Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you been living in London? (New New poll)

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

This is another one of those inquiry threads where I ask a question and put up a poll to ask a question, but I've been wondering how long have people on this forum been living in London for.

I've been here about a year and a half now which is kind of hard to believe. What about ye? (Poll to follow)

Edit: Gah, just realised my options aren't much good :( - If you're less than a year, please state so.

How long have you lived in London? 42 votes

< 1 year
    0%
    1-2 years
    19%
    beer enigmablondie83shoutmanBluredregobPat2107Zizoubyrnesylimk 8 votes
    2-5 years
    33%
    tiborHead The Wallenda1philologos83stethetealduffaramax43r0pirateninjaexiledelbowscrunchie84AnnaVanillanagerWoolly_Jumper 14 votes
    5-10 years
    30%
    ChRoMeScarinaebiZrbemeraldstarAlessandraFeathersflukedjpbarryafatbollixLadyMayBellesilvervixen84Teaseyal28283 13 votes
    10+ years
    16%
    VokesharneyFyshPlayboyOtaconJack B. BaddStojkovic 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

10+ years
    And for those living between 5 and 10 years, should we come back to this thread when we hit the big 10 mark? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

2-5 years
    harney wrote: »
    And for those living between 5 and 10 years, should we come back to this thread when we hit the big 10 mark? :)

No. A new thread with better poll options including doing the half sensible thing of asking for < 1 year and adding greater than signs to 1 and 2 years. Ah well! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

10+ years
    I've made a new thread with a tweaked poll and merged it with the original thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

2-5 years
    Thanks for saving the thread and the poll Fysh, thoroughly appreciated :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

5-10 years
    I'm in between two of the options, there's a 3-5 and 5-10 but only 1-2.

I'm here 2 1/2 years :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

10+ years
    I'm in between two of the options, there's a 3-5 and 5-10 but only 1-2.

I'm here 2 1/2 years :-)

Ah fer cryin- gimme five minutes, poll version 3 coming up. Stoopid brain. *mutter mutter*

Edited to add: new poll now live, hopefully no more problems with it. I'm here a little over 5 years at this point, though most of the time it doesn't feel that long - I've now lived in London longer than I lived in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

10+ years
    Been here 6 years in January and love it. Every time I travel away from London I appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

10+ years
    Playboy wrote: »
    Been here 6 years in January and love it. Every time I travel away from London I appreciate it more.

I'm pretty much the same - it's a big old city and tiring at times but when I get a bit of a break from it (even a weekend), I always feel like I'm coming back to one of the best cities in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fysh wrote: »
    Ah fer cryin- gimme five minutes, poll version 3 coming up. Stoopid brain. *mutter mutter*

Edited to add: new poll now live, hopefully no more problems with it. I'm here a little over 5 years at this point, though most of the time it doesn't feel that long - I've now lived in London longer than I lived in Cork!

Snap, this missionary work is taking longer than I expected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Long enough to know the numbers of exits at my most used tube stations and where exactly to get on the tube so that I am closer to the exit when I disembark, depending on what stop I'm going to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

2-5 years
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Long enough to know the numbers of exits at my most used tube stations and where exactly to get on the tube so that I am closer to the exit when I disembark, depending on what stop I'm going to!

The 'JourneyPro' app does that for you.

Nearly two years and three years before that living in Brighton. I'd imagine London could be a bit overwhelming if moving over fresh from Ireland, so would recommend the halfway house route I took.

10+ years
    The 'JourneyPro' app does that for you.

Nearly two years and three years before that living in Brighton. I'd imagine London could be a bit overwhelming if moving over fresh from Ireland, so would recommend the halfway house route I took.

I think to a certain extent London's a big scary place when you first move here from anywhere, unless you've already lived in an equivalently sized city before. I lived here for 3 years in college in a town about the same size as Cork and was still overwhelmed for the first few months once we moved here. (These days I'm just whelmed...)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

5-10 years
    I'm here a bit over three years now :eek:
    Fysh wrote: »
    (These days I'm just whelmed...)

A sure sign that you're in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

5-10 years
    I've been here 3.5 years which is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

2-5 years
    I really need to contribute to this forum much more. I'm here 1 year, 6 months and 3 days and still enjoying it immensely. GAA preseason starts next week so my enjoyment may decrease considerably for a period :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm here two days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

5-10 years
    Came over in June 2010 'for a year'... two and a half years later, still here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

5-10 years

Same as meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not in London myself but I came to England for 'two years' with my girlfriend. Eight and a half years later we are married, with a house and daughter over here. I love everything I have here but for the right job I'd move to Ireland in a heartbeat.

Nothing like hopping into a car and knowing that in two hours you can be sitting down with family or friends for the weekend! Compare that to the money spent on three return air fares, commute to the airport, early morning airport security queuing and waiting around and then getting through the airport in Dublin before the trip home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

10+ years
    I'm here about 7.5 years. I don't live in London, but I do live inside the m25 so practically London. It's OK. I don't see myself going home at any stage, but don't see myself dying here.

At some stage I'd like a stint somewhere like Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm here since September, only over for a year, but if I get an offer to renew my contract, I reckon I could be staying. Next few months will tell a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

21 years....can anyone beat that? Took me 3 years to buy a weekly travelcard. Another 2, a monthly one. Love London but always think I will eventually move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

2-5 years
    Pudders wrote: »
    21 years....can anyone beat that?

Maura74 in the "Where abouts" thread has been in London since the early 60s!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82839884&postcount=91

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

11 years - the end is nigh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

14 years this autumn.

Where did all the time go? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

-4 days. Moving over on Saturday! :D

spacelucy wrote: »
    -4 days. Moving over on Saturday! :D

Best of luck! Just be wary of the Irish ;););)

old hippy wrote: »
    Best of luck! Just be wary of the Irish ;););)

Be quiet you, more fresh meat

Be quiet you, more fresh meat

Huh. Probably horse meat, no doubt ;)

• Advertisement

Pudders wrote: »
    21 years....can anyone beat that? .

Fraid so

Advertisement