Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meralgia Paresthetica

• 03-01-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi, ok so I have meralgia paresthetica for the past 18 months. I was diagnosed by a consultant in Bons Secours last February. Prior to this i was running 5-6 days a week now i do nothing, its so demoralising

Since the diagnosis I have had 3 cortisone injections which has provided me no reflief, been on Lyrica and Amitriptyline with no relief there either.

Is there anyone else with this condition?

Its driving me insane, constant burning feeling with numbness and pins and needles too

Thanks RP

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have something simliar due to my MS, I take a combo of gabapentin and amitritptyline, both serve to blunt, not eliminate the pain/discomfort.Have you talked to a neurologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Not yet, i have appointment on 31st Jan to see one, the waiting list to see a neuro is ages

The consultant that told me i have MP (general consultant) said there was not much more that he could do for me after performing the injections and perscribing the medication. He told me to try using a TENS machine, i did and it was pointless, from reading about MP it doesnt look like one of those that can be cured easliy if at all. I live in hope

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hopefullythe neuro will be more use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I got a call yesterday to say there was a free appointment with the neuro due to a cancellation.

Met the Neuro this morning, he told me i defiantly have meralgia paresthetica. He is sending me for CT scan of pelvis and abdomen to make sure nothing malicious causing the issue although he seemed to think there wouldn't be.

He said i could have got the trapped nerve (lateral cutaneous) from many different things and that it will heal in time, but when is anyone's guess. He told me he will prescribe cream for me and also for me to keep taking the amitriptyline and meet me in 4 weeks once the scans are back etc.

So now i feel in the situation i have a diagnosis but no real cure and no idea how long symptoms will last - its so frustrating. I read in some places people has surgery to decompress the nerve, now i don't like the thoughts of surgery but anything is better than this constant pain / burning i have.

Not sure what my next move will be but i am not prepared to wait 1-5-10 years for this to go away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi RedPeppers, I know it's an old thread, but could I ask how you're doing with regard to this? It looks like I have the same thing. I've been a to a lot of physios, and we've done a good bit of research and it's looking likely. My next stop I suppose will be the GP to try to get some sort of referral. It has sort of affected me for about 10 years but only when I lay on my back. But more recently it has flared up just walking around which is worrying me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement