Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card fees

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

:mad:
    hi i have a aib visa card during xmas i bought a prersent with the card and i didnt have enough in the card but i didnt know that untill checked my statement two weeks later.
    the transaction still went through.this happened on the 20/12/12 and also on the 20/12/12 i was charged 7 euro for late feesand 4 days later another 7 euro.
    are they allowed do this or should the card been rejected at the shop counter,to me it seemes they knew what they were doing and screwed me.
    should i ring them and ###### them out of it.times are bad enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its called an unauthorised overdraft, they are allowed to do. If they dont do it customers will complain, if they do do it, customers will complain. Complain if you want, they have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's up to the card holder to keep an eye on their account. Not all credit card transactions are checked "live" against the balance. Many retailers have a floor limit, which means an amount under which a transaction is processed without having to be checked with the card issuer. So no, it wouldn't nessecarily be rejected at the counter.

Obviously, if you are near your limit and a transaction comes through, the card issuer has to honour the payment to the retailer.

Going over limits involves fees - that's practically standard for all credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

physco wrote: »
    :mad:
    hi i have a aib visa card during xmas i bought a prersent with the card and i didnt have enough in the card but i didnt know that untill checked my statement two weeks later.
    the transaction still went through.this happened on the 20/12/12 and also on the 20/12/12 i was charged 7 euro for late feesand 4 days later another 7 euro.
    are they allowed do this or should the card been rejected at the shop counter,to me it seemes they knew what they were doing and screwed me.
    should i ring them and ###### them out of it.times are bad enough.

Obviously you shouldnt do that. What you can try is explaining the situation, that you never knew about the fees etc. It has worked for me before, got 60 refunded but you have to be nice about it, typically that will only work once and any refund you might get will have been noted on the account. Two things, they dont have to do it, and it would only be a gesture of goodwill. Its up to you if the refund is worth that phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

OP, what do your terms and conditions say?

Advertisement