Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Three Broadband dongle with Vodafone Huaweii Router/modem

• 03-01-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Will it work? Are they both locked? Can I unlock.

Why?

Well a friend of mine has very poor mobile reception in his living room but better in the hallway. I have an surplus Vodafone HUaweii Router which takes a USB 3G dongle.

So stick the 2 together put it in the hallway and have wifi round the house. Thats why.:P

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yes, I've done exactly this with an O2 3G dongle in the Vodafone router. It works perfectly but you need to be have access to the configuration pages in the router to manually configure it to connect to 3's network - set the 3 APN, username password etc. By default it's configured to connect to Vodafone.

Alternatively you can unlock the dongle for a few euro (search online) and use it with any operator you like. I don't think there is an unlocked firmware fo the Huawei Vodafone router, but you can configure it to do most things with the standard Vodafone one.

Some useful info here, mostly about enabling the VoIP features of the router, but it also mentions updating the firmware on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 emereld

dohouch wrote: »
    Will it work? Are they both locked? Can I unlock.

Why?

Well a friend of mine has very poor mobile reception in his living room but better in the hallway. I have an surplus Vodafone HUaweii Router which takes a USB 3G dongle.

So stick the 2 together put it in the hallway and have wifi round the house. Thats why.:P

Hi dohouch

I was wondering if you managed to sort out the connection, I am currently in the middle of trying this just wondered how you got on.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

@emerald Hi, thread moved over to "Midband Forum" HERE. There is more Dongle fiddling going over there.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Advertisement