Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotting scope

• 03-01-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I've been looking at spotting scopes and whilst I can get a few within my price bracket, €300 - €350, with a 80 -90mm objective and BAK4 optics, is there one within this budget with a reticle???

it for use on the 1000 yard line for F-TR ...

Fish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

http://www.connscameras.ie/spotting-scopes-!158-cat.html?bizpageno=1

I think you'd be lucky to get anything decent within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hollywood rose

Hi fish,
    in my opinion when it comes to any type of optics you get what you pay for. My advice is have a look through a few different type before you buy anything. Cheap scopes very often use optical grade plastic instead of glass, nothing wrong with this but the resolution will never be as good as with coated glass. One of the open guys bought an old kowa 20x scope for €60-80 that knocks the socks of anything costing between €200+, might be an option and save the rest to for another day,
    Also, you will need something to mount the scope on, camera tripods are fine for sitting/standing use, but if you want to use the scope prone you'll need a scope stand designed for shooting, also these are quite expensive for whats in them, small camera generally don't work for prone as they tend to fall over if bumped,

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Thanks for the info guys and gals,

Two I've been looking at are new and both have multicoated Bak4 glass and come in under price

Acuter Pro ST22-67x100mm - €260 including shipping

Barr & Stroud Sahara 20-60x80 - €160 including shipping

I was wondering if there some worth a go with a reticle built in like the Burris XTS-2575 Xtreme Tactical Cassegrain 25-75x70mm, which would allow me some free shooting behind the firing point ;) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

second one down looks good, what sort of power do you need to see the target clearly a 1k ?

http://www.camera.ie/binoculars-scopes/land-scopes?page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

rowa wrote: »
    second one down looks good, what sort of power do you need to see the target clearly a 1k ?

http://www.camera.ie/binoculars-scopes/land-scopes?page=1

I'm not sure what the OP wants it for, but one thing in certain - you won't see bullet holes in the target at 1000yards with anything short of the Hubble telescope.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement