Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef/guinness pie/stew

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Toast4532 wrote: »

Because I thought the flavour of ale/stout wouldn't be too strong in stews and thought it might be nice, that's why I tried cooking with it.

I know I can make perfectly good stews without ale/stout and with red wine (but I don't like red wine so never use it in cooking) I just wanted to try something different and there's nothing wrong with that.

No, of course there's nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't seem to be working out for you because of the flavour of the stout. I'm just making the point that there's plenty of stout and ale free alternatives if you don't enjoy those flavours, rather than trying to force those flavours into something you enjoy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Valkerie33

Hello Folks..

the bitterness would be from Hops in the Guiness. Alcohol flashes off rather quickly, so you would have not worries with that as Ethanol boils at a lower point than water.

Sugar could work, but I'd suggest Molasses for a more complex flavor profile. it will ad some color, less "sweetness" and would mask the bitterness but also complement the roasted barley notes of the Guinness.

Cheers to good food

Valkerie33

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to agree about stout or ale not being to everyone's taste. I've been making beef stews and pies for years, and I don't like them with added alcohol. I've tried the Avoca one and the Jamie Oliver one and I really prefer it without.
    It's a matter of personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Valkerie33 wrote: »
    Alcohol flashes off rather quickly, so you would have not worries with that as Ethanol boils at a lower point than water.
    It doesn't go as fast as many people think. Many people wrongly think that since alcohol boils at 78.5C that if you heat a mixture to this, or above it all the alcohol goes off, but it doesn't work like that. There is pretty much always some left over which could be an issue for people with religious dietary needs, or possibly alcoholics.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/alcohol-doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I havent logged in in ages but when I saw this thread I just had to.

I had the same problem a the first few times I made the pie. Now I add the Guinness after the whole dish is cooked through and ready to put in the oven. Cool the stew a little and then add in the Guinness and then into the dish. Obviously the stew needs to be a bit thicker than usual to allow this - but you dont need much ale as it has a strong taste anyway. That acrid bitter kick wont be present rather you will have the aley taste that makes the dish so special.

For an extra special touch I add tobacco onions at the last minuet as well.

When I making the pastry - I prefer Flakey not Puff - I add a little dried mixed herbs. Gives a little kiss to the overall taste.

Hope this help! Its my favourite dinner so Ive been perfecting my recipie for years :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Faith wrote: »
    No, of course there's nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't seem to be working out for you because of the flavour of the stout. I'm just making the point that there's plenty of stout and ale free alternatives if you don't enjoy those flavours, rather than trying to force those flavours into something you enjoy :).
    Apologies Faith, I thought you were trying to be smart with your original post, I misunderstood what you meant, apologies.

I like some stouts/ales, but not many and thought by trying different ones in cooking the flavours etc wouldn't be as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I find using halved shallots instead of onions adds extra sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

I had my first attempt at the Jamie Oliver stew there at the weekend and I was happy enough with my first effort.

Got that casserole dish in Aldi and had only made a jalfrezi in it so far but that worked out a treat.

Anyhow just wondering if/when people add spuds to the pot ? I halved about 10 baby spuds and put em in at the start, this is not in the recipe.

When the recipe says to take off the lid for the last 1/2 hour i noticed there was very little liquid left. Is it because the spuds were in too early or cos the oven temp he suggests is too high (180C) or a combo of both reasons.

I just added water to top it up and have the contents just about covered in liquid.

I was lovely and really tasty though but for next time can I reduce the temp to say 140/150ish and throw in the spuds later ? ? ?

BTW serves 4/6 ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feeder wrote: »
    I had my first attempt at the Jamie Oliver stew there at the weekend and I was happy enough with my first effort.

Got that casserole dish in Aldi and had only made a jalfrezi in it so far but that worked out a treat.

Anyhow just wondering if/when people add spuds to the pot ? I halved about 10 baby spuds and put em in at the start, this is not in the recipe.

When the recipe says to take off the lid for the last 1/2 hour i noticed there was very little liquid left. Is it because the spuds were in too early or cos the oven temp he suggests is too high (180C) or a combo of both reasons.

I just added water to top it up and have the contents just about covered in liquid.

I was lovely and really tasty though but for next time can I reduce the temp to say 140/150ish and throw in the spuds later ? ? ?

BTW serves 4/6 ha :D

I've only done the Avoca recipe that I posted above - no spuds in that either :D

I cook it for 2 hrs at 140, and put a layer of new potatoes on the top for the last half hour. I don't take the lid off at all, and wind up with a very liquidy result but I prefer it like that - mashed spuds soaking up all that gravy, yum yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

hi lads
    ave some leftover stew from last night ,going to heat it up tonight,what can i add to it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've only done the Avoca recipe that I posted above - no spuds in that either :D

I cook it for 2 hrs at 140, and put a layer of new potatoes on the top for the last half hour. I don't take the lid off at all, and wind up with a very liquidy result but I prefer it like that - mashed spuds soaking up all that gravy, yum yum :D

Thanks for the info Heidi, i tried the low temp today with tin foil but it was too watery, none of the liquid really evaporated off. Think I have it sussed now, tin foil and higher temp should see me right and no cover for the last 1/2hour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Faith wrote: »
    If you don't drink stout or ale, why cook with it? You can make perfectly good stews without it, or using red wine.

I would have to agree. I'm a guinness drinker, but having tried using stout a few times in stews, as pointed out by OP, I found it left a funny after taste that I didn't like.

A bottle of Red vino is the job in my books ;) And keep the content simple. Whole shallots and mushrooms, stock cube and bouquet garni along with some nice stewing beef . Season everything well with LOADS of black pepper (no need for salt, plenty of saltyness from stockcube)...... into the oven for 2-2.5hrs (160C)... YUM!!

Scoop out the meat and veg and thicken the sauce with a table spoon or so of cornflour (or plain flour), then throw everything back in.

Make two days in advance for extra .....WOW! ;) You don't even need to stick in the fridge. Leave in the casserole dish and place in a cool conservatory or similar. I find it ideal dinner party grub, especially impressive when dished up in mini casserole dishes with an optional puff pastry lid.

Advertisement