Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same sex marriage Ireland

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

How long before legislation for same sex marriage is introduced in Ireland?.. also are you for equal rights or against.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Unorthodox wrote: »
    How long before legislation for same sex marriage is introduced in Ireland?.. also are you for equal rights or against.

I think you'll find.most straight people support same sex marraige so I'm sure legislation will happen soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Unorthodox wrote: »

About 18 months

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I don't understand why everything has to take so bloody long in this country. The vast majority of people support equal rights for gay people/couples, anyone who doesn't is stuck in the past and frankly I don't think anyone gives a damn what they think so will they ever just get on with it. Why should gay couples put their lives on hold, they should be able to marry, to adopt, to leave their assets to each other in the event of ones death, these are basic things and I will never understand the mindset of those who have a problem with that, nor do I ever want to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Um. Two things.

First, I think the majority are in favour of it, but much of that majority doesn't feel very strongly about it. Whereas the minority against it may feel very, very strongly on the subject. Politicians may therefore feel that they have more to lose than to gain by backing gay marriage, even though the majority favour it.

Secondly, there's a view, isn't there, that because of the constitutional provisions regarding marriage, a constitutional amendment might be required before gay marriage could safely be legislated for. And that requires a referendum. And pollies hate referendums (and the wider public is not all that keen on them either).

So, sadly, this is going to take longer than it should, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's on the agenda of the constitutional convention which is starting this month and finishing in a year.

We do have civil partnership and many couples have availed of it in this country so I don't think it is quite fair to state that gay couples have to put their lives on hold.

I accept that civil partnership is not fully equal to marriage but let's not forget that it actually exists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement