Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portable/external SSD

Options
  • 03-01-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

is it possible to get a portable or external SSD? im not that confident about opening up my laptop and removing or adding parts.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    is it possible to get a portable or external SSD? im not that confident about opening up my laptop and removing or adding parts.

USB would be a serious bottleneck making an SSD useless for it's intended purpose. If you want one for backup then a large USB key would be more economical.
    On the majority of laptops replacing the hard disk is very straightforward, many can be replaced by simply removing 6 screws at most

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

i have a sony vaio laptop. if i was to install a SSD does that mean that i replace my current Harddrive or is there extra space for the SSD that i just unscrew a cover and slot the SSD into place and put the cover back on? is it that simple or am i missing something, sorry i just dont know a huge amount about installing them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    i have a sony vaio laptop. if i was to install a SSD does that mean that i replace my current Harddrive or is there extra space for the SSD that i just unscrew a cover and slot the SSD into place and put the cover back on? is it that simple or am i missing something, sorry i just dont know a huge amount about installing them

SSD drives are low capacity, meaning the max you'll probably be putting in is 128 or 256gb. Laptops will only take one hard drive usually, there are exceptions but generally they would be larger "gaming" laptops. Some laptops have parts you can buy to replace the internal optical drive with a larger capacity mechanical drive. But I think these are mainly for Mac machines.
    There are SSD "Hybrid" drives, which contain a small amount of flash data on the controller along with a standard hard disk, these will offer both a performance boost but also fit in a laptop, see here

Nick

Advertisement