Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

• 03-01-2013 11:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I've searched and there isn't a single thread on boards dedicated to this book.

I'm currently on page 68 according to my kindle, and already I'm going crazy. I've just passed the seemingly never ending filmography footnote of James Orin Incandenza.

Can someone please reassure me? At this point am I supposed to know wtf is going on?

No spoilers please. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I finished this book last year - great read!

68 pages in... No you should have no real clue what is going on. I think the first 2-300 pages are the hardest part, because each chapter seems to be a different thing and you don't know what order the years are. Saying that the whole book is a challenge. It's definitely worth it though.

If you're like me you'll hit a wall about half way through and want to start reading other books. I would recommend not to do this because there's a decent chance if you so you'll never return to infinite jest and finish it. Good luck :) it's one I my favourite books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This book keeps coming up on my recommended reading lists, but being over 1,000 pages long I just don't think I can make that kind of effort, too long for one book. It sounds like one of those books like Gravity's Rainbow or Ulysses which is just hundreds of pages of nonsense or just not an enjoyable reading experience, don't want to struggle through 500 pages only to have to give up on it because it's head wrecking. But maybe those who've read it can explain what it's about or what's so good about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

or Ulysses which is just hundreds of pages of nonsense or just not an enjoyable reading experience

not true. there are a couple of tough chapters in Ulysses - not nonsense mind you - but most of it is really enjoyable and definitely worthwhile reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I haven't read Ulysses so I can't comment on that. Infinite jest is really long and quite a challenge but it's also an amazing read. The reason I say you might grow weary of it and look elsewhere is because it just a tonne of information to read. It is not easy. A single page of that book took me as long to read as a 5 or 6 pages of any other book. The footnotes are crazy. they break the continuity of the book up a fair bit (for example having a ten page Footnote mid sentence). It's tough and even in the prologue (of my copy anyway) this is explained. However, it is modern, the language is beautiful, there are some amazing ideas in there. I think it's a book I will have to read a number of times to get everything out of it, but it's not a book I'm going to forget in a hurry.

http://infinitesummer.org/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This book keeps coming up on my recommended reading lists, but being over 1,000 pages long I just don't think I can make that kind of effort, too long for one book. It sounds like one of those books like Gravity's Rainbow or Ulysses which is just hundreds of pages of nonsense or just not an enjoyable reading experience, don't want to struggle through 500 pages only to have to give up on it because it's head wrecking. But maybe those who've read it can explain what it's about or what's so good about it?

I wouldn't let 1000 pages put me off reading anything, in fact the most enjoyable reading experience I ever had was from a book that was 1276 pages long.
    judgefudge wrote: »
    I haven't read Ulysses so I can't comment on that. Infinite jest is really long and quite a challenge but it's also an amazing read. The reason I say you might grow weary of it and look elsewhere is because it just a tonne of information to read. It is not easy. A single page of that book took me as long to read as a 5 or 6 pages of any other book. The footnotes are crazy. they break the continuity of the book up a fair bit (for example having a ten page Footnote mid sentence). It's tough and even in the prologue (of my copy anyway) this is explained. However, it is modern, the language is beautiful, there are some amazing ideas in there. I think it's a book I will have to read a number of times to get everything out of it, but it's not a book I'm going to forget in a hurry.

http://infinitesummer.org/

It's also quite funny at times, I'm less than 100 pages in and have had a few "LOL" moments...

"This boy is damaged."
    "Like a stick of butter being hit with a mallet."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Chryss

I've noticed that too. I have an Alert for David Foster Wallace and another Alert for Infinite Jest. I get dozens for DFW and zero - except for yours - for Infinite Jest. Finally, somebody wants to talk about the book.

I'm on my second reading, which is calmer than my first. I think I felt the same frustration that you do. I'm writing to ask you to hang in there.

On my first reading, I had to surrender, which I never do. I am arrogantly a reader at least the equal of any writer, so there. But not Infinite Jest. But it was so beautiful! Stunning! Meaningful around corners I couldn't reach (yet). So I gave in and kept reading. Of course I'm going to have to read it a dozen more times but now I know that will be pleasure.

So I ask you to keep reading, don't worry. You will be vastly rewarded, even on the first read. I promise. But don't dither and try to figure it out - just keep reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Tried reading Infinite Jest a few years ago, gave up page 100.

For some reason I bought The Pale King before I went on holidays and am mostly through it. Really enjoying it and I find it a lot more readable than I.J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

You should have stuck with IJ a little longer IMHO. After around 200 pages or so I found I was reading it because I was enjoying it, rather than because I was determined to stick with it. I flew through it after that point.

Must give the Pale King a go at some point.

Dragging up an old thread here but am going to read Infinite Jest. I am midway through Ellroy's American Tabloid and after that it's the big one. Anyone coming along for the ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

buck65 wrote: »
    Dragging up an old thread here but am going to read Infinite Jest. I am midway through Ellroy's American Tabloid and after that it's the big one. Anyone coming along for the ride?

Yeah - I'm just after buying an ereader, for no other reason than to read Infinite Jest!

I started the book a while ago, but the heft of it, combined with the endless back and forth to the end notes made me put it down about 100 pages in..

I'm a (physical) book person, but I think this is one book that will benefit from having one click access to the foot notes and to a dictionary :)

Let us know how you get on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm willing to sign up to this challenge. I've tried to read it several times, but I've never got farther than about page 300. It just seems so long at that point that I wonder if it will actually all eventually pay off. I've been told that there's a point that it just clicks and you'll be compelled to go the distance. Maybe a few of us going all the way is what will do it?

It bothers me that I haven't read it. I know DFW was a genius; his non-fiction is brilliant - wise, erudite and precise. To have not read his Magnum Opus is a bitter pill.

I'm going to attempt to scale the mountain again, beginning from Friday. Anybody want to come along?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

I've had this book for a while now but am a bit scared to start it - I want to make sure I can concentrate fully on it as it seems a bit indimidating. I'll join this challenge and read it next, once I've finished my current book.

Hi all, good to see there are a few here along for the ride. Flew through the first 100 pages as I read that before and am now onto page 202. Must say I'm enjoying it , there are many great passages of writing along with a few pages where I haven't the foggiest!
    I find it more readable after having read the more accessible Pale King. The style is similar so maybe I just needed to tune into the prose.
    Monday night is reading night for me as my wife is away, so potentially 20 pages this evening all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I also started it last week, primarily on the back of this thread and of watching The End of the Tour.

100 pages in. I'm reading it in conjunction with the Infinite Winter reddit page.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Started this last night, about 3 chapters in at the moment. I must check out the reddit subforum also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

So how are you guys faring at this stage?

I've read a (virtual) stack of books since getting an e-reader specifically for Infinite Jest, each time saying "just one more before I set off for Everest" :o

I've some time off in July where I intend to devote a couple of hours a day to it - must have a look at the links above in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Finished it.

The Reddit thread was a big help. It's a sprawling, showy, non-linear read, but there are plenty of interesting themes which I've been thinking about since.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    So how are you guys faring at this stage?

I've read a (virtual) stack of books since getting an e-reader specifically for Infinite Jest, each time saying "just one more before I set off for Everest" :o

I've some time off in July where I intend to devote a couple of hours a day to it - must have a look at the links above in the meantime

I hope to finish it during July. I have a stag to attend at the end of that month so I'm hoping to fill my brain with Infinte Jest beforehand and then to empty it once again in one felt swoop.

Advertisement