Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef/guinness pie/stew

Options
  • 03-01-2013 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to make a beef and guinness pie/stew, I'd like to try a slow-cooker recipe, if anyone can recommend a good one?

I have made this one a few times and I don't like it, there's always a strong after taste. At first I thought I'd put too much herbs in, but then I left out the herbs and the taste is still there, so I don't know what the taste is from.

I have two bottle of the FES stout so would prefer to use those rather than buying more guinness.

What I'd like to do is make a stew and then top it with puff pastry and put it in the oven for a bit.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could recommend any recipes as there are so many out there I just don't know what to go for. I've seen recipes that call for chocolate, but I have never heard of chocolate in a stew, so am a bit dubious about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've just made the beef in guinness stew from the Avoca cookbook tonight, and it's bloody gorgeous. Nothing to stop you topping it off with pastry after it's done. I also suspect that any sort of stout would do, doesn't particularly have to be Guinness (although I don't actually know what FES is.....)

If you google "avoca beef guinness" you'll find the recipes posted on various forums (fora?). Some seem to be missing the 300ml of beef stock and a spoon of tomato puree that's in the version I have. Otherwise identical

Can't recommend highly enough!

ETA - just seen that you want a slow-cooker version - don't know how the liquid amounts would translate for that as I've never used one. I used a casserole dish in the oven at 140 for 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Sorry I should have said in my post that FES is the guinness foreign extra stout, apologies.

Could you post up the recipe you have? I've just googled quickly for the Avoca recipe and there are different recipes so I don't know which is right as I have no Avoca cookbooks to check with.

Doesn't have to be slow cooker, all recipes are appreciated :)

Thanks for your help.

This is one I found earlier (had this exact conversation with a pal of mine abroad about an hour ago!)

This one doesn't mention the 300ml beef stock (I made up 200ml with a knorr stockpot thingy) or the spoon of tomato puree (which I ignored as I didn't have any).

Other than that, exactly as I made it. I ovened it at 140 for 1.5 hours, then stuck a layer of new potatoes on top for another half hour.

http://fiddleheadsfood.weebly.com/uploads/9/7/4/6/9746562/avoca_cafes_beef__guinness_stew.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've made one of Jamie Oliver's ones (here) pretty often in the slow cooker, even though it's an oven recipe, iirc.

This thread might help, also. I've not used Guinness in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm also a fan of the Jamie Oliver version. Taste wise I think the FES is your problem. I bought that once by mistake and the stew tasted very bitter, was able to rescue it with some treacle :o I tend to use Beamish, it gives the nicest taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I use Smithwick's for the Jamie Oliver stew. Purely because it's a great way to use up a 6-Pack of Smithwick's I was given in a Kris-Kindle. I let it cook on the hob as my oven seems to dry everything out something awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Taste wise I think the FES is your problem.
    I agree, nice though Foreign Extra Stout is to drink on it's own (IMO anyway), it probably has a bit too strong a burnt malt taste for a stew like that. Even using 'normal' Guinness, I find that you need to cook it long and slow, otherwise you'll retain that bitter after-taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I have a general basic method (nicked and changed up slightly from much better cooks) that I use for beef stew.

1kg diced beef
    2 cups red wine or stout
    2 cups good quality beef stock
    1 punnet mushrooms
    1 large onion, finely diced
    2 carrots, finely diced
    1 stick celery, finely diced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/4 tsp thyme
    2 bay leaves, crumbled
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    Olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, flour

Set oven to 210

Heat a big knob of butter and a drop of oil in a large pan. Toss diced beef in flour and fry in butter until browned. Transfer to an oven-proof casserole dish.

Put the browned beef into the oven for 5 minutes to help deepen the colouring. Remove and turn oven down to 150.

Meanwhile, fry the onion, celery and carrot until softened. Add to the casserole. Now add the stock, red wine, thyme, puree, salt, pepper, crumbled bay leaves and garlic, and stir well. Cover and put in the oven for 2-2.5 hours, until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick. Stir every 45 mins or so to prevent sticking. Taste - you may wish to add a little sugar if the stout you have used is bitter. Red wine is usually fine without it.

