Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Rathlin be Supported in Rejoining the Republic (if it wishes)?

• 03-01-2013 9:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 11

http://www.channel4.com/news/falkland-islands-should-be-returned-argentina-tells-uk

If say, Rathlin Island, decided tomorrow it wanted to become part of the Republic should we support it in doing so?

The U.K. would seemingly have to agree due to the precedent they are setting in Las Islas Malvinas (Falkland Islands) of 'self determination' I think. Or, is it all diplomatic smoke screening for modern outposts?

Btw, Las Malvinas is not self sufficient as they would have you believe. NHS and teaching staff are flown down from the U.K. to serve the population there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there a movement to join the free state?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

How about the people of any piece of land in the world get to decide their own fate and are not bullied by the opinions and wishes of fanatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

why o why? wrote: »
    http://www.channel4.com/news/falkland-islands-should-be-returned-argentina-tells-uk

If say, Rathlin Island, decided tomorrow it wanted to become part of the Republic should we support it in doing so?

The U.K. would seemingly have to agree due to the precedent they are setting in Las Islas Malvinas (Falkland Islands) of 'self determination' I think. Or, is it all diplomatic smoke screening for modern outposts?

Btw, Las Malvinas is not self sufficient as they would have you believe. NHS and teaching staff are flown down from the U.K. to serve the population there.

??:confused: Is any small island self sufficent? & if residents of Innisboffin wanted to join UK should they be allowed "self determination"???

• Site Banned Posts: 11 why o why?

megafan wrote: »
    ??:confused: Is any small island self sufficent? & if residents of Innisboffin wanted to join UK should they be allowed "self determination"???

Nope but they believe they are self sufficient. Why can't the people of Las Malvinas continue to function under the South American umbrella? They can individually decide to be whoever they want but land so many miles away should not be be considered yours just because you have a majority of 3000 people there.

Scoundrels they are. Bleddin' Brits at it again. When will the fookers be taught? I'd give the Argentine President a looking after for just be a torn in Cameron's side. What a numb skull! Hate the stuffy nose git... Licking arse the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Why refer to them as "Las Malvinas", those islands have never ever been Argentinian, the Argintinians have no claim on them whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I cannot see the Islanders of the Falklands wish to join a country that invade them in living memory causing lost of life in that local community.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 why o why?

Why refer to them as "Las Malvinas", those islands have never ever been Argentinian, the Argintinians have no claim on them whatsoever.
    I would say that they have a massive claim on a piece of land (and even bigger territory when sea is included) when it lies only a few hundred miles off their coast. Either make it independent or give it back. Bleedin' Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nope but they believe they are self sufficient. Why can't the people of Las Malvinas continue to function under the South American umbrella? They can individually decide to be whoever they want but land so many miles away should not be be considered yours just because you have a majority of 3000 people there.

Scoundrels they are. Bleddin' Brits at it again. When will the fookers be taught? I'd give the Argentine President a looking after for just be a torn in Cameron's side. What a numb skull! Hate the stuffy nose git... Licking arse the whole time!
    I would say that they have a massive claim on a piece of land (and even bigger territory when sea is included) when it lies only a few hundred miles off their coast. Either make it independent or give it back. Bleedin' Brits.

Please take a look at the charter on the main page, posts like this aren't really up to the standard required for the forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement