Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every euro count ... great things under €1/€2

• 03-01-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

I got this idea from this great MSE thread ... Mods, please feel free to move/close if not suitable for this forum.

I'd love to know some Irish equivalents for value items in supermarkets ... Though they're 2/3 times the price of similar items in the UK :mad:

I used to buy the Tesco Value Tortilla Chips for €1, but now I see they've been increased to €1.05 since Xmas.
    I'm a big fan of Tesco Value tinned chopped tomatoes for 47c
    Also Tesco/Aldi tinned Kidney Beans 19c - great for making chilli!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭MB05

Fillefatale, If you are a fan of the nacho's you get in the cinema and live near an Odeon my brother and his girlfriend often stop off there and buy the sides in the cinema and the tortilla chips in Tesco. Odeon charge 75c for extra cheese dip, extra salsa or jalapeños. Technically its meant for when people want more sauce but they will sell it to you regardless.

They fill a little tub of whichever one you want for the 75c. Exact same movie experience in the comfort of your own home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tesco Cream Crackers are about €0.26- compare that to over €1 for the brand names. Great with pickle and cheese.... nyom nyom.

If you're a cyclist you really should have lights on your bike. While a good set is ideal, the below will do the job- they are surprisingly bright. I carry some with me for eejits I encounter and who could really benefit from them. With batteries and delivery included no matter how much of a cheapskate you are you can't argue with a price of €1.13:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-2Sling-Bicycle-Bright-Mini-LED-White-Red-Light-Lamp-/120741863592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1cc6a0a8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭phonypony

Also Tesco/Aldi tinned Kidney Beans 19c - great for making chilli!

And only 17c in Lidl with a proper ring-pull top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Water biscuits for eating with cheese etc - Tesco own brand high baked water biscuits 200G €1.25. Carrs water biscuits 125g €2.29.
    And the tesco ones are much much nicer, great crunch to them, bigger surface area. I highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO4-8Mns75FA0NJtMDxs37q1HMYPJKCwX_t5zeIInzvgGqf1Npzw

750ml cartons of Innocent.

€2
    Supervalu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Red-split lentils are like 1.25 in dunnes. 500g

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

Tesco own brand fizzy/ effervescent 1000Mg Vitamin C tablets for €1.09 for 20, versus Rubex at €5.99 for same qty/dosage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Little Ted wrote: »
    Water biscuits for eating with cheese etc - Tesco own brand high baked water biscuits 200G €1.25. Carrs water biscuits 125g €2.29.
    And the tesco ones are much much nicer, great crunch to them, bigger surface area. I highly recommend them.

I'm a big fan of these myself!

I get the tesco branded passata, or from aldi - its no more than 80c, I throw in some own brand balsamic vinegar, herbs from the garden and some butter, season and it makes an excellent low fat pasta sauce that I can store in the fridge for 2-3 days, and is often cheaper than the jars of pasta sauce you buy and far nicer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭uli84

Wow 12p nappy bags:), I think the cheapest Ive seen here was 60c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭bigwillie

Champion crinkle cut chips 79c 1kg,
    four seasons maris piper roast potatoes 89c, 1kg.
    both both in Aldi and both delicious,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Any students that buys noodles is probably aware of the Tesco 20c noodles. €2 on those noodles lasts normally about 3 weeks (eating them as a snack/for lunch).

Also, forget how much the chocolate bars are, but you can basically get 8 mini mars bars (Tesco Value brand) for about 1.50. Taste the exact same as Mars Bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

THFC wrote: »
    Also, forget how much the chocolate bars are, but you can basically get 8 mini mars bars (Tesco Value brand) for about 1.50. Taste the exact same as Mars Bars.

The Aldi own brand versions of Mars/Snickers and Twix come in at 85 - 90c for pack of 5 full size bars and are nicer than the tesco versions I think. Aldi Jelly Beans are not unlike the more expensive ones and are 79c a bag. The Shortbread fingers are only about 57c cent now.

Tesco do an own brand version of the curry pot noodles for 30c (the chicken ones are 60c for some reason)

Kind of an obvious one but lidl and Aldi chage 59c for the par baked white baguettes, fraction of the price of branded versions.

Aldi own brand Tortillas and dips are very reasonable (can't remember how much but I think around 80 - 90c each and as nice as branded versions. All their snacks/nuts are very reasonable and yummy.

