Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

origonal name of Cameo cinema

Options
  • 03-01-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,can anybody tell me the origonal name of the Cameo Cinema which was located near Collins Barracks Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Can never remember it being called anything other that the Cameo but check the library for "The Golden Age of Cork Cinemas" By John McSweeney. Rose Arch Publications. Cork, 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My 88 year old mother in law says it was called the Military. Though this may have been a nickname at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bilser

Does the name the " Gaeity " ring a bell with anybody as the origonal name of the Cameo.I have just been speaking with a man who lived near Collins Barracks many years ago. --- I think I've nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

bilser wrote: »
    Does the name the " Gaeity " ring a bell with anybody as the origonal name of the Cameo.I have just been speaking with a man who lived near Collins Barracks many years ago. --- I think I've nailed it.

Heard of the Lido, the Coliseum, Assembs, the Lee, the Ritz, The Palace, and the Cameo - never the Gaeity.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Bellevue !!! That's probably the building location, not just the movies :D

Page 8. http://www.ucc.ie/research/nfp/archive/archive8.PDF

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Bellevue !!! That's probably the building location, not just the movies :D

Page 8. http://www.ucc.ie/research/nfp/archive/archive8.PDF

Well done you.

Name: CHILLINGWORTH & LEVIE
    Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MILITARY ROAD, BELLEVUE CINEMA
    Date: 1919-1920
    Nature: Builder: J. Kearns & Son. Decoration by J.O'Connell, Cork
    Refs: IB 61, 19 Apr 1919, 191; 62, 25 Sep 1920, 617

http://www.dia.ie/works/view/3883/building/CO.+CORK,+CORK,+MILITARY+ROAD,+BELLEVUE+CINEMA

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McKennsy

Im a bit late to this thread I know but I asked my mother who has lived in the area for her entire life and she said it was a cinema called The Bellevue, then it changed to a "dance hall" called the Gaiety, and then it changed back to a cinema and was called The Cameo. i remember seeing many a film there on a Saturday morning. Once the main screen was broken so he brought in a projector type screen, about 8 by 10. The next week that was broken and he had a television. He was in the process of remodeling the place and there was scaffolding everywhere so out of the 100+ kids who were there I'd say only 5 bothered to watch the film and everyone else was climbing the scaffolding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Seamus Quinn the owner, refubished the Cameo with seating that could relocated in order to use it as a dancehall.
    He was away ahead of his time with regard to cinema deseigne, unfortunatly he was forced out of buisineess by the the big owner/distributers and it closed together with Ritz (renamed The Kino) in Washinton St. which he owned as well
    There's a very interesting book on Cork cinemas in the City Library.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Seamus Quinn the owner, refubished the Cameo with seating that could relocated in order to use it as a dancehall.
    He was away ahead of his time with regard to cinema deseigne, unfortunatly he was forced out of buisineess by the the big owner/distributers and it closed together with Ritz (renamed The Kino) in Washinton St. which he owned as well
    There's a very interesting book on Cork cinemas in the City Library.

The Ritz became the Classic afaik and was where Long Island is now.

Kino used to be a pool hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

evilivor wrote: »

Kino used to be a pool hall.

Shame about the Kino, when it closed a few years ago there was a bit of a campaign to help it out but nothing came of it. Badly missed imo, it showed some great indie movies. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

evilivor wrote: »
    Correct, in the back of my mind I knew it was called something else between The Ritz and the Kino.

Advertisement