Mont Ventoux. In the months leading up to it I felt as if I was training to climb Everest and was gripped by fear from tales of Tom Simpson dying 2k from the summit to the 'evil' broom wagon that was going to gobble us up but on the day, it was just a long cycle in the sun. I was a bit wiser the following year doing La Marmotte so didn't build it up to be anything that special - just another long day in the saddle to be enjoyed where you get into a rhythm at the bottom of each climb and tap away for the next 1-2 hours. 3 days earlier we rode some 40km race that went up Alpe d'Huez and some other smaller climb that I can't remember the name of now and I absolutely calved on it - pure torture. It all depends how fast you want to do it. Ride at your pace, it's tough but still a pleasure. Ride at your limit, it's torture. Did the Maratona dles Dolomites a couple of years ago and would put it ahead of La Marmotte in terms of scenery, route and organisation. A bit harder to get to unfortunately.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The climb up Alpe, I really can't imagine having to do this on my own after the previous 160k. There are so many people out on the side of the road, you almost have to keep going to avoid letting them down!! And when you, eventually, make it to Alpe D'Huez itself, there are hundreds of people lined behind he barriers and in the bars cheering you on (even if they are their for their own Dad, brother, team-mate etc everybody is cheered home) You finaly come down toward the roundabout and swing in to the finish with the announcer talking away on the mic and then the crows of other cyclists at the finish line getting their pasta etc. thats what makes the event.

Right, if anyone has any thoughts of doing La Marmotte have a read of this quote, can you imagine the scene and the crowd when the last few cyclist arrive at the summit...I say the last few because I will probably be one of them. What a great insight into the day Leroy42.

FrankGrimes, I wouldn't be the best decender at the minute maybe I have to grow a set :) All the storys from the people who attempted this is fantastic myself and all thinking about it.
    086Jazzy: Well Rita / Shane. This is something that I would be really interested in so I suppose I will put my hand up as a potential victim albeit nearly three years away. Like you I'llbe hitting the big 4 0 that year as well and sure what better way to celebrate than having a bit of suffering.

We all love the suffering, good to hear your interested, some great advice so far in here.
    LeoD: Just another long day in the saddle to be enjoyed where you get into a rhythm at the bottom of each climb and tap away for the next 1-2 hours. 3 days earlier we rode some 40km race that went up Alpe d'Huez and some other smaller climb that I can't remember the name of now and I absolutely calved on it - pure torture. It all depends how fast you want to do it. Ride at your pace, it's tough but still a pleasure.

This is the way I'm going to approach it, I'm not going to race it or kill myself doing it, to finish is a result for me(Gold Medal:)). I think get hard work done in training for several months before and we will all be grand.

07Lapierre I can't wait for the sun to hit Donegal before 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

+1 for riding the actual event instead of doing a solo run. Half the fun is suffering along with thousands of others!

I've completed the Marmotte 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time. It is tough though, and requires training.

I have a pretty useful and comprehensive guide that I picked up at some point in the last few years. If anyone wants it, pm me your email address and I'll forward it.

I thought This was a pretty comprehensive guide for anyone thinking of doing the Marmotte.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bmcgill

I'll tentatively stick my hand up for this as well, even though it's 3 years away.. I was considering maybe 2014 or 2015 but I'm the same vintage as yourself and it would be good to mark the milestone with this effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes of course you can do it at any time, the roads are open, but I just can't see it being the same. The the sense that you participated in a group event (although al on your own!) and you can look back on all the blogs and photos etc that come out in the few weeks after and know exactly what they are talking about (the heat, the cold etc etc).

+ 1 On this, doing it as part of the event is the way to go, I've done it twice, and have signed up for my third time this year (hitting the big 50, so I thought I'd prove I could still do it!)

The atmosphere is fantastic, I wouldn't say it was dangerous, just don't get sucked into racing down the descents and you'll be fine.

Things are looking good for 2016, bmcgill is tentatively sticking the hand up for it....guybrush T that's fantastic hitting the big Birthday and it for the 3rd time, hope you have a good one and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Me Again

Given the 2015 Marmotte sold out in under 11 hours, you're going to need to think about some careful planning about how you get into this!

I rode it last year and would thoroughly recommend it. Just make sure you learn to hydrate and eat sufficiently to keep you going for the whole day.

Advertisement