Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semiconductor physics

Options
  • 03-01-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Can anyone explain what the equation np=Nc^2(e^(-Eg/kT)) signifies. I know np = ni^2. Is Nc^2 here ni^2 (i.e. free charge carriers) or is it the overall number of charge carriers? I assumed that Nc^2 was the total number of charge carriers, so that Nc^2(e^(-Eg/kT))=ni^2, but that is not the case.

Also can anyone explain, if given ni=1.5x10^16m^-3, and electron and hole mobilities are 0.13m^2V^-1s^-2 and 0.05m^2V^-1s^-1 respectively, how to find the conductivity of the doped silicon at 300K, if there is one donor impurity per 10^8 silicon atoms. I looked up the density and found the carrier concentration that way, but there must be some way to do it given the info above!
    Thanks anyone who can help.

Advertisement