Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold and damp issues

Options
  • 03-01-2013 6:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We rent a ground floor flat that has bad mould and damp issues. Mould grows on walls, paint peels due to damp, one large section of our bedroom wall is actually wet, and we've recently discovered that the carpet in the spare room has mould growing in it that destroyed some of our shoes and spare clothes. We bought a dehumidifier, which helps, and try heating and ventilating the place well. Is there anything we can ask the landlord to do about the issue, or are we just stuck with it?

We both suffer from allergy-like symptoms in the flat, which disappear as soon as we stay somewhere else for a while (like being at home at Christmas). Because of this, I'd rather tackle the issue rather than ignoring it. We're students, so moving isn't the best option at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Faith wrote: »
    one large section of our bedroom wall is actually wet
    What is on the other side of the wall, and/or above the wall? Sounds like there could be a leak elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Contact the landlord asap.

Aside from the obvious need to deal with the issue, you might be required in the lease to notify the landlord promptly of any problems that arise with the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

the_syco wrote: »
    What is on the other side of the wall, and/or above the wall? Sounds like there could be a leak elsewhere.

It's an exterior wall, and the wet patch is on the bottom. The landlord is aware and sent a guy out, who tried something to do with a pipe outside, but it hasn't made any difference. She knows that too, but doesn't seem concerned.

We bought a dehumidifier
    Is it powered or non-powered, and is it passive or active? Also, how long do you leave it on each day, and how much water does it collect per day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

the_syco wrote: »
    Is it powered or non-powered, and is it passive or active? Also, how long do you leave it on each day, and how much water does it collect per day?

Powered, and I'm not sure. What's the difference?

When we first got it, we ran it constantly for about a week. We collected maybe 5 or 6 litres a day. After that, we just ran it for a few hours every few days, or maybe overnight from time to time. It's only a cheap Argos one because we didn't have the budget for anything better, so I'd imagine a more powerful one would do a better job.

We have the Dettol mould spray, and tackle any mould we find as best we can. But it keeps coming back, despite our best efforts - and the landlord admitted that damp has always been a problem in the building. I'm just wondering if there's anything else that can be done, or if we're doing everything already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'd rather tackle the issue rather than ignoring it. We're students, so moving isn't the best option at the moment.

I was in this position before and the end result was I had to move. Landlords dont seem to understand how to deal with damp and when they find out how much it costs to fix it, they tend to avoid having to treat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

This can seriously be bad for your health, If there are plumes of black mould, which can be behind the plaster board, move asp. I think there is a health and safety rules that landlords have to abide too.

I did a fair bit of reading on damp and mould, after years of a water leak in the bathroom, there are quite a number of videos worth watching on youtube. A water leak is the most common cause, which once solved then damaged areas if needed treated, or replaced in case of dry/wetrot black mould depending on damage. Also the sprays are of no use untill the cause of the damp is solved. If there is no damp the mould will disapear.

Basements are prone to ventilation problems, other causes drying clothes inside, extractor fans not working or reclycling the air back into room, shower steam not venting out. Other problems would be structural, which I know nothing about, damp proofing and such.

Heating doesn't solve anything, as mosture in the air still has to go somewhere, condensing on cold surfaces/areas, often in hidden places, best way to remove damp/mosture from a building is leaving windows open with an airflow through the rooms for a few hours a day, & bedroom window slightly open at night.

Powered, and I'm not sure. What's the difference?
    If it's powered, it's probably active.
    We both suffer from allergy-like symptoms in the flat, which disappear as soon as we stay somewhere else for a while (like being at home at Christmas).
    She knows that too, but doesn't seem concerned.
    Of course she doesn't, she doesn't live there, and assumes you'll stay put even if you're place causes you health problems.
    the landlord admitted that damp has always been a problem in the building. I'm just wondering if there's anything else that can be done, or if we're doing everything already.
    So... the landlord knows that the problem exists, it has existed before you came in, I presume she didn't tell you about this?

If you got this house from a list provided by the college, inform the college of your situation, and for them to remove your landlord from future rental listings.

There is not much other options but to more, as mould will really f**k up your health!

Advertisement