Aldi/Lidl and Tesco all do dried herbs very cheaply these days. (Again I can't remember exact prices but under 60c)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Got a new GNOME today in Euro Giant, complete with pinwheel, for a measly €2!

8Owgol.jpg

Also got 1 x Bag of Apples, 1 x 2 pack pepper, and 1 bag on onions, all for €2 in SUPERB Valu.
    ItkWGl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Aldi Moser Roth dark chocolate - in 5 individual bars, €1.39 and just as nice as Green & Blacks for half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Aldi Moser Roth dark chocolate - in 5 individual bars, €1.39 and just as nice as Green & Blacks for half the price!
    Ah, they're not.

Most of what's in Aldi and Lidl is cheaper for a reason. Use to be a Fan but have gradually been moving back to Dunnes for alot of stuff.

They're was a Thread here awhile back with recommendations for stuff in their shops, bought most of it, dog ate alot of it.

Lifes to short for the sake of a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

+1
    Fantastic chocolate. I use the 70% and 85 cocoa solids bars whenever I make chocolate brownies (using a Green & Blacks recipe :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Mmmm .... Aldi chocolate .... love the ... Fruit and Nut [url][/url] and can't wait to try Rum and Raisin. I hope they get it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ah, they're not.

Most of what's in Aldi and Lidl is cheaper for a reason. Use to be a Fan but have gradually been moving back to Dunnes for alot of stuff.

They're was a Thread here awhile back with recommendations for stuff in their shops, bought most of it, dog ate alot of it.

Lifes to short for the sake of a few euro.

Your one of the only person I've heard say that. I think the Aldi and Lidl brands rock and I'm fussy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Lidl Spicy Mango Chutney is out of this world fantastic. Really spicy full of whole cardamons, spices, it's like a gourmet chutney from a deli. I think its 95c or something ..... they have 2 chutney varieties, Mango and Spicy, the plain mango is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pal wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO4-8Mns75FA0NJtMDxs37q1HMYPJKCwX_t5zeIInzvgGqf1Npzw

750ml cartons of Innocent.

€2
    Supervalu.

You Sir should be banned from Bargain Alerts :p

Nearly €3 for a liter of smoothy? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

unkel wrote: »
    You Sir should be banned from Bargain Alerts :p

Nearly €3 for a liter of smoothy? :eek:

To be fair, its probably not glorified sulfuric acid like cheaper juices, for somethings you just have to spend a bit more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Any jar sauce from LIDL, absolutely spot on and I don't think I've spent more than a euro on any. Might need a sprinkle of an extra but of spice here and there (the korma is a little week but a small bit of any curry powder sorts that out.)

Also lidl tinned soup, about 50c a tin iirc, perfect for lunches or that

imitation wrote: »
    To be fair, its probably not glorified sulfuric acid

Indeed. The Innocent smoothies are nice and wholesome, but very expensive! We need to see a price much better than €3/l for them to figure in this bargain alerts forum! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭djdunny

Dunnes have a lot of Euro Buster offers on in store at the moment.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/groceryleaflet/

some of the offers are listed in the leaflet. some of the other ones i can think of are 4 x standard Mars or Snickers for 1 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

A bottle opener shaped like a key, a steal at 1.22 including delivery from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Key-Shaped-Beer-Bottle-Opener-Keyring-Chain-Metal-Tag-Pub-Bar-Club-Tool-Copper-/290829957648?pt=UK_Collectables_Breweriana_SM&hash=item43b6d0fa10

I got one of these a year or so ago, I don't drink from bottles often so it hasn't been used much but never let me down when I did use it. The shipping took a looooooong time though, think about 6 weeks, I'd forgotten I'd ordered it by the time it came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Nolimits wrote: »
    A bottle opener shaped like a key, a steal at 1.22 including delivery from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Key-Shaped-Beer-Bottle-Opener-Keyring-Chain-Metal-Tag-Pub-Bar-Club-Tool-Copper-/290829957648?pt=UK_Collectables_Breweriana_SM&hash=item43b6d0fa10

I got one of these a year or so ago, I don't drink from bottles often so it hasn't been used much but never let me down when I did use it. The shipping took a looooooong time though, think about 6 weeks, I'd forgotten I'd ordered it by the time it came.

Tis free to the UK. Just under a euro to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Pj! wrote: »
    Tis free to the UK. Just under a euro to Ireland.