While it is cooking, brown the mushrooms in butter and set aside.

Remove the casserole from the oven when you are satisfied the meat is tender. Stir in the mushrooms and set on a low heat on the hob for a few mins until the mushrooms are heated through. If any fat from the meat has risen to the top, you can now spoon it off.

I like to serve it with carrots, broccoli, mash and crusty baguette and butter. It's a little bit of work but it's so comforting and delicious.

It's even nicer on day two. Here's mine on day two, with a potato cake made from the leftover mash.

uy0wy.jpg

Sorry, I should add, a pastry topping works beautifully on this. Apologies if it's not very relevant to slow-cooking needs. :o

It could defo go in the slow cooker for the last stage, but perhaps you might use less liquid as there is no evaporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ive also used the Jamie one above.. cooked on the hob too..
    Stout wise ive tried it with Guiness Extra stout & oharas stout.. both very nice!

Usually make a huge dish and freeze portions.. Can make small individual pies at later dates then!!

• Advertisement

I'm also a fan of the Jamie Oliver version. Taste wise I think the FES is your problem. I bought that once by mistake and the stew tasted very bitter, was able to rescue it with some treacle :o I tend to use Beamish, it gives the nicest taste.
    Alun wrote: »
    I agree, nice though Foreign Extra Stout is to drink on it's own (IMO anyway), it probably has a bit too strong a burnt malt taste for a stew like that. Even using 'normal' Guinness, I find that you need to cook it long and slow, otherwise you'll retain that bitter after-taste.
    That's exactly the type of taste I get, a horrid bitter taste.

Is there a stout/ale anyone can recommend for it? As I don't drink stout/ales I'm not sure what to go for.

I appreciate all the lovely recipes here, deffo going to try one of them tonight. I have no casserole dish so my round pyrex will have to do for now :)

I just used a bog-standard can of Guinness I got in the off-licence. Cooked long and slow, and it's gorgeous.

I also do a giant pot of the thing, and now have five portions in the freezer :D

I always just use a can of draught Guinness or Beamish, too.

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I have no casserole dish so my round pyrex will have to do for now :)

As long as it has a lid that is a perfect casserole dish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Is there a stout/ale anyone can recommend for it? As I don't drink stout/ales I'm not sure what to go for.

I appreciate all the lovely recipes here, deffo going to try one of them tonight. I have no casserole dish so my round pyrex will have to do for now :)

The bitter taste could be the alcohol, turn the heat up on the pan and make sure the stout boils for a few minutes to remove the alcohol.

If you put the stout directly into the slow cooker the alcohol will not be removed and it will taste bitter.

As long as it has a lid that is a perfect casserole dish. :)
    Thankfully it does have a lid :D

I am dying to get my hands on a Le Cruset casserole dish, however until I win the lottery, it won't happen :) Boo!

Thanks a million for all the help guys. Going to get a can of regular guinness or beamish and try it.

Thankfully it does have a lid :D

I am dying to get my hands on a Le Cruset casserole dish, however until I win the lottery, it won't happen :) Boo!

Thanks a million for all the help guys. Going to get a can of regular guinness or beamish and try it.

Kildare Village outlet. Nuff said. That's what/where got me cooking beef stews :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This thread might help, also. I've not used Guinness in a while.

As TBO already pointed out, there's lots of info in an old thread including lots of options for beers to use.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Kildare Village outlet. Nuff said. That's what/where got me cooking beef stews :D
    As TBO already pointed out, there's lots of info in an old thread including lots of options for beers to use.
    Thanks a million, I'd forgotten about that link.

Going to use the O'Hara's in the red bottle :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw a few Le Creuset items in TK Maxx in Swords before Christmas, but I wasn't buying, so I don't recall how much they were, and I don't think they had any casserole dishes.

Oh, there's an an Irish site. http://www.lecreuset.ie expensive enough, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I suppose things like this can appear expensive, but when you consider that they'll almost certainly last an entire lifetime, and that people will gladly spend the same amount or more on electronic gadgets that will either become obsolete or break down within a year or so and be thrown out, then it doesn't seem quite that bad after all.

