Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB new ID policy for making cash withdrawals/cashing cheques

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iriship

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would be also interested if this is now the banks policy it must be in writing somewhere.

I just try to cash cheque at aib had all I needed told "polices change" go away. Told them no i will not go way as its the law the I'm paid. After an hour or more of hassle they told me that I will get written letter to say that they are with in law in 5day. Will update. But if any one can point me to law on it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The core law on cheques is included in the Bills of Exchange Act, 1882. Full text here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/45-46/61. Ignore the annotations: they apply to the UK.

The relevant section is s.73:
    73 Cheque defined.

A cheque is a bill of exchange drawn on a banker payable on demand.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Part, the provisions of this Act applicable to a bill of exchange payable on demand apply to a cheque.
    The very definition of a cheque says that it is payable on demand. So if you resort to the banker on whom it is drawn, you should be paid.

There are a number of "outs" for the bank, such as:
    - the cheque is crossed;
    - there is a defect in the drawing of the cheque;
    - the drawer has died or been declared insane;
    - there are insufficient funds available to the drawer;
    - there is reasonable doubt about the title of the holder presenting the cheque for payment;
    - etc.

But the bank can refuse to cash a cheque only if it has a specific reason relating to the cheque itself - not a reason based in "bank policy". A policy to disregard the law is not defensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FionaWalsh

My post was taken down by boards as I have less than 25 posts. Is there a way for me to have my posts reinstated?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

None of your posts have been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FionaWalsh

Thank you - I got notification that they were!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Turns put you also need picture I'd to cancel a dd in AIB a well.

I canceled all my accounts in may, but received a bill for 30 of charges due to an unpaid dd to another AIB savings account that is now closed. AIB started the dd again and I can't cancel it until I call to the branch. I left work early last week and went in to find out that having 2 bank cards, My statements and being able to quote all my account numbers was not good enough, I need Id too.

I have made a formal complaint as I was not told this over the phone, I was just told to call to the branch and It would be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Informative thread.

So to sum up bank policy means they could not be arsed and has no basis in law.

I soon have to cash a cheque from a credit union at an AIB branch and I will have my passport with me. So a valid cheque with the best form of identification. Looking forward to their answers.

That is not to say I will be haranguing the staff behind the counter as having been in their position dealing with the public I understand the stress.

It is the higher ups in banks I have utter disdain for. Basically thieves in suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    I soon have to cash a cheque from a credit union at an AIB branch and I will have my passport with me. So a valid cheque with the best form of identification. Looking forward to their answers....
    I presume that it is the bank and branch on which the cheque is drawn.

If it's a very large cheque (over €10k) you might get caught up with money-laundering controls: I don't know how they work.

I had all Photo ID needed and check was for €67.23 and there's was the bank and branch of issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I presume that it is the bank and branch on which the cheque is drawn.

If it's a very large cheque (over €10k) you might get caught up with money-laundering controls: I don't know how they work.

Yes and definitely no!

• Advertisement

Did they cash it for you?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did they cash it for you?

No they did not. Would not give letter say why, but will letter out to my address. Will up date soon

It will be interesting to see what's on the letter.

My mother would still give an UN crossed cheque for a gift, seems like they are now uncashable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

wmpdd3 wrote: »

My mother would still give an UN crossed cheque for a gift, seems like they are now uncashable

Thank god for nice friendly shop keepers.:rolleyes:
    Wouldn't a Talk To Forum for AIB be great...?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Why are we all so naively bewildered by the banks when they constantly rip us off and over charge us and reduce their services to us, and charge us for each time they have to force a smile in our direction. Are we hypnotized in some way into thinking that they are our old friends?
    They don't give a **** about us and so they treat us as a commodity, like cattle?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

AIB are still at this..
    I'd love to hear any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Lot of sme customers are now being looked after by dedicated sme trained staff in Naas!!

Advertisement