Oh right, it was free to Ireland when I got it, I set my Parcel Motel address as my default ebay address, must be why it's showing up as free to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Loving this thread and the little recipe tips.... keep them coming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi's tomato relishes at €1.79 are a steal at that price. Yum yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

€1.49 for a 1 meter HDMI cable in Dealz. Just as good as any over priced cable as it's all digital in the end of the day.

You can also get a USB hub and a multi-card reader for €1.49 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

grimm2005 wrote: »
    €1.49 for a 1 meter HDMI cable in Dealz. Just as good as any over priced cable as it's all digital in the end of the day.

You can also get a USB hub and a multi-card reader for €1.49 each.

Yeah picked up a couple of these yesterday.

Perfect length for behind the TV to connect the Sky Box & Blu Ray player.

As OP says there is no difference between a HDMI cable costing €1.49 or one costing €20+ HDMI works or it doesnt unlike the older Scart which had different quality levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the euroshops are selling jars of crushed garlic for €1.50. you get twice maybe 3 times the amount that you would in a tube that costs close to €3 in the supermarkets.
    i used it yesterday in a lasagne and made garlic butter with it, very good quality

the euroshops are selling jars of crushed garlic for €1.50. you get twice maybe 3 times the amount that you would in a tube that costs close to €3 in the supermarkets.

Also available in any asian shop. Cheaper than that again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I got one of these a few years back,,,, I wouldnt recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Went into the 2 euro shop:
    Fairy wash up liquid €1
    Finish dishwasher tabs 15pk €2
    Aqua Fresh mouthwash €1
    Domestos 750ml €1
    Pledge floor cleaner 1L €1.50
    Anti bac spray €1
    Kileen bin bags €1
    Colgate toothpaste mint €1
    Cleaning products are the sameso why pay more? Also Dealz sell 4 cans of coca cola for€1.49, my local is €0.99 for one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Davy wrote: »
    I got one of these a few years back,,,, I wouldnt recommend it.

had one as well pretty cool lucking but lack robustness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi's tomato relishes at €1.79 are a steal at that price. Yum yum

love this, way nicer than Ballymaloe country relish, and cheaper too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Something similar but just as useless:
    Nail clippers shaped like a rally car @ 1 and 2 euro in Pennys Galway (apparently they look good on your desk). They also had those ice grip things for shoes and some kind of speaker you stick your iPhone into reduced to 2/3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dicey Reillys serve pints for €2 on a Tuesday. The same pints are sold for 3.50 on a Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dicey Reillys serve pints for €2 on a Tuesday. The same pints are sold for 3.50 on a Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Wouldn't fancy drinking a pint someone else had already drunk, especially if it was dearer. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Red pesto from aldi is I think 79c. Makes a change from buying it in other supermarkets for close to €2 for a brand name.

Same goes for orange juice too. I pay 75c in aldi for a litre when squeeze would be 1.50 as far as I know maybe more.

Oh and if I'm buying frames I go to deals or Mr price as I can get a nice frame for less than 2 quid instead of paying nearly 7 (which I have seen in certain shops and pharmacies)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Same goes for orange juice too. I pay 75c in aldi for a litre when squeeze would be 1.50 as far as I know maybe more.
    Which 1l orange juice in Aldi is 75c :confused:

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which 1l orange juice in Aldi is 75c :confused:
    It's in the blue container, the name escapes me at the moment, del something.
    I could be wrong on the price though apologies if I am.

Must be 99c or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It could be the Del Rivo From Concentrate orange juice maybe?

I normally buy the Del Rivo Not From Concentrate orange juice, which is €1.49 I think. It's much much nicer than the From Concentrate orange juice (either Del Rivo, Squeez or any other brand), and it also cheaper than Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalu's own brand version of Not From Concentrate orange juice (typically €1.99). The Not From Concentrate orange juice scored higher than Tropicana in a Which? taste test back in August 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

aldi 20c noodles...got me through college last year...

snubbleste wrote: »
    Must be 99c or more
    It's definitely less than 99c

I get the from concentrate one so its not too expensive.

It's definitely less than 99c
    I get the from concentrate one so its not too expensive.
    Tesco value orange juice is 99c. It can't be less than that. I'll pop into Aldi later on and see what they charge for the blue carton del something from concentrate orange juice.

I checked Aldi.
    The concentrated orange juice is 99c or €1.09 from the fridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement