Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes to getting back to education?

Options
  • 03-01-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I droppped out of school in mid 5th year and now I want to get back to education but Im totally confused about what route to take. I have applied for a fetac level 5 major award course in business administration. If I get that qualification will I be able to apply to universities the same as if I had my leaving cert? I am 21 and Im not keen on waiting around to turn 23 to get into uni.
    If I wait and apply as a mature student will I be required to do an access course?
    Also, could I apply for any degree or only ones marked as "mature student"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Seeing as you don't have the LC, your best chance would be to wait till you are 23. You can apply to college and uni with your FETAC results but I would recommend you try and get as many distinctions as possible as some courses can be very hard to get onto. If you do the level 5 you could also progress onto a level 6 course and this would better prepare you for a degree course. I wish I had done a level 6 course as sometimes I can feel slightly overwhelmed by some of the workload we have.
    You can apply for any level 7 or 8 course, colleges and uni's have to offer a certain amount of places to mature students.
    You won't need to do an access course, your FETAC results will be sufficient to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OP

You should goto your local VEC adult education adviser and talk through all of your options

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

Thanks for the replies :)
    Yea, I was looking at some of the level 6 courses. That might be the way to go.

Advertisement