Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford United player signed up by West Ham

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Saw this on the BBC/football website.

nice to see more Irish players getting their chance, There is also a Derry City player going to Notts Forest.

I reckon that youll see alot more transfers of this kind due to the financial crunch and football is no different, Clubs are looking at the likes of seamus coleman and James McClean who were bought for peanuts and are now valued at millions. This can only be good for the national team.

Good luck to the waterford player hope he does well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20899354

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Saw this on the BBC/football website.

nice to see more Irish players getting their chance, There is also a Derry City player going to Notts Forest.

I reckon that youll see alot more transfers of this kind due to the financial crunch and football is no different, Clubs are looking at the likes of seamus coleman and James McClean who were bought for peanuts and are now valued at millions. This can only be good for the national team.

Good luck to the waterford player hope he does well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20899354

Didn't the last Sean Maguire in London's East End get killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Did he not get addicted to drugs or something?, lets hope this lad doesnt meet the same fate!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Nice of sky sports all day to say he helped the blues get promotion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

We can forgive him being a Kilkenny man I guess :) hope the move goes well for him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Born in Luton. Raised in Kilkenny !!

COYI !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

wellboy76 wrote: »

Nice one. For all their touchy feely ****e, it's great to see them fcuk up once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

They said the same on the wireless this morning morning Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

mattser wrote: »
    Nice one. For all their touchy feely ****e, it's great to see them fcuk up once in a while.

The Irish presenter also said that West Ham signed him from Watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Some fella from Tramore made his debut for Aston Villa a few weeks ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

wellboy76 wrote: »
    mattser wrote: »

It's not Sky Sports fault. It's the same on the West Ham site so whoever did the press release is at fault for it.
    Some fella from Tramore made his debut for Aston Villa a few weeks ago too.

Derrick Williams, came on as a sub against QPR at Loftus Road. I was photographing that game.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »

It's not Sky Sports fault. It's the same on the West Ham site so whoever did the press release is at fault for it.

Derrick Williams, came on as a sub against QPR at Loftus Road. I was photographing that game.

Thers a lad that made his debut a month or two ago for villa, they signed him from shelbourne or something hes a left back I think thats not the fella your talking about, I think we may see english clubs sending more scouts over to ireland to bring in cheaper players with potential to develop, they cost very little and if they make the first team chancers are they are much cheaper than siging some pre madonna sulk from psg who needs time to adjuzt to theculture and be petulant.

Seamus coleman has to be the blueprint for very many english clubs who see the potential again in irish football, theyd get at least ten million for him a plyer they signed for 250, 000 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Thers a lad that made his debut a month or two ago for villa, they signed him from shelbourne or something hes a left back I think thats not the fella your talking about, I think we may see english clubs sending more scouts over to ireland to bring in cheaper players with potential to develop, they cost very little and if they make the first team chancers are they are much cheaper than siging some pre madonna sulk from psg who needs time to adjuzt to theculture and be petulant.

Seamus coleman has to be the blueprint for very many english clubs who see the potential again in irish football, theyd get at least ten million for him a plyer they signed for 250, 000 or something like that.

think your on about enda stevens they signed him from shamrock rovers

aston villa signed derrick from tramore afc when he was 16

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Seanni will wear the number 24 shirt at Upton Park.A club really on the up hopefully he will get a game in next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Was at Upton Park on Tues for the Norwich game and working in the media room nobody heard of Sean. Told them he was signing yesterday from Waterford United and showed them photos of him playing his last game.

jkelly85 wrote: »
    think your on about enda stevens they signed him from shamrock rovers

aston villa signed derrick from tramore afc when he was 16

Yeah thats him, I think its good though for Ireland to see that premierleague teams are starting to have a serious look again at Irish youngsters as a way of getting around the financial crisis that is also affecting football clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Yeah thats him, I think its good though for Ireland to see that premierleague teams are starting to have a serious look again at Irish youngsters as a way of getting around the financial crisis that is also affecting football clubs!

English clubs have been signing Irish youngsters for years. Its nothing new. Seanie was out of contract so was free to sign for anyone. Waterford United will get training compensation and will probably have to pay that out to Seanies agent brother depending on the result of the appeal of the court case that took place before Christmas.

south wrote: »
    English clubs have been signing Irish youngsters for years. Its nothing new. Seanie was out of contract so was free to sign for anyone. Waterford United will get training compensation and will probably have to pay that out to Seanies agent brother depending on the result of the appeal of the court case that took place before Christmas.

English clubs have been signing Irish players for years really? :D

English clubs have been signing Irish players for years but there has been a distinct lack of Irish players with Irish accents over the past few years playing first team football for premier league clubs, especially ones that come directly from the Irish league to play in the first team and in the past few years theres only been the likes of Coleman McClean and a couple of others at villa now at west ham it seems they are increaing in their pursuits of Irish players lately.

My point being was that teams were happier to spend on foreigners/ european players and the Irish and even english numbers dropped dramatically, lets hope it continues for Irish footballs progres!

Advertisement