Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do find find Rangers / Celtic fans different ?

• 03-01-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I'm not an avid follower of Scottish football however Celtic supporters have always struck me as happy go lucky types and supporting Rangers has always struck me as being an angry, sullen and miserable thing.

I've no particular bias and don't support Celtic regardless of their Irish origins, yet Scots whom I've met who follow either mostly seem to fit this stereotype.

For instance after Celtic visited Old Trafford in the CL a senior Greater Manchester Police spokesperson made a comment about the Celtic fans being great ambassadors for their club and their city, you can't fail to get the impression that it was a thinly veiled dig at the antics of Rangers fans in MCR in 2008.

There is a certain disdain for a particular type of demographic who wear Celtic jerseys in the ROI, particularly in Dublin, however yet again this type of person whether you call them yobs or knackers or however you bracket them still seem to be outnumbered compared to their counterparts who'd follow Rangers.

I've no particular anti Rangers agenda either, just trying to see if others have the same impression. I think a good way of putting it is that Celtic fans dislike Rangers and Rangers fans hate Celtic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

<insert MJ eating popcorn pic here>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

dd972 wrote: »
    I think a good way of putting it is that Celtic fans dislike Rangers and Rangers fans hate Celtic.
    Not really. Celtic hated Rangers and will no doubt hate this new incarnation, especially if their fans act in the same manner (which apparently they do).

I'd say this will be a constructive argument!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

<insert MJ eating popcorn pic here>

MJ gif is so last year.

yxBYz.gif

I have to agree with the OP on this though. I have noticed the exact same thing about fans from either team that I have met fitting the stereotypes associated with each club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Not really. Celtic hated Rangers and will no doubt hate this new incarnation, especially if their fans act in the same manner (which apparently they do).

Interesting you say that, it's just seems to be easier to conjure up a mental image of a Rangers fan with their face contorted with rage and the veins popping out of their necks rather than the same image of a Celtic fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dd972 wrote: »
    I'm not an avid follower of Scottish football however Celtic supporters have always struck me as happy go lucky types and supporting Rangers has always struck me as being an angry, sullen and miserable thing.

I've no particular bias and don't support Celtic regardless of their Irish origins, yet Scots whom I've met who follow either mostly seem to fit this stereotype.

For instance after Celtic visited Old Trafford in the CL a senior Greater Manchester Police spokesperson made a comment about the Celtic fans being great ambassadors for their club and their city, you can't fail to get the impression that it was a thinly veiled dig at the antics of Rangers fans in MCR in 2008.

There is a certain disdain for a particular type of demographic who wear Celtic jerseys in the ROI, particularly in Dublin, however yet again this type of person whether you call them yobs or knackers or however you bracket them still seem to be outnumbered compared to their counterparts who'd follow Rangers.

I've no particular anti Rangers agenda either, just trying to see if others have the same impression. I think a good way of putting it is that Celtic fans dislike Rangers and Rangers fans hate Celtic.

So basically knackers in dublin tend to wear rangers jerseys rather than celtic ones???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

That's not quite the point I was making, I think a better way of putting it is that's there's probably a higher quotient of aggressive. anti-social types that would follow Rangers than Celtic, obviously they'd be in Ballymena, Portadown, Belfast or the Greater Glasgow area and not in Dublin.

There seems to be more Serotonin about Celtic followers than Rangers fans, football aside.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I try not to make large sweeping generalisations about football fans, but hey I'm just crazy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Two very deep threads started today by the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

They are both as bad as each other . You will happy get happy go lucky Celtic fans and the same with Rangers too . Both clubs also have bell ends who follow them too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I spent a year in Glasgow and got to know a few Rangers fans as friends of friends and those that I came into contact with were all decent lads. I also played in a couple of Asto leagues wearing an Irish jersey on a regular basis. There was a fair bit of banter from the the lads wearing the Rangers jerseys but to a man (from my recollection) it was all jovial, light-hearted stuff and hands were shook at the end of the game. In addition, I served a placement in Southern General hospital in Govan and a load of patients I saw were Rangers supporters but again my experiences were positive. I've no doubt there are some right gob****e Rangers fans and I heard a fair amount of stories while there (I'm in Edinburgh now) but my genuine experience was positive. I wasn't really conscious or wary about Celtic fans so can't really comment on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Lol

I thought "protestants don't do stained glass Windows" took the biscuit untill now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

getimage.aspx?id=9781406343656-1&size=webuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes Celtic and Rangers fans are different.

Shock, Horror.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Yes Celtic and Rangers fans are different.

Shock, Horror.:)

Only an hour or two before and after and of course during a game;)

The rest of the week I'm not sure you'd be able to tell them apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

They are both sides of the same coin really. One as bad as the other I tell ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Right, having read the OP again and thought about it, I've came to a decsision.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go to my nearest sporting goods outlet and purchase a Celtic top, because it's entirely correct.
    My Rangers supporting friends are far more disgusting hate filled creatures than my firends who support Celtic fans, their faces contorted and the veins popping out of their necks, closeley disguised by the King Billy and Union jack tatoos on them.
    So i'm off to by a celtic top, and burn it, and scream obscenities at old ladies in the street while i do it, i might even piss in one of their shopping trolley things, depending on how angry at the world i can force myself to be.

After all, that's what's expected of us, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

worked offshore on loads of rigs. as you can imagine met loads of celtic and rangers fans but to be honest I seemed to get on better with the rangers fans, the banter was always great and i remain really good friends with quite a few of them. as for the celtic fans i think their nose might have been a little out of joint as i was irish and they all wanted to be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What a fcuking ridiculous thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I thought this thread was going to address the vast number of bellends who update their their FB status' with the likes of "come on Celtic and beat those dirty h*ns", and hopefully he'd have some similarly spectacular spasticated examples of Rangers fans doing the same, but alas, no. This is where I leave, and tbh I'm disappointed I ever entered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement