Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great inspiration on this thread. It's a while away yet but I'm wondering if focusing on a finishing time would only intrude on the experience. It'll be my first time atop an alp and who knows if I'll ever be again, so I rather fancy sticking my head up and looking around me, rather than stressing myself out over lost seconds in food and water queues

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Rita1

fat bloke wrote: »
    Great inspiration on this thread. It's a while away yet but I'm wondering if focusing on a finishing time would only intrude on the experience. It'll be my first time atop an alp and who knows if I'll ever be again, so I rather fancy sticking my head up and looking around me, rather than stressing myself out over lost seconds in food and water queues

I for one fat bloke, can safely say that I'll not be checking the seconds/minutes/hours as I go around, completing La Marmotte is a good enough achievement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

fat bloke wrote: »

Don't worry about seeing the scenery. It takes so long to climb up the Galibier and Alpe that you wil have plenty of time to take in the surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

2016 is up next folks...promises to be kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Heyho Rita1, do a search for Marmotte 2015 posted by Jim Stynes (some good stuff on his or her 's approach work to this years event)

Id love to do it, but family & work commitments mean its not possible rigth now but I will do it one day, but until then I will endure every pedal turn vicariously with you and anyone who decides to join your merryband!
    best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

What's the best way to enter La Marmotte? Thinking of doing it next year.

Okay folks,

I started this thread back on the 03-01-2013 and as Nwm2 says:

"Promises have to be kept"

So....I have book today for La Marmotte 2016 :D

I'm going through www.sportactive.net

Nervous and Excited and the same time.......Anyone know where I could find some legs and lungs?????

Old Route returns for 2016....I received an email saying...

"2016 Marmotte, Date confirmed : Sa 2/7/16 .....Back to the original raod with Telegraphe, Galibier and Lautaret."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I have my start number 8455

Seems like I will be way down the back

Entries for the Pyrenees Marmotte have just opened too for end of August

kilns wrote: »
    I have my start number 8455

Seems like I will be way down the back

Entries for the Pyrenees Marmotte have just opened too for end of August

Well, based on that number you will be off in the third wave, depart time 7.50. But you can be anywhere within that wave, there is no numbers based line within the wave. So if you get there early you can be close to the front of that particular wave.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the official route for 2016? I heard that the tunnels on the descent off Galibier are still a problem

So is that there is an alternative road on the descent? Is the general route still Glandon/Telegraph/Galibier/Alpe?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I spoke to my tour operator the other day about it. The Chambon one is still closed alright but there is the temp road (RS1091) that we will use to bypass that one.
    If you check the viaMichelin website you can see the exact point of the closure and where we will swing off to the left.
    So looks to be about 99.9% of the original route ;-)

Here is a video showing the new road that takes you to the opposite side of the lake and then drops you back onto the 'normal' route just after the dam.

As Andy69 says it is almost exactly the old route, save for this diversion, but in terms of distance it makes no difference.

Looks pretty skinny.

https://youtu.be/58B7gHzfcsE

Advertisement