Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring on NEWSTALK NOW!

Options
  • 03-01-2013 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As the ramping thread is Ken Ring free...

www.newstalk.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not for me. Some women on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wrong channel! :p changed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Anyone get the start of the 9 news forecast ? :eek: There was even a red warning triangle about web based long range forecasts. Met Eireann are on the warpath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Duiske wrote: »
    Anyone get the start of the 9 news forecast ? :eek: There was even a red warning triangle about web based long range forecasts. Met Eireann are on the warpath. :D

Yes, very obvious, Evelyn was on a war footing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Did ye spot the new addition to the useful links 2.0 thread???? Now I wonder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Duiske wrote: »

Including "caveat emptor" as if to suggest some people are selling long range forecasts - now I wonder who that could be:rolleyes:

I wonder if Evelyn got stung:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Ring is some spoofer. For example, during that interview on The Right Hook, he claimed that Ireland's wet summer in 2012 was a consequence of a hot summer in central Europe (which he says he predicted) as this caused above average evaporation and the resulting moisture travelled "northwards" and fell on Ireland. Good man Ken, just ignore that bloody huge ocean to our west, or basic European geography!

You can listen to the interview on the Newstalk archive for the next week at http://media.newstalk.ie/archive
    It starts at 54 minutes in Part 2 of The Right Hook for January 3rd. It continues at the start of Part 3 where he throws in the above observation about last summer, apparently off the cuff.

That was his second Newstalk interview in as many days where he was given free reign to peddle his pseudoscientific sales pitch without any significant challenge of his outrageous claims. And his heatwave summer forecast was a news headline item throughout the previous day. The opinion of Met Éireann (you know, the Irish-based, Irish-focused, scientifically trained, professional research and forecasting organisation) was barely mentioned and in a dismissive manner, although the presenter did read out a few texts some time after the interview which universally panned Ring's 'forecast'.

Newstalk and other media outlets which give this type of nonsense a platform without challenging the extraordinary claims (all too typical of modern 'journalism') are doing their audience a huge disservice and in doing so, undermine the public's confidence in and understanding of the scientific forecast methods which, counter to popular opinion, are highly accurate within their self-declared time limits and which are of actual use unlike the kiwi's ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

He took the credit, on Newstalk, for predicting our two very cold winters but he didn't. I don't mind listening to him and he can be interesting but I'm not happy with obviously wrong info.

Just as a reminder of his predictions for the two cold winters, they are covered here.

http://ballyhaunis.blogs.ie/2010/01/09/how-accurate-was-ken-rings-forecast-for-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

xper wrote: »
    . Newstalk and other media outlets which give this type of nonsense a platform without challenging the extraordinary claims (all too typical of modern 'journalism') are doing their audience a huge disservice .

Cork's 96FM have talked up his morning interview with Mr Prendeville and they even mentioned the long hot summer this morning in another programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's pop radio , as long as you know it means nothing ! Ken ring would try and take credit for predicting the last ice age... In fairness he's good at spin ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Of course, he is entitled to his opinion. But, since his is a commercial interest, he should not be given free rein to air his views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Nuala Carey said it was impossible to forecast for the summer, but she would be first out in her bikini on the Montrose lawn sunbathing if the summer he predicts does happen.
    She basically said he would be lucky if he got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Ah Ken, very popular on here. He got on great the last time he was here! :rolleyes: I'd love the chance to tackle him live on air!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I think most of know here on this forum that's Ken Rings's a chancer. But that's because we're all fairly well informed and educated about weather, at least the regular posters, from what I can gather.

The willingness of journalists to bring this guy back on Irish radio again and again makes me deeply distrust other so-called 'experts' on other complex topics but of which I know very little, like economics.

The media (liberal arts graduates mainly and scientifically illiterate) treat weather stories as light entertainment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

octo wrote: »
    I think most of know here on this forum that's Ken Rings's a chancer. But that's because we're all fairly well informed and educated about weather, at least the regular posters, from what I can gather.

The willingness of journalists to bring this guy back on Irish radio again and again makes me deeply distrust other so-called 'experts' on other complex topics but of which I know very little, like economics.

The media (liberal arts graduates mainly and scientifically illiterate) treat weather stories as light entertainment,

Yeah the Daily Express comes to mind with it's headlines.

I think that is why there was that huge backlash when RTE wanted to get rid of the true experts from Met Eireann for non experts to present the weather.
    Nothing against the weather presenters who aren't qualified meteorologists, but there is a lot of respect for the professionals and it is a comfort they are there when the weather is unpredictable, even if they forget to mention the uncertainty after as is the case for the weather later this week.

A lot of other forecasts can be a bit like old Moore's almanac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

octo wrote: »

Tabloid culture, which has infested almost every aspect of the Irish media, is to blame. Tabloidism has no interest in enlightning society about anything, only to mass produce and sell trivial stories about gangstas, celeb boob jobs and overpaid sport 'stars'.

Guess the universal is here;

here for everyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I think we all get the picture at this stage.

Dead end thread
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement