Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making every euro count ... great things under €1/€2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

snubbleste wrote: »
    I checked Aldi.
    The concentrated orange juice is 99c or €1.09 from the fridge.

I admit im wrong. I could have sworn it was 75c but i must have been thinking about something else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What are you snubbleste, the juice police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

phasers wrote: »
    What are you snubbleste, the juice police?

yeah, she'll squeeze the correct information outta ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Little Ted wrote: »
    yeah, she'll squeeze the correct information outta ya! :p

Come on people, concentrate ,concentrate !!!!!!!! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭siber

I checked Aldi.
    The concentrated orange juice is 99c or €1.09 from the fridge.
    Best value Orange Juice around at the moment is Fruice (from concentrate) in Tescos.
    Cost €1.60 each or 2 for €2.50. Use 2 x 60 c off Fruice Juice coupons from Pigsback.ie and you get two for €1.30 - 65 cents per litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

quite a few of my regular aldi purchases are already mentioned here like red kidney beans, country relishes (check out the chargrilled pepper one - yum!) and 79c gourmet jelly beans :)

some other items I always buy at aldi are:
    6 pack lynch's pitta breads @ 59c
    grandessa seville orange marmalade @1.49
    1.5kg kavanaghs porridge oats @ €1.39
    80 mcgraths gold blend tea bags @€;1.49 / reserve blend €1.69 - both are great

they also sell a great mixed seed range (pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds) @ €1.19 a pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Picked up Dunnes own branded jars of bolognese sauce,white sauce, etc few different flavours(mushroom, spicy etc) are all €1 at the moment.

They are lovely even a their full price.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I used to buy the Tesco Value Tortilla Chips for €1, but now I see they've been increased to €1.05 since Xmas.

You'll flip at this so. They used to be 17 cent. Exact same bag, chip and size. Twas about 5 years ago though.

Aldi/Lidl veg in general is brilliant value.

59cent Mozzarella balls are very good value in Aldi.
    €1.39 8 jumbo sausages in Aldi are deliciousness and really are jumbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Ah, they're not.

Most of what's in Aldi and Lidl is cheaper for a reason. Use to be a Fan but have gradually been moving back to Dunnes for alot of stuff.

They're was a Thread here awhile back with recommendations for stuff in their shops, bought most of it, dog ate alot of it.

Lifes to short for the sake of a few euro.

Think you're in the minority here. I'm a massive chocoholic, have eaten expensive brands and standard chocolate and I think this is divine. I like G&B but it wouldn't be often I'd buy it for €3.

You'll flip at this so. They used to be 17 cent. Exact same bag, chip and size. Twas about 5 years ago though.

Aldi/Lidl veg in general is brilliant value.

59cent Mozzarella balls are very good value in Aldi.
    €1.39 8 jumbo sausages in Aldi are deliciousness and really are jumbo.

17c!!!!!!!! I used to pay 50p for them in Tesco UK, moved back home and of course they were €1.... hmm, that conversion's a bit off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's in the blue container, the name escapes me at the moment, del something.
    I could be wrong on the price though apologies if I am.
    Must be 99c or more

The blue Del XXXX one in Aldi is 99c. Was in there yesterday.

It wasnt the Del Rivo one, it was Del OrXX or similar in a blue carton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

You're right - when I started buying them they were a lot less than a euro (perhaps about 40 cents, 3 years ago).
    I still always buy them though - it's hard to get unflavoured chips for making nachos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2L Milk in the €2 shop and Iceland at the Maple centre on the Navan Rd is €1.19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

a bag of seasonal mixed salad, 1 Euro in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

donnacha wrote: »
    they also sell a great mixed seed range (pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds) @ €1.19 a pack.

Don't forget to mention that the usually expensive pine nuts are also part of this seed range. Now, it is a tiny pack but it will be fine for a large family salad

The cheapest pack of pine nuts in Superquinn / Tesco is easily €4-€5

unkel wrote: »
    Don't forget to mention that the usually expensive pine nuts are also part of this seed range. Now, it is a tiny pack but it will be fine for a large family salad

The cheapest pack of pine nuts in Superquinn / Tesco is easily €4-€5

I find that middle eastern or Turkish shops tend to be cheapest for pine nuts - you can get mahoosive bags there! Not sure what the price is (definitely no €1/2 but possibly per kilo!) I'll check it out next time I'm picking some up.

Also, for anyone who uses a lot of rice or cous cous, again middle eastern and asian shops are much cheaper - they sell huge sacks or large 5 kilo bags of basmati rice much cheaper per kilo than supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I find that middle eastern or Turkish shops tend to be cheapest for pine nuts - you can get mahoosive bags there! Not sure what the price is (definitely no €1/2 but possibly per kilo!) I'll check it out next time I'm picking some up.

Also, for anyone who uses a lot of rice or cous cous, again middle eastern and asian shops are much cheaper - they sell huge sacks or large 5 kilo bags of basmati rice much cheaper per kilo than supermarkets.

Risks from eating pine nuts
    Pine nuts can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no known lasting effects, with the FDA reporting that there are "no apparent adverse clinical side effects.".[11] This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[12] Publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine nut syndrome" or as "pine mouth".[13] The Nestlé Research Centre has hypothesized that nuts from a particular species of pine occurring mostly in China, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts.[14] A 2011 study found results consistent with this hypothesis and also suggested that chemicals used in the shelling process might be responsible.[15] Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment.[16] Möller[17] has postulated a hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Cheeseburger. €1. Eurosaver.

:)

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    Pine nuts can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no known lasting effects, with the FDA reporting that there are "no apparent adverse clinical side effects.".[11] This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[12] Publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine nut syndrome" or as "pine mouth".[13] The Nestlé Research Centre has hypothesized that nuts from a particular species of pine occurring mostly in China, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts.[14] A 2011 study found results consistent with this hypothesis and also suggested that chemicals used in the shelling process might be responsible.[15] Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment.[16] Möller[17] has postulated a hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS

Never experienced it myself and I eat them A LOT! but then again, I don't eat chinese ones, I always get the ones grown in Turkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Risks from eating pine nuts...

This+_a1e16231d2e0caca5c1c306001d0ffe2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Cheeseburger. €1. Eurosaver.

:)

last time I checked it was only a hamburger (no cheese) which is why I never buy it, and go for the double cheeseburger for €2 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

I was in JD sports on Henry Street and got a pair of Adult Kooga Rugby socks €1, Kids Chelsea socks €1, Kids Ireland Football socks €1, and a McK hat for €1.50.

So it can taste a bit off but is compeletely harmless when it does? Just like about every other food? Why did you bother posting all that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Nice thread, thanks op. Lots of things listed that i already get and agree with.

The Lidl can of peeled plum tomato (with ring pull) is the best value canned tomato around @37/39c If you are putting them into soups, sauces or ragu's you don't need them pre chopped.
    Aldi soft tortillas @79c (i think) are also good wraps. Sour cream also at 79c is a fraction of what you'd pay elsewhere.
    Large tubs of plain greek style yoghurt in Aldi for 99c, lots of uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So it can taste a bit off but is compeletely harmless when it does? Just like about every other food? Why did you bother posting all that? :)

Don't worry, he's just a bit nuts :pac:

Don't worry, he's just a bit nuts :pac:

I think you have a pine there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it's worth bearing in mind IMO
    I've had that 'pine mouth', it's a strong taste of eating coins that stays for days on end
    don't buy Chinese pine nuts !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

A few of my recommendations for Aldi and Dunnes

Frozen peas €1.29 better than birdseye
    Bramley Ketchup ( Also Burger ketchup) < €1
    Curry sauces ( Kids prefer them to Uncle Bens) - one is under €1 and other under €2
    Del Rio Orange juice - about 85c ?
    Brown and White sliced pan - 75c
    Super 6 veg great value every week
    Digestive buscuits - plain 39c choc 65c
    Crackers 39c

Go Dunnes on a Sunday morning and loook for reduced price fridge area.. seems to be loads there every Sunday morning ( Must mark it down Sat night)

dak wrote: »
    A few of my recommendations for Aldi and Dunnes

Frozen peas €1.29 better than birdseye
    Bramley Ketchup ( Also Burger ketchup) < €1
    Curry sauces ( Kids prefer them to Uncle Bens) - one is under €1 and other under €2
    Del Rio Orange juice - about 85c ?
    Brown and White sliced pan - 75c
    Super 6 veg great value every week
    Digestive buscuits - plain 39c choc 65c
    Crackers 39c

Go Dunnes on a Sunday morning and loook for reduced price fridge area.. seems to be loads there every Sunday morning ( Must mark it down Sat night)

which place is each product from? just wondering which place you get the peas and sauce - Dunnes or Aldi? not clear from your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Crackers 39c

I Think tescos own brand crackers are 26 cent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The 2 things that I always buy in Aldi which are top quality and great value are:
    1) Fresh Green Pesto €1.99. Delicious on mozzarella (59c) salad, pasta or mixed into a creamy (creme fraiche 89c) hot sauce for chicken. MUCH cheaper than other fresh pestos, which can cost €4-5 for the same size. Don't buy the pesto in the glass jars - there is no comparison in taste.
    2) Tinned Wild Red Salmon €1.99. Superb quality product for salads and sandwiches. Again, half the price of similar products in other shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    The tesco crackers are in a much smaller packet but they taste amazing! They taste exactly like Jacobs. The aldi ones aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

which place is each product from? just wondering which place you get the peas and sauce - Dunnes or Aldi? not clear from your post

All from Aldi. Reference to Dunnes was to look for bargains on a sunday morning!

All from Aldi. Reference to Dunnes was to look for bargains on a sunday morning!

The reduced section in my local Tesco is pathetic, stuff that's going off that day with about 50c off or something equally ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

The reduced section in my local Tesco is pathetic, stuff that's going off that day with about 50c off or something equally ridiculous.
    Lidl are the worst for this. They had these big legs of Lamb in the freezer €12 reduced to €10 a few weeks back that were going off that day and this at 4 in the evening.:eek::confused:

Seriously couldn't believe the waste, there was like 20 of them in there aswell.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    1) Fresh Green Pesto €1.99. Delicious on mozzarella (59c) salad, pasta or mixed into a creamy (creme fraiche 89c) hot sauce for chicken. MUCH cheaper than other fresh pestos, which can cost €4-5 for the same size. Don't buy the pesto in the glass jars - there is no comparison in taste.

Are you saying dont buy the aldi pestos in the red/green lid jars or is there another pesto type for sale in aldi that i have not seen?

Just wondering as we always buy the small red/green lid jar pestos from aldi and might be missing out on another nicer type from in there?

Access wrote: »
    Are you saying dont buy the aldi pestos in the red/green lid jars or is there another pesto type for sale in aldi that i have not seen?

Just wondering as we always buy the small red/green lid jar pestos from aldi and might be missing out on another nicer type from in there?

Nah, I think they're saying in general fresh pesto is superior to the stuff in jars, and if you like it you should buy it in aldi.

gazzaman22 wrote: »

Pretty sure they are a much smaller packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi have 9 premium butchers sausages for €1.99 (used ot be made by Olhausen but they are gone, don't know who makes them now but they are just as good)

Far better than any sausage for sale in Tesco imo.

4 bulbs of garlic in a pack in Lidl for 39c today.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

6 bell peppers for 2e in Super Valu today.

KqjgMl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

jayteecork wrote: »
    6 bell peppers for 2e in Super Valu today.

KqjgMl.jpg

they have lots of fruit and veg in the 3 for 2 offer at the moment

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi have 9 premium butchers sausages for €1.99 (used ot be made by Olhausen but they are gone, don't know who makes them now but they are just as good)

And they are the highest pork content i have spotted anywhere for the money! 80% i think.

Spotted there was a "basics" range of sausages in a well known supermarket today... i looked at the back and it stated 15% pork content! :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Yeah but I think the best value is getting all peppers cause they're normally 99c each.

plus they're wrapped so they're not pawed by the rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

vicwatson wrote: »

They are my favourite sausage from any supermarket. Even if money wasn't a problem I still would buy though. 80% pork content, they are fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aldi flour is great now 1.19 I think - half the price of odlums and still Irish.

Combined with aldi "perfect for baking" margerine (75g to 500g flour) it makes really good scones.

A batch of 15 scones costs 75c and the kids love making them, cutting them out and eating them - win win win.

Aldi brioche are great 1.39 - tesco, lidl and dunnes are like cardboard by comparison.
    With all the saturated fat you wouldn't want to be eating them every day though!

The aldi 89c? bolognese sauce is good as are most of the tinned tomatoes and beans. The tesco chunky one with the green label is good too €1.19 i think. It can be a bit chunky for the kids so I sometime whizz it with the hand blender.

I find the aldi bolognese sauce a bit heavy on the oregano and not heavy enough on the basil. Put a tin of aldi "chopped tomatoes with herbs" briefly in the blender add that to the bolognese sauce and add some garlic italian seasoning its pretty close to what I'd make fresh.

Lidl passata I find inedible - chock full of citric acid. Theres a tip, if passata / tomato sauce says citric acid on the label avoid. Tomatoes that are good for preserving have enough citric acid in them.

Aldi soy sauce €1.19 is great I use buckets of it

Aldi bramwells ketchup 75c is good too and I wouldn't touch cheap ketchup normally.

Aldi hazelnuts, almonds 1.79? in the baking section are great for lunchboxes.

Aldi mcgraths gold blend tea 1.49? keeps the lyons and barrys fans in our house quiet its got gold 2 stars in the great taste awards this year.

Aldi Snackrite (tayto) popcorn, microwave popcorn are a big hit in out house too. The handcooked popcorn is in general fantastic none of the farty soy lecithin you get on others. You occasionally get a super salty slightly soggy pack presumably the stuff from the bottom of the pile so don't be put off it you get a dodgy pack.

Aldis own brand shreddies are good and cheerios are grand, the cheerios are a lot different to nestle and 30% less sugar but we all like them.

Not under €2 but a huge saving - the Aldi super concentrated almat good housekeeping approved washing detergent is very good €2.79 I think. I used to only buy persil or aerial excel gel. This stuff is very good, don't confuse it with the other almat made in ireland stuff which is the same as tesco value stuff.

I really like the mosher roth chocolate mentioned earlier too, I bought it for baking originally but its far too good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I'm saying: don't buy the pesto in the glass containers on the ordinary shelf - it is cheap and nasty. Buy the fresh pesto in the fridge. In my local Aldi, it is beside the bagged salads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Same in all the Tescos as far as I can see. I don't really shop in Dunnes anymore but the reduced section is far better. The stuff usually has at least one more day of shelf life.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I'm saying: don't buy the pesto in the glass containers on the ordinary shelf - it is cheap and nasty. Buy the fresh pesto in the fridge. In my local Aldi, it is beside the bagged salads.

I would agree generally green pesto is better fresh, however i use the red pesto as the base topping on a homemade pizza, OH prefers just tomatoe puree, but there is a extra kick from the red pesto. Its a bit oily though, but taste great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dealz - Lonka Traditional Fudge €1.49, contains 180g, out of this world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And they are the highest pork content i have spotted anywhere for the money! 80% i think.

Spotted there was a "basics" range of sausages in a well known supermarket today... i looked at the back and it stated 15% pork content! :eek:

Actually y'know Superquinns are 80% pork also

But they are €3.99 for 12 :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement