Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruelty to Horses

Options
  • 03-01-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

After reading this on the carlow people i was disgusted and sickened that any "human being " who owns an animal would allow this to happen.Some of our relations , who live close to where this happened, were here over xmas and were telling me that despite ringing the council and gardai there was no effort by "Authorities" to do anything about it.The dogs on the street know who owns these horses and still nothing done.By the way at the top of the town 2 council emplyees were checking for dog licenses,wonder would they venture over towards where this poor animal was found dead and others in pitiful condition and enquire into ownership of the animals.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

By law, all horses must have passports and be micro-chipped. The chipping can be checked by a hand held scanner run over the horses' withers. No chip=seize horses. No-one claims them within a week=factory them.

Many of the horses in these cases were bred without consideration of their futures and are, to be honest, useless.It is kinder to factory them.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Yes thats true ,,but what about the s??m who own these and are the cause of this problem (among others).Is there no consequence for their actions.I lived close to part of this extended family and i saw first hand how they treat animals (and other humans).I myself rang guards and council to try and do something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the horses aren't chipped-and I'd bet they are not,proving ownership is nigh on impossible. If someone has to pay pound fees to get their horse back, it might also serve to kick some of these sc*m who ill treat animals to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

I did report a case of horse cruely to the ISPCA recently, in fairness, they were around in a day or so and the conditions for the animal were improved by the owner but the horse was then gone within a week, to where, I have no idea.

As for the council doing something, please, this is Carlow you are talking about. their idea of doing something is putting up more signs around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

As for the council doing something, please, this is Carlow you are talking about. their idea of doing something is putting up more roundabouts around the town

I fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

One of the dead horses was used for sulky racing until its owner was put in prison.

I had contacted the gardai about it,tied up and without food,shelter and water down the lane behind raths.

In fairness they came out and said they would try find the owner but despite 3 calls to the ISPCA they never came out and the horse was eventually moved to another spot and abandoned.

Some people really do deserve to be left tied in a field to rot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

update on these horses, i live near where the dead one was found/where they were kept in a local field (illegally probably). the majority of the horses were moved by a couple of friendly men with jeeps and horse trailers and the gardai early this morning. only a few were left behind, 6 i think, as the 'owners' copped on to what they were doing and kicked up a fuss, at least the ones that were saved will live a better life

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I see the few horses left behind are still there, starving. Its heartbreaking.

Does anyone know the people who took the others? Any hope they could take the few left behind? Or where did they go to anyway? (Hopefully not destined for Tesco!)

Advertisement