I used to buy cheap stuff and throw it away when it wore out, but I've stopped that and just save up until I can afford something that will last. I just wish I'd started doing it earlier and saved a lot more money in the long run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Thanks a million, I'd forgotten about that link.

Going to use the O'Hara's in the red bottle :)

http://www.carlowbrewing.com/beer_detail.php?Pid=24&PHPSESSID=089850f34bac897269eba4939730e6a9

good choice there

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've found the best way to to remove the slightly bitter taste in stews from alcohol and tomatoes is to add a dash of sugar.

I made the stew tonight using the Avoca recipe and used the O'Hara ale with the red label and let the stew boil for about 5-7 minutes to cook off the alcohol and put it in the oven for 1.5 hours and after taking it out of the oven I could still get a strong bitter taste from it, which I'm pretty sure was the ale, though I could be wrong.

I'll make another beef stew, this time without any alcohol and see what it is like.

I made the stew tonight using the Avoca recipe and used the O'Hara ale with the red label and let the stew boil for about 5-7 minutes to cook off the alcohol and put it in the oven for 1.5 hours and after taking it out of the oven I could still get a strong bitter taste from it, which I'm pretty sure was the ale, though I could be wrong.

I'll make another beef stew, this time without any alcohol and see what it is like.

Did you add a spoonful of sugar to it as suggested? I always need to add sugar when I use stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My recipe is easy and is a mishmash of various recipes I read about online. I recently served it to some Italian friends who demolished it.

500g casserole beef/lamb
    500g potatoes
    4-5 carrots
    1 big or 2 small onions
    1 can guinness
    1/3 bottle of red wine
    2-3 stock cubes
    Thyme
    100g butter
    Olive oil
    Tomato puree
    5-10 cloves of garlic (depending how much you like garlic)

1) Put 1 tbsp oil and 50g butter into a large pot at medium heat. Add in the meat and brown it. As soon as you see no more red, turn down to low and add in 2 tbsp tomato puree and the garlic finely chopped and stir through the meat. Once the garlic has started to sweat, add in the red wine.

2) Put 1 tbsp oil and 50g butter into a medium pot at medium heat. Finely chop the onion and add it in. Peel/chop the carrot and potato into medium chunks and add it in. Cover pot and leave aside for 20 mins.

3) While (2) is there, gradually add the can of guinness in drops at a time. Also gradually add in the stock. I use 1 oxo beef cube and 1 knorr cube (lamb if I'm cooking lamb) with about 150ml water. Keep adding and stirring gradually until (2 is done).

4) Once (2) is done, empty the entire contents into the big pot and stir. Add in a bunch of thyme. If you want, some Franks Hot Sauce for a kick is nice too. Cover and leave for 1.5-2 hours, stirring every 30 mins or so.

5) Once done, let to sit aside for about 15 mins before serving.

Did you add a spoonful of sugar to it as suggested? I always need to add sugar when I use stout.

No I didn't, I totally forgot about it :o

My boyfriend said if the stew was left to cook on the hob rather than in the oven the alcohol would have evaporated and there would only have been a hint of the flavour from it, is he right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you don't drink stout or ale, why cook with it? You can make perfectly good stews without it, or using red wine.

Faith wrote: »
    If you don't drink stout or ale, why cook with it? You can make perfectly good stews without it, or using red wine.

Because I thought the flavour of ale/stout wouldn't be too strong in stews and thought it might be nice, that's why I tried cooking with it.

I know I can make perfectly good stews without ale/stout and with red wine (but I don't like red wine so never use it in cooking) I just wanted to try something different and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

I think the sugar might be key. I never make a Guinness stew without adding a spoonful of sugar. It does the trick nicely.

I don't know about the scientific ins and outs of using alcohol in cooking but as far as I know, alcohol itself is tasteless, so by boiling it off quickly you're evaporating both the alcohol and some of the liquid content, thus intensifying the flavour of the stout or ale.

I would defo try the sugar next time. Hard luck.

Advertisement