Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business KW/h cost

Options
  • 03-01-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I am estimating my cash flow for a new business (I know, crazy). I estimate to be using about 8,500 KWH every two months.

The business is to be run in rural Mayo and I just need to have a realistic estimate for cash flow reasons.

Is there a specific deal I can avail of for such high usage or other options available to me to reduce costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi mralanduggan,

If you private message me your contact details, I will escalate your query to our Business team.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hi,

I am estimating my cash flow for a new business (I know, crazy). I estimate to be using about 8,500 KWH every two months.

The business is to be run in rural Mayo and I just need to have a realistic estimate for cash flow reasons.

Is there a specific deal I can avail of for such high usage or other options available to me to reduce costs?

Thanks

With that amount of usage, you'd fall into the DG5 grouping of customer (unless you require a maximum import capacity of more than 50kVA, which is unlikely given the amount of units you've estimated). As a result, your tariff should be either General Purpose or General Purpose Nightsaver. GPNS is more beneficial to you if ou use more than around 20% of your energy at night - quite possible if you have loads of fridges for example.
    GPNS standing charge is a bit higher than the GP one and the day units are a bit dearer than the GP 24hr unit cost but the night rate units are significantly cheaper and that's where you make the saving.
    You can't avail of deals for cheaper units for using more electricity because the EU have banned incentivising using more electricity by charging less the more you use.

I'd recommend you ring around. Standing charges in theory should be the same across all the suppliers so the difference there should be minimal. It's the nit rate where the main diference will be.
    If you know how much you use at night, you can decide if you should be GP or GPNS. Then just ring around, Electric Ireland, Bord Gais, Airtricity, Energia and see what rates they offer you.

Advertisement