Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beam Benders & the DOE

• 03-01-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27

Hi folks,

Just recently join the world of campervan-ing...Happy Days! Anyhow, my question here is about beam benders on vans for testing, do they work??
    Had my own van DOE'd, which is a LHD VW T4, so in an attempt to pass the headlight test, I did a tape up job on the wedge on light lens. Unfortunately that was not sufficient for the headlight testing machine!! The tester told me that the tape thing is fine but the test machine is looking for 15 deg cut off, so I asked do the beam benders work, he said no, I'd be better off with replacing headlights. So, anyone experience/advice on this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

See

Q. A left hand drive motor caravan was presented for test with the original headlights fitted. Is it permissible for the beam masks to be used on the headlights?

A. Beam masks are acceptable as per the tester’s manuals i.e. “if a vehicle is presented with left hand drive headlights and beam masks, the masks must be installed to ensure they effectively block any light projection above the 0% horizontal reference line.” The tester’s manuals should be referenced for full details.

On the RSA Website HERE

There are numerous reports of people presenting with the beam benders not fixed and an obliging tester fixing then in the correct position using his/her testing equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Crawn

niloc1951 wrote: »
    See

There are numerous reports of people presenting with the beam benders not fixed and an obliging tester fixing then in the correct position using his/her testing equipment.

In fairness he told me he did try correcting his equipment but what I gathered from him, the machine is looking for the light that illuminates the ditch, so to speak. The RSA speak of beam masks, which I think I've covered with the DIY tape....so is the tester's machine looking for too much from a LHD van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Crawn wrote: »

In fairness he told me he did try correcting his equipment but what I gathered from him, the machine is looking for the light that illuminates the ditch, so to speak. The RSA speak of beam masks, which I think I've covered with the DIY tape....so is the tester's machine looking for too much from a LHD van?

No with tape all you did was mask the area that beams up to the left, I use beam benders in work every week and all campers tested pass. They're easiest to for , properly, using a test machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I got my beam benders in Consort in Dublin. The tester fitted them for me, and they did the job. Here's the one's I bought......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-HG128-00-Super-Benders-Original/dp/B000ZBF6BC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

When I was getting my van done, the DOE guy fitted the beam benders for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I had a fail. Tester showed me where to stick the tape. I went back and passed. Having said that I have put proper beam benders on since. Sounds a bit like te NCT. Depends where you go and who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

I got my beam benders in donagheys and they fitted them. passed the test two years in a row.

Advertisement