Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling a bit lost.

Options
  • 03-01-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

I am not long out of my time and by the end of the academic year, all going well, I will have an ordinary degree (level 7) in Electrical Services Engineering which is the DT-010 course in DIT.

I feel like I have made the wrong decision in choosing that course to begin with since service engineering is basically dead in the water. The natural progression from that course is the DT-712 Electrical Services and Energy Management (level 8). I'm not sure how much that course would improve my employment opportunities or even whether my finances will sustain me for another year of full-time education.

Has anyone gone down a similar route and have been lucky enough to find employment in this country or abroad?

The future looks grim at best.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The natural progression from that course is the DT-712 Electrical Services and Energy Management (level 8).

It is important to note that although DT-712 is a level 8 it is a BSc (hons) which is far from an equivelent of an Engineers Ireland accredited BEng (hons), which is also a level 8.
    I'm not sure how much that course would improve my employment opportunities or even whether my finances will sustain me for another year of full-time education.

If you were to graduate from DT-021 (see link below) and get yourself a BEng employment prospects are very good, especially if you are also a qualified electrician.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://eleceng.dit.ie/main.php?page=Programme%20Info&programme_code=DT021&prev_page=Undergraduate Programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

a lot of employers will look at your electrical trade along with your honours degree very favourably. they like someone who can do as well as think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

2011 wrote: »
    It is important to note that although DT-712 is a level 8 it is a BSc (hons) which is far from an equivelent of an Engineers Ireland accredited BEng (hons), which is also a level 8.

If you were to graduate from DT-021 (see link below) and get yourself a BEng employment prospects are very good, especially if you are also a qualified electrician.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://eleceng.dit.ie/main.php?page=Programme%20Info&programme_code=DT021&prev_page=Undergraduate Programmes

You're right; after some research over the last couple of days, it seems like DT-021 is definately the way forward. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Talk to the course coordinator about transferring between courses. Moving from a BSc course to a BEng course, Maths might be an issue?. Better be it sorted sooner rather than later.

Advertisement