Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new Laptop

Options
  • 03-01-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi as the title suggests I am in the market for a new laptop
    and I am looking for some advice on buying

(Mods If this is in the wrong place or should be on another thread please delete)

Not very well versed in the current specifications out there / recommended or what is best suited to my needs.

(I currently have a dell inspiron 1720 and its well past its prime - runs windows vista , 1.6 Intel dual Pentium and 2 GB ram but constantly gets a blue screen and memory hangs)

As some of my friends and family also want a laptop (same reason - 3+ years old laptops currently) I will be trying to take the recommendations here to the shop and look for a discount . Between them it will be 4-5 laptops including mine. All will be used for similar functions - family based laptops for day to day general use - internet , music , writing documents

In keeping with the sticky on the forum the following is the criteria

Budget: Pre discount (if I were to achieve one) 400-500 euros

Intended use: College work, internet, e-mail, Word processing, Spreadsheets, music
    general family computers , no heavy use eg graphics or programming

Mobility: Not necessarily important would prefer 15.6" + because of dvd watching, streaming etc

Warranty: Would a 12 month one be standard ? Extended one not a issue

What Operating System do you use? Windows currently - given budget MAC not an option and even with that may be a bit much for parents etc to switch to

So my question is
    do you have any suggestions
    or
    could someone guide me on a min spec - which I will used as a wishlist for the best deal when comparing prices across the shops
    eg min 3 GB ram
    does Intel or AMD based matter
    should you insist on Windows 8
    what type of processor

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

Advertisement