Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC, can't get Dual Monitors to work.

Options
  • 03-01-2013 8:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a Dell XPS 8500 which has a Radeon HD 7570 graphics card. It has a DVI and a HDMI output. I have two monitors which both have VGA and DVI outputs. The motherboard itself has a VGA output which comes covered up. I was told if I pop off the cover I can use this for a second monitor.

I went into the Bios and into “Onboard Device Configuration” and enabled “Intel Multi-Display” connected the vga cable, restarted, but it won't work.

Any idea how I make this work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Did you follow this path?
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution

There are drop down arrows you use to set up dual displays?

Sorry if that seems a bit obvious but you didn't say whether you'd done it yet :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have played around with this but its acting strange. So I pressed "Detect" to find the second monitor - and forced it to use VGA for the second monitor. But whatever I choose it gives me this error saying "Display settings could not be saved, please try a different combination of display settings".

display1.PNG

Strange. Any idea why this happens or how to get around it?
    Thanks

Tried ticking "make this my main display" box?
    What happens when you hit identify?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That box is greyed out, and when I click on the main monitor it just comes up "This is currently your main display"

Any other things I can change?

"I just got my XPS 8500 with the Radeon 7570. I used the integrated video card to drive a second monitor using the VGA port. It will probably be able to drive a third monitor when two are driven by the Radeon.

When you first boot the system with a monitor on the integrated VGA port you will get an error. You need to go into BIOS (by hitting F2 when booting) and switch the integrated video card from disabled to enabled. The next time you boot into windows it may complain about the configuration changing and requiring a restart. After restarting it seems to work fine."

From here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Note that you could also buy a HDMI to DVI cable and use the graphics card for the two monitors but the onboard VGA should also work!

Thanks Eoing1 - strangely I did not get any error. The 2nd monitor just has an orange light around the power button so its not getting any signal... I checked and I definitely have enabled it in the bios...

Hmmm

set your monitor to vga (from the settings button on the monitor)

Monitor is in Analogue mode. Pressing the button makes it change between analogue and digital...

Does it work if you just have the onboard vga connected to it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Did you have the latest drivers off their website? Worked for me with the same issue.

I tried restarting with just the onboard vga connected. Nothing. Plugged in the dvi but nothing again, had to restart to get back to normal.

The pc is brand new but I'll try new drivers, fingers crossed...

Ok so I installed the new Radeon drivers, restarted but still the same. The other option on the site (link) says its for the integrated vga but when I run the file it comes up with an error saying "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software".

WTF???

Take the card out, see if it boots to the onboard vga.
    If it doesn't then its the monitor or vga cable I'd be looking at as the culprit.

Reseating the card after, might also make a difference.

Thanks I'll give that a go tonight. Monitors and Cables are fine as they work perfectly in dual setup on my other pc. If I can't get this to work I' might just have to get a better graphics card...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you have the monitors plugged into the onboard graphics? They need to be plugged into the graphics card itself, and you should be using Catalyst Control Center to setup the monitors, not Windows.

[IMG][/img]4oL83l.jpg

Thanks yeah I deffo have the DVI connection on the graphics card itself, and the VGA cable to the one on the PC/motherboard.

I think I was using the windows one, but when I installed the new drivers last night it did install the Catalyst Control Center (I remember this as I had the same on my old pc) so I'll give that a go when I get home and see if it works...

Cheers for your help lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm pretty sure that when you add a grapics card the onboard gets disabled.

i'd reckon your best bet would be to but a hdmi to dvi adapter
    and that should work.

i have dual monitors but on a custom build pc with a gefore 560ti
    and i had to buy the adapter.

it was only a few quid

You shouldn't be using anything on the onboard. I mean you can, but it's not going to play nice with the graphics card, especially when you're trying to get multi-monitors going.

Ok thanks lads. I was hoping to leave the HDMI for connecting up to the tv - I was told by Dell this would be possible, but after looking into it more this is not the case.

Dunworth you are right but I re-enabled it in the bios. There are threads on the dell site saying this works. Just won't work for me.

I think you are right I'll just get a HDMI to DVI Cable and be done with it, I suppose I can just swap the hdmi cable around if I want to output to the tv as well///

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok thanks lads. I was hoping to leave the HDMI for connecting up to the tv - I was told by Dell this would be possible, but after looking into it more this is not the case.

Dunworth you are right but I re-enabled it in the bios. There are threads on the dell site saying this works. Just won't work for me.

I think you are right I'll just get a HDMI to DVI Cable and be done with it, I suppose I can just swap the hdmi cable around if I want to output to the tv as well///

having done a bit of contractor i.t work in dell limerick i can tell you the boys in there will tell you anything to get you off their back

dunworth1 wrote: »
    having done a bit of contractor i.t work in dell limerick i can tell you the boys in there will tell you anything to get you off their back

QFT. If in doubt, assume the Dell tech is lying and/or an idiot. 99 cases out of a hundred this will be correct. A sad generalisation, but unfortunately true.

Advertisement